Is Championship cloth faster than simonis 860?

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been considering replacing my home table's cloth (i was told it was championship) with simonis 860. Not that my cloth is old, it has plenty of life left, i've just heard that simonis is the best.

I was told that a nearby poolhall had simonis 860 on their tables so i went to try it, but i was shocked at how incredibly slow it played. Now, the cloth on those tables (olhausen) was in REALLY bad shape (even had tiny holes in most of them) and the balls were even worse. So, is that the reason it played so slow? Or does championship play faster? Because at this point i'm considering just keeping my current cloth. I like it better than what i experienced at the pool hall.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
Simonis 860 is slower than Simonis 860 HR and HR is slower than Simonis 760

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I've been considering replacing my home table's cloth (i was told it was championship) with simonis 860. Not that my cloth is old, it has plenty of life left, i've just heard that simonis is the best.

I was told that a nearby poolhall had simonis 860 on their tables so i went to try it, but i was shocked at how incredibly slow it played. Now, the cloth on those tables (olhausen) was in REALLY bad shape (even had tiny holes in most of them) and the balls were even worse. So, is that the reason it played so slow? Or does championship play faster? Because at this point i'm considering just keeping my current cloth. I like it better than what i experienced at the pool hall.

What was the humidity in the room? How tightly was the cloth installed? Were the rail rubbers at the correct height? Any one or all of those could make the table play slow regardless of the cloth installed.

Most of the national events I play in use Championship Mercury cloth on Valley Panthers. It certainly plays quick. All the bar boxes at the pool room have Simonis 860 (HR) installed on them. We get excellent wear. Must tell you we BAN the use of jump cues at East Ridge. Joss Northeast 9 Ball rules always apply there. Might be one reason we get long term use of the cloth.

Lyn

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Simonis is a little more sensitive to humidity.
Championship is too slippery for my liking.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I wouldn't change your cloth until you really need it. I would stick with either Championship Tour Edition or get 860 HR. I had Tour Edition on my table and then went with regular 860, which IMO was a big mistake for a home table. The 860 gets nicked up very easily, especially if you practice jump shots at home.

I went right back to the Tour Edition because I couldn't stand all of the nicks/little holes in the 860 cloth. As for the speed, I think that they are "comparable" and that keeping the cloth and balls clean is the biggest factor once you've had the cloth on for a long time.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

If the cloth at that room isn’t cleaned regularly....it gets slow
If the cloth loosens up from old age....it gets slow
If the cloth wasn’t stretched enough when installed....it gets slow
If it is humid in there....it gets slow

I like the speed of Championship

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thx so much or all the replies. Im going to keep my table as it is. And i'll probably upgrade to aramith tournament balls instead.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Hard to answer your question, there's about 6 different kinds of Championship cloth, what is the model name of the cloth you currently have on your table?

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to answer your question, there's about 6 different kinds of Championship cloth, what is the model name of the cloth you currently have on your table?

I dont know. I just remember asking the dealer what cloth it was and he told me championship. This was about 7 yrs ago. And the receipt doesn't state what cloth it is either.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I dont know. I just remember asking the dealer what cloth it was and he told me championship. This was about 7 yrs ago. And the receipt doesn't state what cloth it is either.

Well, that compounds my response to your question as to what the difference is between your championship cloth and Simonis cloth. I'm not going to pretend i know what I'm talking about like some here do, when you find out what brand of championship cloth you have, PM me and we'll continue this conversation. By the way, what kind/make is your pool table?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I wouldn't change your cloth until you really need it. I would stick with either Championship Tour Edition or get 860 HR. I had Tour Edition on my table and then went with regular 860, which IMO was a big mistake for a home table. The 860 gets nicked up very easily, especially if you practice jump shots at home.

I went right back to the Tour Edition because I couldn't stand all of the nicks/little holes in the 860 cloth. As for the speed, I think that they are "comparable" and that keeping the cloth and balls clean is the biggest factor once you've had the cloth on for a long time.

Championship Tour Edition 30/30 has 30% nylon, regular Simonis 860 has 10% nylon, but the 860HR has 30% nylon as well, and don't speed up as it wears like the Tour Edition does.

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, that compounds my response to your question as to what the difference is between your championship cloth and Simonis cloth. I'm not going to pretend i know what I'm talking about like some here do, when you find out what brand of championship cloth you have, PM me and we'll continue this conversation. By the way, what kind/make is your pool table?

My table is an 8 ft Vitalie. Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately i don't have a way of finding out what particular championship cloth it is. So i'll just keep it until its worn enough that it actually REQUIRES replacing.

Edit:
I would however guess that they wouldve installed whatever the cheapest option was. The only dealer in my area is a pawnshop and that's where i bought it (new, not used) They didn't seem very knowledgeable and i didnt know any better at the time.

Last edited:

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Championship Tour Edition 30/30 has 30% nylon, regular Simonis 860 has 10% nylon, but the 860HR has 30% nylon as well, and don't speed up as it wears like the Tour Edition does.
Does the Simonis 860 HR slow as it ages? If not, shall we consider the fact that the Champioship Tour Edition 30/30 DOES speed up as ages to be a negative?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Seems like it's about how it's installed

I swear the gcs at bogie's play as fast, nearly as billiard tables, pretty sure it's simonis,
but the ones at big tyme, last I was there, didn't play THAT fast

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Seems like it's about how it's installed

I swear the gcs at bogie's play as fast, nearly as billiard tables, pretty sure it's simonis,
but the ones at big tyme, last I was there, didn't play THAT fast

Any chance it is Simonis 760 instead of 860? 760 is considerably faster. When we catered to the 14.1 players, it was the correct cloth. Only Mike Sigel hated it.

Lyn

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy Hill installed HR860 at Blue Fin Billiards (Fresno, CA) and it plays great & holds up well under commercial playing conditions.