Why do some top players blatantly pattern rack (cheat) when on a live streamed table?

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it is easy to “cheat,”if you want. But it is also easy to behave honorably by actually paying no attention to the placement of the balls (other than the 1and 9). I always follow the rule when pattern racking is banned because honor trumps winning in my value system. But hey, that’s just me. Your values may vary.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be pretty easy to solve this problem by having a tablet or phone present with an app that randomly generates a racking sequence for each new game.

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
What if its rack your own :cool:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it is easy to “cheat,”if you want. But it is also easy to behave honorably by actually paying no attention to the placement of the balls (other than the 1and 9). I always follow the rule when pattern racking is banned because honor trumps winning in my value system. But hey, that’s just me. Your values may vary.

tenor.gif

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) it's unenforceable. Pattern racking is about high balls and low balls. It's not about exact spots. So, you could swap the 7 and 8 ball every rack and it's the same pattern... spots in the rack have low and high ball spots. How can you enforce that? You can switch balls every rack if someone has a problem.

2) many of your opponents are doing it. Are people just supposed to show up, pay their entry fees and lose because you have some illinformed idea of what cheating is. Ponder on this for a while, there's never been a truly random rack of nine ball... there's always a pattern to some degree, conscious or not. Who's the thought police? Unenforceable.

3) people need to get over pattern racking, or change the rules. Simple. It's not that hard to change rules to make them good. So do it. Don't complain about the players who are just out there trying to win games of pool. Make good rules or shut you mouth.

An interesting caveat to this situation is Mike Siegel, buddy hall and many others pattern packed for their opponents (in loser racks) for decades. Nobody seemed to have a problem then. Mike Siegel even came out and said he did this to his opponents in video. Still nothing. But now it's a problem all of the sudden because guys are putting together six packs all the time. Ooh wow, pro pool players putting down six packs. In short, people are morons.

Last edited:

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just rack the balls with the same pattern your opponent uses. Then, life is "fair" again. :thumbup:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be easy to develop a cell phone or tablet app that generates random ball placement every game... Problem solved.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I rack my 9 ball rack the same every time, could that be considered pattern racking?
I’ve always done it that way. If there is a “pattern” racking violation, then wouldn’t it
be fair for me to demand that my opponent have a random preshot routine? I would think
that the belief that pattern racking is cheating is more superstitious than science.
It seems to me that the real violation that might result from pattern racking is when you get to rack your own.
Make the opponent rack and the violation goes away

mikewhy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rack my 9 ball rack the same every time, could that be considered pattern racking?
I’ve always done it that way. If there is a “pattern” racking violation, then wouldn’t it
be fair for me to demand that my opponent have a random preshot routine? I would think
that the belief that pattern racking is cheating is more superstitious than science.
It seems to me that the real violation that might result from pattern racking is when you get to rack your own.
Make the opponent rack and the violation goes away
That's just it, isn't it? Recognizing that the rack can be manipulated effectively leads us to not play rack your own.

I have only one demand of my opponent: "Play Pool. Shoot shit later."

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are the rules as currently written:

For 9 Ball:

"2.2 Nine Ball Rack

The object balls are racked as tightly as possible in a diamond shape, with the one ball at the

apex of the diamond and on the foot spot and the nine ball in the middle of the diamond. The

other balls will be placed in the diamond without purposeful or intentional pattern."

For 10 Ball:

"9.2 Ten Ball Rack

The object balls are racked as tightly as possible in a triangular shape, with the one ball at the

apex of the triangle and on the foot spot and the ten ball in the middle of the triangle. The

other balls will be placed in the triangle without purposeful or intentional pattern."

I think the important part is; "without purposeful or intentional pattern"

The players that do it are INTENTIONALLY putting them in a pattern to suit their PURPOSE.

Should not be that difficult to enforce.

Also IMO all 9ball & 10ball WPA sanctioned events should have independent rackers....problem solved.

Here are "the rules"...what rules? WPA? Which of the 100's of tournies across the country use WPA rules, and which don't? Every tourney specifies which rules it uses (or should).

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny I always put the 2 in the back because it ends up in the middle of the table and the 1 rolls to the bottom corner. I only use a medium speed break though.

The 1 rarely goes to the bottom of the table on the break.

Sounds like you are breaking from the wrong end. Yoo should know better

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
The one time I saw this and would have called it a violation there wasn't a rule preventing
it, so, no violation, just maybe a little dirty.
Corey Deuel was playing and always racked the 2 and the 3 in the same place. He really
controlled his break and would generally make one of the wing balls or the one, use the
2 to get shape and the 3-9 combo in the bottom left corner just about every time.
I thought it was clever, but not terribly sporting. I guess your responsibility as a player is
to win, within the rules of course. I suppose to win you would try to remove the element
of chance, ie - if you can control the game, you can control the outcome. He did just that.
Within the rules, yes, but maybe not within the spirit.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
At my level I think pattern racking would up my runouts by about 1%.
Not enough to put fear in my opponent!;)
I'll give it a shot though. I'll take 2%.

rbpwrd240

Sponsored Player
Silver Member
I hate rack your own tournaments for this reason. Great players like John Morra and SVB are using the rack your own to their advantage by almost turning the racks into a system that they can shoot over and over again. John Morra put huge packs together at the Texas open and the Houston open this way. Years aga I watched Shane put a 5 pack together in 10 ball and probably more as I got tired of watching him shoot nearly the same rack each time.

On the other hand with opponent racks I dont mind so much about pattern racking to make your opponent have to work for it. If he misses you are shooting the same rack.