My amazing full spliced player

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some pictures of the future shaft in progress.
On the joint end there is a phenolic insert where brass female sits with 8" carbon fiber rod going into the insert so it is one solid piece inside the shaft. The idea was fairly simple so as my shaft is 2" longer I did not want it lose its stiffness. On the other end there is 7" carbon fiber tube. There will be no ferrule but just T-shape pad sitting in the tube. We'll see how it works when is ready. Very curious about it but some patience is needed. I'm turning the shaft slowly but surely to the final taper. I quess two more turnings with some time between to try it finally in play.

Attachments

• IMG_9946 (??????????).JPG
    IMG_9946 (??????????).JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_9947 (??????????).JPG
    IMG_9947 (??????????).JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_9952 (??????????).JPG
    IMG_9952 (??????????).JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_9954 (??????????).JPG
    IMG_9954 (??????????).JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Some pictures of the future shaft in progress.
On the joint end there is a phenolic insert where brass female sits with 8" carbon fiber tube. On the other end there is 7" carbon fiber tube. There will be no ferrule just T-shape pad sitting in the tube. We'll see how it works when is ready. Very curious about it but some patience is needed. I'm turning the shaft slowly but surely to the final taper. I quess two more turnings with some time between to try it finally in play.

Bad ass man should play pretty sporty.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some more sunshining photos of the butt...

Attachments

• IMG_9816 (??????????) (??????????).JPG
    IMG_9816 (??????????) (??????????).JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_9817 (??????????).JPG
    IMG_9817 (??????????).JPG
    198 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_9814 (??????????).JPG
    IMG_9814 (??????????).JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_9819 (??????????).JPG
    IMG_9819 (??????????).JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_9826 (??????????).JPG
    IMG_9826 (??????????).JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 367

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The happiest playing day

After three very long months of waiting for final turning down it's finally completed today and of course I was so curious to find out how it plays that I went to our pool hall immediately to test it. All I can say I'm just absolutely satisfied with how the shaft alone and the cue together turned out. I love the hit, the taper and the feedback. I got just what I wanted to. It's stiff enough for my taste and has very similar deflection with 314/2 but better feedback and that's being 31" long. I'm also satisfied with the weight of the finished shaft. It's 4,65oz and the cue together weighs 21oz. Not a bad result for 62" cue with such hard and heavy woods in it. And from now I'm a ferrule less fan:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_20180314_212022 (Копировать).jpg
    IMG_20180314_212022 (Копировать).jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_20180314_212055 (Копировать).jpg
    IMG_20180314_212055 (Копировать).jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_20180314_212155 (Копировать).jpg
    IMG_20180314_212155 (Копировать).jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_20180314_212323 (Копировать).jpg
    IMG_20180314_212323 (Копировать).jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_20180314_212514 (Копировать).jpg
    IMG_20180314_212514 (Копировать).jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

bstroud

Deceased
Very nice looking cue.

As the co-inventor of the Uniloc and the one who named it I am pleased you have chosen to use it.

Bill S.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice looking cue.

As the co-inventor of the Uniloc and the one who named it I am pleased you have chosen to use it.

Bill S.

It's the honour to use the co-invention of such a great cuemaker in my cue. Thanks for your kind words.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After one week of playing with completed cue it seems that in spite of some issues with my neck and back with a new cue I start to enjoy the game again like it was in the very beginning. It is just much easier to make most shots I had some troubles with because now I have just enough length with comfortable balance and can easily reach any shot on the table. The cue is just extremely stiff and has a great feedback. I reached also one of my major goal by building the shaft being 2' longer than standard but also stiffer than all the shafts I used to play and try. So I can't be happier with how the cue plays, feels and sounds. Here are two short videos with two standard drills for rotation games. Now it is much easier to complete them:rolleyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GETwjn3MSZo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZimtnnWgbSw

Last edited:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Decided to leave only one dash ring instead of a pair and finally put the phenolic bumper.

