I need some advice on which table to buy.

Shooter32

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My table is a red label and no it has not been converted to the blue label specs .

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snatch up that GCIII, I am waiting for Mark to redo my rails, and if I could've found a table

close to me that he has modified it would of been my first pick. But that GCIII looks too good

to be true.

I agree, that GC III is a very pretty table. My wife loves the way it looks. I am just afraid it will not play like the diamonds I am use to playing on.

See, the thing is......most all the tourneys (and cash games) I plan in are played on Diamond tables and I do not want to have to adjust from one table to another every time I leave my home table to play.

I do not mind adjusting from one "playing condition" (weather, dirty/clean felt..etc..etc..) but I had rather not have to adjust from one "type" table to another due to the rails and pocket being different.

I have noticed that after I play on a valley table for a few days I have a very hard time adjusting to ANY diamond but when I play on a diamond table for a few days......especially a 9' diamond for a few days I can switch to a valley or olhausen...etc of any size with almost no adjustment. Matter of fact the valleys and olhausen tables seem to play much, much easier after being used to the 9' diamond. For that reason alone I am leaning toward the 9' Diamond.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds as if you are looking for a table to play close to the Diamond ......why not just get a Diamond. .. I'm assuming you are looking at the GCs to stay within your price range.
GCs will play great for you if you get them set up right.... but if you are financially able you cant go wrong getting the Diamond

You are partly right. I want a table that plays very close to a Diamond if not exactly like a Diamond.

As for the budget, well, I have one (dont we all...lol) but it will allow a new Diamond and light if push comes to shove.

The biggest issue with a new Diamond is the wait time. I hate the idea of having to wait months for a table but will if I have to.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy either GC, no they don't play like Diamonds, thank god.

I do not remember playing on a Gold Crown. I have played on a gazillion olhausens, brunswicks (not GC's though), connelly's, big G's, steepleton, valleys and various others....ranging from 7' to 12' years ago but for the life of me I cannot remember playing on a Gold Crown.

I am loyal to things if I really like them which is why I keep going back to halls that have the Diamonds.

I am not saying that a diamond plays better than a GC.......I cant since I have never played on one. I wish there was one local to me. I would go play on it ASAP.

To you, what makes a GC better than the Diamond?

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
I do not remember playing on a Gold Crown. To you, what makes a GC better than the Diamond?

Rails are the difference. Diamond rubber not only banks much differently but are far too quick, especially combined with Simonis.

I feel this makes the game easier for many in both respects, easier to bank & banks that aren't possible with super speeds can be made on Diamonds as well as making players with no real stroke look like great players as you don't need a stroke to get around on a Diamond. They turn B players into A players & A players into shortstops that revert back to their real levels of play once faced with playing on a GC.

I've spoken with numerous pros that like Diamonds because they simply play better on them, it's an easier table. That may be to the liking of some but I'm not among them. I prefer the Gold Crown with Super Speed rails ratcheted down to 4 1/4" pockets. To me that table, to those specs, is the more challenging test of ones true game. YMMV.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rails are the difference. Diamond rubber not only banks much differently but are far too quick, especially combined with Simonis.

I feel this makes the game easier for many in both respects, easier to bank & banks that aren't possible with super speeds can be made on Diamonds as well as making players with no real stroke look like great players as you don't need a stroke to get around on a Diamond. They turn B players into A players & A players into shortstops that revert back to their real levels of play once faced with playing on a GC.

I've spoken with numerous pros that like Diamonds because they simply play better on them, it's an easier table. That may be to the liking of some but I'm not among them. I prefer the Gold Crown with Super Speed rails ratcheted down to 4 1/4" pockets. To me that table, to those specs, is the more challenging test of ones true game. YMMV.

I had to google YMMV to see what it meant. I'm either old and behind times or everyone else is young and lost...dunno....lol.

I may feel the same way if I ever got to play on a GC but I do not think it is gonna happen.

I can say that, to me, the diamond 9' plays tougher than any other table in my area that is available to the public.

Thanks for the info...

TheRake

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
As I said in another thread, I comb CL at least once a week.

I don't know jack on the differences of those two but...

The GCIII is gorgeous. My pick for sure. The ppl selling it are enthusiasts. They aren't coming off that price much I'm guessing. But that table is perfect I bet.

