OB Cues DigiCue BLUE - Official Passaround Reviews

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First let me thank Shane again for giving myself and this group a chance to demo the new DigiCue BLUE well before it's released to the public. We'll be passing this device around between a handful of members who signed up in my initial thread and it's starting it's way to California today. The members are (in shipping order):

pocket
AuntyDan
iusedtoberich
Coop1701
TommyT
madhatter44
hang-the-9
MOJOE
medallio

Now, time for my review!

I was hoping to add some pictures but unfortunately I haven't found a replacement to Photobucket yet and I can't seem to figure out Flickr.

The device itself looks just like the original DigiCue and it mounts to the cue and turns on in the same fashion. After that though....things are very different....and oh so much better!!

The original DigiCue was a great device that gave instant feedback on whether you had made a good or a bad stroke. Very useful during practice or even play to hone in your focus on stroke fundamentals.

The downside of the original DigiCue was when it let you know you did something wrong you didn't know what you had done wrong. That has all changed!

With DigiCue BLUE you download an app onto your phone and it quickly and easily connects to the device once they're both turned on. From there you can start hitting balls. Just like the original model when you make a poor stroke the device vibrates to let you know and when you make a good stroke it doesn't. But.....now you have the app too. After every stroke the app gives you a readout that tells you how your stroke was across several key attributes. This information is invaluable I found! I was getting great marks consistently in some areas and fluctuating in others. This allowed me to really work on the areas I was struggling and know what I was doing wrong and how to correct it.

I'll be honest....my straightness scores where not where I'd like them to be! Some were great, plenty were bad. I was happy though that I was consistently good in others areas.

One of the things I really love about this new device and the app is that it allows you to custom tailor what you want it to look for to determine a good vs. bad stroke. You can go into the settings and pick Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced but you can also custom select certain settings that may not match up to the presets for a given level.

For example, I went with intermediate during my testing (because as much as I wish I was, I'm just not that good). But, I really like to work on having a short pause at the end of my backstroke which is not part of the intermediate setting. I was able to custom set that short pause requirement for a good stroke however and custom tailor the setting to my preferred stroke style. Now I was able to get direct feedback on whether or not I was pausing as I wanted to in my backstroke.

And you don't have to check after each stroke either, it keeps a history that you can go back and review after playing for a while and even lets you look at specific attributes and the view your statistics for that attribute across a period of time.

The original DigiCue was a very nice device. DigiCue BLUE is a game changer !! Honestly, it has exceeded my expectations in the information provided, the custom tunability of the app, the historical data presentation, as well as the ease and intuitiveness of its operation. I think anyone who is serious about improving their stroke will want one of these!

TL;DR:
DigiCue BLUE is awesome!

• Provides instant feedback across several key stroke metrics
  • Works fast and intuitively
  • Lets you custom tune the parameters for a good stroke
  • Provides historical statistics for each metric across different time periods

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
placeholder for my review

Looking forward to giving this thing a spin around the block. Though I will probably burn out the chips with all the errors in my stroke lol

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
This sounds great. The reason I could never get that excited about the original digicue was the lack of being able to know what errors you were making. This seems to have fixed that problem, and it sounds like it provides invaluable information.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This sounds great. The reason I could never get that excited about the original digicue was the lack of being able to know what errors you were making. This seems to have fixed that problem, and it sounds like it provides invaluable information.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think this is going to appeal to a lot more people now, knowing what the flaw was and how close you were to it not being a flaw (it's not just a go/no-go....it shows where you are in a range and what the target for that range is) makes it infinitely more valuable.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am really excited to get to test drive it. I work for a software company and test things constantly. So putting the Digicue through some tests will be great. Can't wait for it to get to South Carolina.

Thanks again to Shane and OB for letting us have a test run.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of requests: 1. Try it with the break, 2. Post some screenshots of the app (if that’s OK with OB).

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of requests: 1. Try it with the break, 2. Post some screenshots of the app (if that’s OK with OB).

