Miz vs. Charlie the Tuna

barryc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Mizerak question. (sort of) I have a Palmer cue with "Charlie the Tuna" in the butt, which I sent back to Steve to have signed. When I did he told me the story of how he came by it. The cue was won from Charlie the Tuna who was a player in the South Jersey area. I think the match may hve been in Cherry Hill. In any case I was wondering if anyone knew of Charlie the Tuna or the match? I'm from the South Jersey area originally and never knew Steve when he was playing. I did talk to him a few times before he died and have an aquaitance who knew him well, so I know some the story but would like to get some more info, mostly just for the history of what happened and who Charlie the Tuna was.

barryc

barryc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell me these nicknames and the picture of this guy don't look "back east" enough to have a possible connection ...

http://www.tropicanabowlingalley.com/players.html

-Ivan
Yep, they do. I couple I've actually heard of and I actually saw Charlie the Tuna mentioned. Who ever he was I don't think Steve liked him because when I asked what happened to him Steve told me "Someone probably shot the sonaof*****!" Sounded very funny in a NJ accent. When you see Salamander he can tell you about the cue. He's seen it.

barryc

DogLoop

Doing some cueing ?
Silver Member
Ok

Barry,

I will ask him about it, I'm sure I'll see him at the hall before the month's out.

-Ivan

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Charlie tune

I have a Mizerak question. (sort of) I have a Palmer cue with "Charlie the Tuna" in the butt, which I sent back to Steve to have signed. When I did he told me the story of how he came by it. The cue was won from Charlie the Tuna who was a player in the South Jersey area. I think the match may hve been in Cherry Hill. In any case I was wondering if anyone knew of Charlie the Tuna or the match? I'm from the South Jersey area originally and never knew Steve when he was playing. I did talk to him a few times before he died and have an aquaitance who knew him well, so I know some the story but would like to get some more info, mostly just for the history of what happened and who Charlie the Tuna was.

barryc
Barry,
Charlie tuna was a pretty good shortstop that played in the Four Seasons poor room in Metuchen N.J. and was Owned by the Miz and his partner Goose.
Charlie was a real action guy, loved to bet on pool games and cards, dice, flip coins, anything you could name. He was a pretty big better for that era when he had money. He played Mike Sica I'm sure, the Miz and most of the regulars there. Haven't seen him in twenty years, that pool room closed now and Charlie left town long before. He was also friendly with Allen Hopkins I believe.
JerseyBill

barryc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry,
Charlie tuna was a pretty good shortstop that played in the Four Seasons poor room in Metuchen N.J. and was Owned by the Miz and his partner Goose.
Charlie was a real action guy, loved to bet on pool games and cards, dice, flip coins, anything you could name. He was a pretty big better for that era when he had money. He played Mike Sica I'm sure, the Miz and most of the regulars there. Haven't seen him in twenty years, that pool room closed now and Charlie left town long before. He was also friendly with Allen Hopkins I believe.
JerseyBill

Thank you for the background. Where ever he went he didn't take his cue because I have it in a case. I got the story on the cue from Miz and a guy that used to hang out with him some, named Vince. I really wished later that I had asked him to write it down so I could frame the letter and the cue together. I didn't play pool when I was younger and never realized there were such characters in the Jersey, Philadelphia area. Not to mention the cue makers who resided in the area. Guess I was too busy catching fish and playing baseball. Thanks again.

barryc

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tuna

Thank you for the background. Where ever he went he didn't take his cue because I have it in a case. I got the story on the cue from Miz and a guy that used to hang out with him some, named Vince. I really wished later that I had asked him to write it down so I could frame the letter and the cue together. I didn't play pool when I was younger and never realized there were such characters in the Jersey, Philadelphia area. Not to mention the cue makers who resided in the area. Guess I was too busy catching fish and playing baseball. Thanks again.

barryc

Barry,
I did hear a rumour about him recently, I'm not sure if he was supposedly dead or someone wanted him dead. I know it wasn't good. Charlie like to win the money and maybe didn't care how he won it as much as some other people would. All in all he was a real "Damon Runyon" as Tommy Halliday used to say.

Luther Blissett

on the clapham omnibus
Silver Member
Found a pic. Is this him?

0121081216.jpg