AE Schmidt 8' Pool Table - Value?

dearnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think one of two things can happen. First you may get someone who really doesn't know the value and pay you 1500 to2500 for it. (being an 8 foot table, ironically, in my opinion, this sort of helps you in this scenario).

Secondly, you only run across folks who are aware of prices, and then maybe 750 to 1000. Remember, this has to be disassembled, moved, re-assembled, new cloth, and all this will more than likely require the buyer to hire someone.

With a new table, usually these things are part of the price, along with a warranty. So, it pretty tough to get big bucks for a used table if you have an educated shopper.

I just sold an 8 foot Lotus (Schmidt). This poster has it just about right. If someone offers 1,000, I'd probably take it and be happy. Just look at Craigs list for comparable tables and you'll see that this poster is pretty much right on.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, all I can tell you is what I just paid for my A. E. Schmidt table - $3000. And I passed over a lot of $1000 Olhausens in my search.

Mine is the "Talon" model, which is about the same build quality as the one you mention, but a different style. You have to factor in a lot of things when selling a table. How will it be broken down and crated, who will move it, how much to have it installed, condition of the cloth and cushions, quality of accessories, etc.

Driving the cost of my table up was the fact that it came from a well known Schmidt dealer and antique table restorer. The table was compleatly reconditioned, with new cushions, Simonis 860 cloth, new set of Aramith Premier balls, good quality table brush, table light, bridge, box of chalk, and five one-piece cues. Free delivery and setup by one one the best table mechanics in the East.

Carry it out to their moving van price, as is, with no setup? $2000 is a fair price to ask IMO. They will need to pay about a grand beyond that figure to get all that I got above and beyond just the broken down table.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Dave, just noticed this thread. First of all if they originally paid over $5,000 for this table, then I think they overpaid. I would have to agree with the many posters on here who suggest this table is worth in the $1,000 range. Sorry but that's the reality of the used table market today. I've bought and sold literally hundreds of tables and the antique style is not in that much demand.

I also believe that an A.E. Schmidt might be superior to a lot of other similar tables, but most people are unaware of that. I've seen and bought similar tables for $500 (and less) and resold them for $1,000. Pretty thin margin for me here. That said there is always the possibility that someone could come along and give them more money for it.

Sometimes wealthy people don't ask too many questions. I once bought a nice Gandy Big G for $500 and left if in the back of my pick-up truck in the driveway of my home. I put a sign on it that said $2,500 just to see what would happen. The next day some guy in a Corvette came along and started asking questions. He had just bought a new condo and wanted a pool table RIGHT AWAY. Well he got one delivered that day for $2,500! With a set of balls, a triangle, a box of chalk (12) and four house cues. He was a satisfied customer!

Last edited:

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Dave, just noticed this thread. First of all if they originally paid over $5,000 for this table, then I think they overpaid. I would have to agree with the many posters on here who suggest this table is worth in the $1,000 range. Sorry but that's the reality of the used table market today. I've bought and sold literally hundreds of tables and the antique style is not in that much demand.

I also believe that an A.E. Schmidt might be superior to a lot of other similar tables, but most people are unaware of that. I've seen and bought similar tables for $500 (and less) and resold them for $1,000. Pretty thin margin for me here. That said there is always the possibility that someone could come along and give them more money for it.

Sometimes wealthy people don't ask too many questions. I once bought a nice Gandy Big G for $500 and left if in the back of my pick-up truck in the driveway of my home. I put a sign on it that said $2,500 just to see what would happen. The next day some guy in a Corvette came along and started asking questions. He had just bought a new condo and wanted a pool table RIGHT AWAY. Well he got one delivered that day for $2,500! With a set of balls, a triangle, a box of chalk (12) and four house cues. He was a satisfied customer!

Hey Jay,

Thanks to all that participated in this thread, my in-laws appreciate it - no problem for the late response Jay :).. I just heard from them and was told they may have found a buyer in their plumber. Your pricing helped them settle on a price so she appreciated it. Not sold yet officially but they think they have a deal for when they move.

Dave