I think they specifically asked us not to post pics of the App. But it does look great with lots of logging. Even without the device I have messed around with it.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they specifically asked us not to post pics of the App. But it does look great with lots of logging. Even without the device I have messed around with it.

Gotcha. Maybe just more verbal description of what kind of feedback it gives you.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was part of the inital group that tested Digicue and never posted any review becasue the initial
device left too much to be desired. Basically you were operating in the dark and even a buddy
often could not spot what you did to set off the device. It was essentially frustration in motion for
a lot of us and so rather than knock the product, I decided not to post any negative remarks.

Well, sounds like the missing link has been found and the quirksome lack of info or feedback
has been overcome..........Alleluiah..........this could become the fountain of youth for some of us.

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bava, this is why I'm very interested and excited being a tester. There are times I've had to take it off cue as it would buzz at times which led to frustration.Sometimes it was obvious what I was doing wrong but other times it wasn't obvious even with video what I did wrong. I strongly suspect I may subtlety may be grabbing cue before stroke it completely finishes. I'm stoked to find out what the issue truly is.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was part of the inital group that tested Digicue and never posted any review becasue the initial
device left too much to be desired. Basically you were operating in the dark and even a buddy
often could not spot what you did to set off the device. It was essentially frustration in motion for
a lot of us and so rather than knock the product, I decided not to post any negative remarks.

Well, sounds like the missing link has been found and the quirksome lack of info or feedback
has been overcome..........Alleluiah..........this could become the fountain of youth for some of us.

I've listened to the players and worked hard to design the product you all want. I hope you like it and I'm glad that the pass along is going well. Ill try to stay silent on this thread because it is for mainly review comments, and it is good to identify which questions pop up most often for user experience analysis.

Don't be afraid to post your honest opinion. It's extremely helpful, positive or negative.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rec'd the DCB today. Initial thoughts:

I'm a computer guy so that shades my first impressions:

The interface was less than intuitive. I had a hard time syncing it with my iPad. Pretty easy to figure by clicking around, but it did not follow the iOS user experience as I expected.

Normally a Bluetooth device is synced in Settings:Bluetooth. However the digicue did not show up there. Instead you had to go in the apps settings where you found the sync settings (it was further disorienting that the in app settings sort of mirror the iOS setting).

Does that make sense?

Once I got it synced (it really only took me a few minutes to figure out- but as I said I'm computer savvy - someone less savvy may have more trouble w that) it worked great. I liked the way it rated each shot, gave nice clear graphical feedback as well as the buzz when you failed in one of the categories.

Am I right, this isn't optimized for the iPad screen? It would have been nice to be able to see all the categories in one screen without having to scroll.

Don't get the impression I was disappointed. I wasn't. This thing holds great potential as a personal coach, and I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces in the next few days.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shipped the Digicue Blue out to the next recipient AuntyDan.

Thanks very much to OB for providing this opportunity to AZB, and thanks to Slide13 for selecting me as one of the recipients.

Final thoughts:

I like my Digicue (non blue) because it helped me just being aware of what was happening with my stroke. The added information the app gives you is a big improvement.

This is an excellent tool to help a player focus on your stroke. Each of the 8 categories of measurements was obviously carefully thought out and applies to a traditionally taught proper stroke.

I have no doubt that as your 'error' rate decreases in these categories, so too will your win percentage increase on the table.

The app was very stable, and that cannot always be said about apps that accompany hardware.

I'd like to see some improvements in the user interface:

On the iPad, make all the categories fit in a single screen so that they can be quickly viewed while practicing without having to get up and go scroll the screen.

It would be great if they added an option to keep the iPad from going to sleep. This can be accomplished by the user in Settings:Display & Brightness:Auto-Lock area, but would be nice for the app to have the app do this for you (my recipe app does this so I know it's possible).

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are the "key stroke metrics" and how is that feedback given on the app in terms of measurement?

I'm unsure of how much detail I'm allowed to explain, but there are 8 categories I measured when I was using it.

It measured how much you "jerk" the cue in your stroke, how straight the stroke was, follow through, pause in the backswing, tip movement, how quickly you shoot, how well you stay down (my terms not theirs)