Attachments

• IMG_0100 (Копировать).JPG
    IMG_0100 (Копировать).JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is first time I have the cue with phenolic bumper and I definitely like the look:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_20180411_190754 (Копировать).jpg
    IMG_20180411_190754 (Копировать).jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_20180411_190639 (Копировать).jpg
    IMG_20180411_190639 (Копировать).jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
Very nice looking cue. I'm not sold on the carbon fiber joint and butt cap but it looks pretty sweet. It also looks like it fits you pretty darn well in the videos you posted.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice looking cue. I'm not sold on the carbon fiber joint and butt cap but it looks pretty sweet. It also looks like it fits you pretty darn well in the videos you posted.
Thanks for your compliments. There were quite a few things I tried first time when I built this cue but I remember my teacher's favorite rule very good and it's simple as it could be.. "learning by doing". This is how I found what cue's length works the best for me for example. The video might be helpful for those such tall players as me who also feels the lack of the standard length cue and want to figure out what will fit them. Here you can see how 62' cue looks in hands of 6'5 tall man.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
Thanks for your compliments. There were quite a few things I tried first time when I built this cue but I remember my teacher's favorite rule very good and it's simple as it could be.. "learning by doing". This is how I found what cue's length works the best for me for example. The video might be helpful for those such tall players as me who also feels the lack of the standard length cue and want to figure out what will fit them. Here you can see how 62' cue looks in hands of 6'5 tall man.

I’m 6’1 and play with a 60” cue and it fits me perfectly. Here is a video of me practicing with my 60” JMW(though I’m a big fat guy lol):

https://youtu.be/1kCawfLMUQI

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m 6’1 and play with a 60” cue and it fits me perfectly. Here is a video of me practicing with my 60” JMW(though I’m a big fat guy lol):

https://youtu.be/1kCawfLMUQI

I believe you have very beautiful and good hitting cue from such a great cuemaker and yeah it looks like it fits you fairly well. Good run out in the first rack btw.

Last edited:

deraltefritz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's getting redundant, but cannot be said too often: very, very impressive cue! Construction, design, choice of woods, ... superb!

I'm in the process of making a cue for myself as well (a one-piece 60" hand spliced snooker/pool hybrid), but I'm not yet sure about what type of ferrule to use. Was also considering going ferrule less, which brings me to my question:

... There will be no ferrule but just T-shape pad sitting in the tube. We'll see how it works when is ready. ...

... And from now I'm a ferrule less fan :rolleyes: ...

Could you share a little more information on that "T-shape" pad you used? Is it a cylinder with a smaller tenon that fits right into the shaft? If so, is it glued only, or threaded/screwed into the shaft? How far is the tenon going into the shaft?
If you had a picture of the pad before installation, that would also be lovely..

Thank you in advance!

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's getting redundant, but cannot be said too often: very, very impressive cue! Construction, design, choice of woods, ... superb!

I'm in the process of making a cue for myself as well (a one-piece 60" hand spliced snooker/pool hybrid), but I'm not yet sure about what type of ferrule to use. Was also considering going ferrule less, which brings me to my question:

Could you share a little more information on that "T-shape" pad you used? Is it a cylinder with a smaller tenon that fits right into the shaft? If so, is it glued only, or threaded/screwed into the shaft? How far is the tenon going into the shaft?
If you had a picture of the pad before installation, that would also be lovely..

Thank you in advance!

Thanks for your kind words.
With regards to that T-shape pad... It is pretty simple: black phenolic pad 2 mm thick with short tenon (4-5 mm) and 6 mm in diameter. This tenon goes inside the carbon fiber tube in the shaft (glued only). So this pad substitues the common ferrule. On top of this pad I put a common pad out of brown phenolic 1-1,2 mm thick in order not to worry during the tip change.
After building two more shafts (wood out of the same board of hard maple) but with small ferrules out of tomahawk material for LD properties I can say my ferrule less shaft has different hit feeling and sound (crisp). So the ferrule depending of the material used may soften the hit. Here you can see some pictures of another shaft I've built with the same pad https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6219698#post6219698
I wish you all the best with your project).

Last edited: