Staining and sealing a rack

Standbykid

Results or excuses?
Silver Member
Hey guys,

I bought an older, very solid wooden ball rack from a guy for a couple of bucks. It was chipped, dinged, dented, everything. I know what you're thinking, but I just had to have it.

So, I sanded the old finish off, puttied and epoxied all the damage and now I've smoothed it and coated it with 3 coats of stain.

My question is, should I stop there? Or, should I put a coat of polyurethane or something on it? If so, what kind and how many coats?

Thanks for the help.

-Jeremy

thommy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were doing it and was inexperienced in that sort of thing, I'd go to Home Despot and get a "wipe on Poly" finish. It is simple to apply and hard to screw up:D

If I was doing it for mysefl here at the shop, I'd take it into the spray booth and shoot it with a few coats of satin lacquer . . .

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
definitely finish it off with something protective.

the most typical next step would be to use polyurethane. pretty straightforward to use.

decide on if you want satin, semi, or gloss finish and brush it on, even and smooth.

in my experience, it usually takes 3-4 coats with light sanding in betwen each coat. Make sure to allow proper time for drying between each coat.

I know Minwax makes a good product and I'm sure there are others.

GL with your project.

Post pics when it's done. :smile:

Best,
Brian kc

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It should be finished and can be with any number of products. Please remember there is a difference between dry time to handle and cure time to actually use the rack after you finish it.