steady rests

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
been thinking about putting some sort of steady rest on the back side of my 31 inch grizzly lathe anyone have any suggestions of someone who makes them or has anyone ever tried the one the guy sells on ebay in the picture for $50

Attachments

• steady rest  1.jpg
    steady rest 1.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 421

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I bought it

Doesn't work too good for Carom shafts with the taper
Pool shaft shouldn't have much of a issue

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
I bought it

Doesn't work too good for Carom shafts with the taper
Pool shaft shouldn't have much of a issue

-
You'll have to change the wheels with rollerblade style wheels for carom shafts.
Sometimes the tooling is worthless... until it's modified!
The first thing you'll want to do if you buy from the eBay user is change the wheels to the black,flat and ribbed wheels then be sure to lightly wrap the shaft in clean release masking tape:wink: <~ you can use clear rubber hose slipped over the work piece or whatever you can dream up.
Enjoy

Rob.M

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What I have always suggested is a 2 foot piece of dovetail bed material and a steady rest to slide along it to hold the large end of the shaft for tip and ferrule work. Maybe a second steady rest with collets for joint work or a steady rest with chuck on it.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I have always suggested is a 2 foot piece of dovetail bed material and a steady rest to slide along it to hold the large end of the shaft for tip and ferrule work. Maybe a second steady rest with collets for joint work or a steady rest with chuck on it.

That is what I have. Works great for the full length bar cue repairs.