Tap fitting for 3 jaw chuck

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking for a fitting for my square ended tap, so i don't have to cut 3 grooves above the square in order to prevent it from sliding. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I was hoping to find a hex shank with a female square hole. Do these exist? If this isn't what you guys use, can you tell me what you guys do to prevent the tap from turning in the chuck? I tried tightening it down with all my might but it still turns when chucked against the round shank above the square.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking for a fitting for my square ended tap, so i don't have to cut 3 grooves above the square in order to prevent it from sliding. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I was hoping to find a hex shank with a female square hole. Do these exist? If this isn't what you guys use, can you tell me what you guys do to prevent the tap from turning in the chuck? I tried tightening it down with all my might but it still turns when chucked against the round shank above the square.

Well since it is square does it not stand to reason it was intended to be driven by something other than a drill chuck? There are numerous reasons why it can slip, but the most obvious is driving a square tool with a round one.

JC

Coos Cues
For taps larger than those can hold I came up with this:

1/4 carbide drill right down the middle of your HSS tap. Hold it with anything square from a T handle tap wrench to a crescent wrench.

P1040432.jpg

P1040433.jpg

JC

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For taps larger than those can hold I came up with this:

1/4 carbide drill right down the middle of your HSS tap. Hold it with anything square from a T handle tap wrench to a crescent wrench.

JC

Clever and creative solution.

Dale

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the trades, a lot when doing their apprenticeship, make a spring loaded centre that supports the tap when it is being used with a tap wrench or with a ratchet drive. Some like myself made a few in different sizes with both the centre point and with the recess taper on the other end of the plunger. Can be used in a lathe or mill or drill etc.
Neil

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
What modification did you have to do to use with the tailstock's chuck? I have the 93C.
Thanks.

Frank.

I keep the wrench aligned using a center in the tailstock (the center is a very nice feature of the Starrett models) and turn by hand. As per Neils advice a spring-loaded center works well. Note that I don't build cues but have owned and used many metal lathes over the years (decades).

Dave

metalware10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. spring loaded extension tap holder, better protection to avoid tap break during work.

2. straight shank, 2 flat face easy install and fix in position.

3. use ER20 collet max to 13mm dia (0.5")

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg