After many I've settled on my player!

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As mentioned before I started playing in Fall of 2016 again after a near decade absence from playing. I had sold my cues other than a Jim Buss sneaky which I didn't particularly like the shaft taper after having it altered back when I was playing. When I quit I played a Southwest and carried the Buss sneaky. Fast forward to year ago and I needed to find my player after I figured out I was crazy about pool again.

I ended up getting shafts made for the Buss from Josh Treadway. I actually liked it but my brother needed a cue and liked it so I gave it to him. Here's what I've tried a Blackcreek sneaky. Very well made with beautiful fullsplice. I found it to be not as stiff as I like. What I've played with while waiting for the next cue to show up. I still have it. A Blue Grass sneaky. I didn't get along with the handle and shaft taper seemed off. I sold it. Leon Sly, nice cue I found the handle to be too thin. I sold it. Gilbert J/B, never hit it. I've always preferred breaking with my playing cue. Seems like it'd make a fine player with a tip change. Still have it.
Then I got my Kent Davis. Immediately I liked it. Even though I was convinced this was the one, I ended up picking up a Southwest just to give it a try. It only reinforced my thoughts on the Kent Davis. I also found my back up sneaky as well. It's a Josey and I like it a lot. I could easily use a Josey as player. May even have to order another.
So there it is. My cue search is over. Kent Davis player and a Josey with a close second. I hope I can stay away from others. I'd like to try a Lomax and a Tascarella though.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You sound a bit like me....you will buy more cues.
People would hit with my two players and wonder why I was always looking at others.
I would tell them that having a good cue made it a free shot at finding one you like even better.

Forget you ever had money, Jazz....you're going off....:grin:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
As mentioned before I started playing in Fall of 2016 again after a near decade absence from playing. I had sold my cues other than a Jim Buss sneaky which I didn't particularly like the shaft taper after having it altered back when I was playing. When I quit I played a Southwest and carried the Buss sneaky. Fast forward to year ago and I needed to find my player after I figured out I was crazy about pool again.

I ended up getting shafts made for the Buss from Josh Treadway. I actually liked it but my brother needed a cue and liked it so I gave it to him. Here's what I've tried a Blackcreek sneaky. Very well made with beautiful fullsplice. I found it to be not as stiff as I like. What I've played with while waiting for the next cue to show up. I still have it. A Blue Grass sneaky. I didn't get along with the handle and shaft taper seemed off. I sold it. Leon Sly, nice cue I found the handle to be too thin. I sold it. Gilbert J/B, never hit it. I've always preferred breaking with my playing cue. Seems like it'd make a fine player with a tip change. Still have it.
Then I got my Kent Davis. Immediately I liked it. Even though I was convinced this was the one, I ended up picking up a Southwest just to give it a try. It only reinforced my thoughts on the Kent Davis. I also found my back up sneaky as well. It's a Josey and I like it a lot. I could easily use a Josey as player. May even have to order another.
So there it is. My cue search is over. Kent Davis player and a Josey with a close second. I hope I can stay away from others. I'd like to try a Lomax and a Tascarella though.

After I got my Josey, I quit looking. I'm sure there are many fine cues out there, but the Josey is it for me.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You sound a bit like me....you will buy more cues.
People would hit with my two players and wonder why I was always looking at others.
I would tell them that having a good cue made it a free shot at finding one you like even better.

Forget you ever had money, Jazz....you're going off....:grin:

You can say that stuff here. However, if you are married, don't tell your wife. They never forget.

Been there, done that.

I'm not saying I will never consider another cue but for right now I'm very pleased with the Davis as my main player and the Josey as a backup. All others that I have will be for sale.
Once I started to play again I figured out I should have never stopped. I truly love the game and want to become a strong of player as I can be. My goal was to find a cue that I like and get serious about bringing my game to the next level. I've got the cues that I'm comfortable with and now that portion is out of the equation.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had more cues than some and not as many as others. I have 6 cues left.
3 of those, along with the 5 shafts for them, are the best playing cues ever made. (IMO).
They are McDermott's, a D-1, a D-2, and a D-3.
(Le Pro's, Triangle's, and Pooldawg8's milkduds).
It's all pretty simple folks!

In my collection I have 3 TAD’s, 3 Gilberts and a Tascarella.

I wasn’t impressed with the Josey I purchased and returned it. I also have a BCM. I played it once and put it away. I want to return it. Again not impressed with it.

The ones I have kept are the first mentioned. The Gilberts are absolutely superb players. They also look nice and are of the highest quality. The TAD’s speak for themselves. Wonderful cues. The Tascarella is my newest purchase. It plays wonderful. It is my most expensive cue so it won’t be in the pool halls much. Same for my 4 point TAD window cue.

I make one of my Gilberts my player cue. It has not disappointed me or anyone that has played them. I can only give them the highest recommendation.

Consider it and you won’t turn back.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my collection I have 3 TAD’s, 3 Gilberts and a Tascarella.

I wasn’t impressed with the Josey I purchased and returned it. I also have a BCM. I played it once and put it away. I want to return it. Again not impressed with it.

The ones I have kept are the first mentioned. The Gilberts are absolutely superb players. They also look nice and are of the highest quality. The TAD’s speak for themselves. Wonderful cues. The Tascarella is my newest purchase. It plays wonderful. It is my most expensive cue so it won’t be in the pool halls much. Same for my 4 point TAD window cue.

I make one of my Gilberts my player cue. It has not disappointed me or anyone that has played them. I can only give them the highest recommendation.

Consider it and you won’t turn back.

I've got the Gilbert J/B which seems like it'd be a good player with a different tip. I haven't hit a ball with it and I haven't had tip installed. I'm going to sell it. I want to stick with the Kent Davis.
I do admit if the right Bobby Hunter showed up(Ebony Merry Widow). I'd have a hard time turning it down. I also have interest in a Lomax. Fortunately a nice Tascarella is over my budget.

Last edited:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got the Gilbert J/B which seems like it'd be a good player with a different tip. I haven't hit a ball with it and I haven't had tip installed. I'm going to sell it. I want to stick with the Kent Davis.
I do admit if the right Bobby Hunter showed up(Ebony Merry Widow). I'd have a hard time turning it down. I also have interest in a Lomax. Fortunately a nice Tascarella is over my budget.
Hit a SugarTree and you'll be converted to them right away.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hit a SugarTree and you'll be converted to them right away.

I snoozed on one earlier this year otherwise I would have. It's got to have a maple forearm. Someday. Unfortunately I don't come into contact with many guys with the cues I'm interested in. I'm usually buying and trying blind.

I have a Gilbert jump break also. They play fine but compared to his playing cues there is no comparison. His player cues breaks better than his jump break cues.