VHS Tapes To DVD

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have several Accu-Stats VHS tapes that I would like to have converted to DVD. What is the best way to have this done? Is it just a matter of finding someone in my area that can do this for me? Is there some kind of gizmo out there that will dub VHS to DVD for me?

Understand I do NOT have a VHS player.

r/DCP

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have several Accu-Stats VHS tapes that I would like to have converted to DVD. What is the best way to have this done? Is it just a matter of finding someone in my area that can do this for me? Is there some kind of gizmo out there that will dub VHS to DVD for me?

r/DCP

This is pretty basic hardware requirements to do this on your own. For best results however, you’d want to run the video through a TBC.

I think both Costco and Sams club offer VHS conversion as a service, though I don’t know how they would react to a commercial VHS Tape.

Good luck.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a vcr/ DVD writer that must be near 10 yrs old. Works fine, so there must be way better options now. I think it is called govideo.

Sending them out for conversion might be the move, if you only have a few. If you have a lot, might wanna spring for your own hardware.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can still buy a VCR DVD combo on Amazon. I read a a few years ago these units were no longer going to be produced so I bought a new one for around $200. Today a new one is $500 + . You can still get a used one for under $200. Make sure any unit you buy has a HDMI connection.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can still buy a VCR DVD combo on Amazon. I read a a few years ago these units were no longer going to be produced so I bought a new one for around $200. Today a new one is $500 + . You can still get a used one for under $200. Make sure any unit you buy has a HDMI connection.

To be clear though, it doesn't copy and convert the VHS and write to a blank DVD, right? If so, how were those units at copying commercial VHS with that old basic macrovision (sp?) "encryption"?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be clear though, it doesn't copy and convert the VHS and write to a blank DVD, right? If so, how were those units at copying commercial VHS with that old basic macrovision (sp?) "encryption"?

The govideo unit I have does that and while I am not familiar with the encryption you mention, I have never encountered a tape that wouldn't convert.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

I converted accu-stat tapes to DVD using a Magnavox ZV427MG9A.

I just checked and Amazon has new ones for the ridiculous price of $745 (it was quite a while ago but I doubt I paid more than 200 when I bought mine). A quick check shows there are some used ones out there for a LOT less.

But it worked fine. And copy-protection was not an issue. But these were all older 3C tapes, mainly from the 90s, so I don't know if more recent tapes are just as copyable.

Systematic

Registered
A used vcr and separate dvd recorder is the cheapest method. Possibly less than $50.
Or you could buy a line doubler (dvdo iscan ultra etc) and watch the tapes directly in good quality.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

dvd?

so you wanna go from 1985 to 1995? try this thing called google

lol

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I have the same exact model, Magnavox ZV427MG9A and bought mine for the same purpose.

I converted accu-stat tapes to DVD using a Magnavox ZV427MG9A.

I just checked and Amazon has new ones for the ridiculous price of $745 (it was quite a while ago but I doubt I paid more than 200 when I bought mine). A quick check shows there are some used ones out there for a LOT less.

But it worked fine. And copy-protection was not an issue. But these were all older 3C tapes, mainly from the 90s, so I don't know if more recent tapes are just as copyable.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bert Kinister would claim to have some sort of jujitsu copy protection that would destroy the heads of your vhs if you tried to copy his stuff.

I believe it was all bull sh*t,

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
The govideo unit I have does that and while I am not familiar with the encryption you mention, I have never encountered a tape that wouldn't convert.

Hey, don't forget about the infamous "Yamizaki" encryption that Bert used all those years. " It will damage your heads"....lol.

My head can't get anymore damaged than it is.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've found a local company that says they can do this for me. I have about ten I would like converted over. Wonder what they might charge to do this?