The 4, those ppl want to get the hell out of there, are recreational players at best is my thinking. I'd lowball the $%^ out of them.

When I got the 4 ppl to bottom, I'd contact the ppl w the three and say look, I can get this for x, you guys wanna sell the 3 for that, let me know.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just go ahead buy a diamond table. I used to play on gold crown tables alot. The thing i didnt like about them was that the pockets play (substantially) tighter the harder you hit the ball.

i play on diamonds with 4.25 in pockets, and i fell pretty comfortable juicing most shots in on it. The pockets play very similar whether the object ball is hit hard or soft. It's a little looser with a soft shot, but not much.

Also, on diamonds i shoot for center of pocket, instead of pro side of pocket like i would on a gold crown. (gold crown, over cut shot slightly and hit it soft, and the pocket is very forgiving, even triple shimmed ones)

Get a diamond they are alot less aggravating, and the bigger tourneys are all on diamonds (the open ones anyway).

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sounds like you want a Diamond. Neither of the GC's you linked will play exactly like one. The GC 3 will play closer, because it has Artemis rubber. BUT, Mark Gregory does not install the Artemis rubber like Diamond does. He installs the cushion flipped over from the way Diamond installs it. (he also thinks stock Diamonds play like pin ball machines). He has posted about this before on here.

Get the table you want. Order it now, and then spend every day in the pool hall till it comes. You'll have your pool fix that way.

Captain18

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are partly right. I want a table that plays very close to a Diamond if not exactly like a Diamond.

As for the budget, well, I have one (dont we all...lol) but it will allow a new Diamond and light if push comes to shove.

The biggest issue with a new Diamond is the wait time. I hate the idea of having to wait months for a table but will if I have to.

The wait time is tough.... but when it arrives you know it was worth the wait!
I do love playing on GCs, but given the choice I'll take the Diamond every time.

And I agree it is easier to go from a Diamond to other tables than the other way around.... ( like practicing on a 9' then playing on a 7')..
And if the places you play have Diamonds then it makes sense to have one at home to practice on.... and if you plan on attending regional or national events, especially BCA or other leagues.... they play on Diamonds or will be making the switch soon enough.

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snatch up that GCIII, I am waiting for Mark to redo my rails, and if I could've found a table

close to me that he has modified it would of been my first pick. But that GCIII looks too good

to be true.

I agree, have the same table and love the way it plays. Never played on a Diamond though. I had Brunswick super speed rails and Simonis 860 cloth put on. As I understand it, the pockets can be shimmed to a max of 1/4 on each side to get 4.5 pockets. Mine are 4.5. But if those rails have been extended that is a very good buy. Especially with the pocket covers and feet being power coated.
See my avatar.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
It sounds like you want a Diamond. Neither of the GC's you linked will play exactly like one. The GC 3 will play closer, because it has Artemis rubber. BUT, Mark Gregory does not install the Artemis rubber like Diamond does. He installs the cushion flipped over from the way Diamond installs it. (he also thinks stock Diamonds play like pin ball machines). He has posted about this before on here.

Get the table you want. Order it now, and then spend every day in the pool hall till it comes. You'll have your pool fix that way.

Never heard the pinball thing before, how so?

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to add something I have said before in another thread.

Installing, setting up and removing pool tables are costly endeavors.

Pool tables last longer than we will.

So...... get the the table you want the first time and avoid the possible cost and hassle of changing a table.

JMHO

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Mark knows. 🔥

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The wait time is tough.... but when it arrives you know it was worth the wait!
I do love playing on GCs, but given the choice I'll take the Diamond every time.

And I agree it is easier to go from a Diamond to other tables than the other way around.... ( like practicing on a 9' then playing on a 7')..
And if the places you play have Diamonds then it makes sense to have one at home to practice on.... and if you plan on attending regional or national events, especially BCA or other leagues.... they play on Diamonds or will be making the switch soon enough.

There are no diamond tables in my area. All of the tables in my area are just like the places they are in and that is chitty at best.

One place is called The Side Pocket Lounge......DIVE at best. Tables and ALL other equipment is cheap and not maintained. But at least they still charge going rates...lol. It cost $16 a hour for two people to play on same table.

Another place here is called Tennessee Street Billiards (aka...the old "Smoke House")........another DIVE.......but not as bad as the Pocket. They have the same type and level of tables but at least they know their equipment is less than desired so they charge much less. It cost $8 a hour for two people on same table.

If I play on any of the above tables for any length of time and then try to play on a diamond........lol......lets just say I will have a very big adjustment period.

On the other hand, if I play on a diamond in Decatur or Huntsville for a few days then I have almost zero adjustment other than ball speed.

Yeah, Florence Alabama sucks as far as pool halls go.

Bumpers in Birmingham and in Huntsville and in Decatur Alabama all have an arm band day ......everyday.........for $5 or $7 (depending on place) a day for unlimited play but here in Florence.......lol...........they want to charge premium rates for some of the most crappy tables on earth. Yeah, it's that bad.

EDIT: I forgot about one table at a friends in my area. It's an Olhausen. It is all stock but the felt. It has the regular tournament blue 860 on it. To me it plays better than anything in my town.........by far. I have come to the point where I either play at his house (which is at most 1 or 2 days a month due to his work schedule) or make the drive (1 to 2.5 hours depending on which place) Decatur (six pockets), Huntsville (bumpers) or Birmingham (bumpers).

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OUCH!!!!!!
:grin::grin::grin:

That GC3 would have been perfect had it not been Diathudendized.
Well almost because GC3's don't have pinned slates ( unless modified ).

I wish Mr PerfectPocketz was local here.

Could you go into a bit more detail? I have no idea and am curious to what you mean. Thanks!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Installing, setting up and removing pool tables are costly endeavors.

Pool tables last longer than we will.

So...... get the the table you want the first time and avoid the possible cost and hassle of changing a table.

JMHO

That is exactly why I am asking so many people so many questions. I do not mind spending what some say is to much for a pool table as long as it is what I truly want.

However, I do have a hard time spending very much for something if it is just "close" to what I want.

BTW, If I bought the GC III for $2,950 then paid to have it moved......ballpark of $500 (just a guess) I would then have $3,450 in it and it would just be laying in pieces in my garage. I then would have to pay RKC to come to my house to do his thing and that is what scares me.....lol.....not his work but I've heard he is not cheap as he is suppose to be one of, if not the best table guy out there.

By the time I paid the $3,450 and then paid RKC $????? to do his thing I am pretty certain I would have within ~$!,500 (just a guess) of a new Diamond.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said in another thread, I comb CL at least once a week.

I don't know jack on the differences of those two but...

The GCIII is gorgeous. My pick for sure. The ppl selling it are enthusiasts. They aren't coming off that price much I'm guessing. But that table is perfect I bet.

The 4, those ppl want to get the hell out of there, are recreational players at best is my thinking. I'd lowball the $%^ out of them.

When I got the 4 ppl to bottom, I'd contact the ppl w the three and say look, I can get this for x, you guys wanna sell the 3 for that, let me know.

I comb CL daily. Heck, I comb CL several times a day on some days.

The GC III is a good looking table and you are right about them not coming off the price. They had that same table months and months ago for pretty much same price and they are still asking same for it. Well, they have went from $3,000 to $2,950....lol....then again price is not the biggest factor to me.

To me if it does not play extremely close.......I mean so close that the most experienced would not know the difference......well, then that table is not worth what they are asking (to me).

BTW, I have not called either seller as of yet. I hate for people to call me when I sell something and just kick the tires.

If I decide I want a GC I will at that time contact them and try to work out a deal........by then it may be gone.........then again, they have had it for a long time now.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
I have had both a GC III and a GC IV in my house (Still have a Black GC IV). The IV is the better table for a couple reasons. The pockets are recessed flat with the top of the rails, the IV also has better leg leveling and slate leveling (something a table mechanic I am sure can better explain). But for me as a player, the recessed pockets on the top rail is a huge bonus. My current GC IV has 4 1/2" pockets (now called a Tournament Edition with the V). I have a couple local rooms with Diamonds, so good to have a GC at home. It is never good to just play on one type of table. I personally like a well set up GC IV over the Diamonds shelf design.

Last edited:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just have a good local installer put the table together. The GC3 had already been worked on by Mark Gregory.

3000+500 shipping + 400 install.

You should be gtg at 4K.

New Diamond pro-am + cyclops = $5500 + shipping

But once, cry once.