Broke my schon :(

limache

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope it works out for you. Some things should be replaced not repaired and this is one of them. It will effect the future of the cue, especially if you ever decide to sell it.

So you think it's not worth fixing? I can still change my mind and just get it shipped back but then I'll have spent 100 bucks just to get a cue shipped back and forth.

I thought I should get it fixed since it's worthless broken.

Someone told me he glues broken cues back together and resells them and it still plays well. He wanted to buy it off me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
I broke my Schon in the same spot. It slipped out of my hand and hit slightly tip down and snapped off clean.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you think it's not worth fixing? I can still change my mind and just get it shipped back but then I'll have spent 100 bucks just to get a cue shipped back and forth.

I thought I should get it fixed since it's worthless broken.

Someone told me he glues broken cues back together and resells them and it still plays well. He wanted to buy it off me lol.

The Forearm is truly the heart of the cue. It defines the Cue maker. Once it's jeopardized (broken) it's never the same nor is it worth the same. The right move is to have a new forearm. Better for you, better for the cue and most definately better for the Cue maker. I have 2 here that people used as a bat. If I could post pictures it would make you cringe. I gave prices to replace the butt entirely instead of trying to Frankenstein it.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
The Forearm is truly the heart of the cue. It defines the Cue maker. Once it's jeopardized (broken) it's never the same nor is it worth the same. The right move is to have a new forearm. Better for you, better for the cue and most definitely better for the Cue maker.

This is absolutely correct IMO and for $400 I would think that the forearm will be replaced rather than repaired.
The smart move is to have Schon do this. The repair guys in the field would have to write the program (exactly)
and find mtrls for inlay that match exactly. Schon already has both. The OP should confirm that the F/A will be replaced.
After that, the cue should play as original.

KJ

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 457506

My schon broke when it slipped out my hand and fell on the floor at my pool hall. The floor was carpet and it didn't hit the table.

Is that weird?

I'm getting it repaired by schon for 400 bucks. It's gonna take like 3 months

Oh hell no. Hang that on your wall for conversation piece & get a new cue. Spend $400 or less & that'll play as good as any. Playing with that broken/repaired cue will always play with your head & you'll never win another game !!! ( These are my opinions )

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about getting a proper butt this time? :grin:
For this amount of money... hell....

limache

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is absolutely correct IMO and for $400 I would think that the forearm will be replaced rather than repaired.
The smart move is to have Schon do this. The repair guys in the field would have to write the program (exactly)
and find mtrls for inlay that match exactly. Schon already has both. The OP should confirm that the F/A will be replaced.
After that, the cue should play as original.

KJ

So yeah the forearm will be replaced. I did send it to schon.

They said they will make a new forearm, cut off the jagged part of the butt so it will be flat. Then add the new forearm to the butt with the steel rod.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So yeah the forearm will be replaced. I did send it to schon.

They said they will make a new forearm, cut off the jagged part of the butt so it will be flat. Then add the new forearm to the butt with the steel rod.

I think your confused as to what is actually being done. A new forearm is not replacing the broken section and using a steel rod to utilize a 4 inch piece of wood with a new joint. Which is what your describing.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think your confused as to what is actually being done. A new forearm is not replacing the broken section and using a steel rod to utilize a 4 inch piece of wood with a new joint. Which is what your describing.

I have been following and I am confused.

If what is being done is cutting it at the break and replacing it from there forward...well...I can't imagine Schon letting work like that out of there shop.

If it were mine I would not accept that work.

Replace the forearm at the A joint or hang it on the wall as a conversation piece.

Fixing the break can be done, but why would one do that unless it were a valuable cue that could not really have the forearm replaced? Even then I would only have it done if it could be done really clean.

I would chalk it up to experience and start over. But that's me. If my old Joss got broke like that I am not even sure if I would have a repair attempted, and that cue has huge value to me personally.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Mike,

You and I know what Schon will do. They will replace the entire F/A back to the A-jnt.
The OP is not a CM so he has no reference and is likely not understanding what is being said to him.
When his cue is returned to him he will basically have a brand-new cue; no splices & no patch-work.
He's done the right thing and above all else it will be Schon 'Kosher'. It doesn't get better than that.

KJ

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I repaired a Shon for a friend a few years ago ... broken much like yours.
Remade a complete new forearm, Inlays, points, and all ... it looked better than new.
For $400 with all the inlay work if they are replacing the forearm, you are getting a deal.
However, I would think selling you a new schon cue at cost would be a better way to correct what was an obvious wood default.
After seeing the inside construction of that Schon cue I would not recommend them at the price they sell them for.

Willee

Rtoron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They just were not designed for a side impact, pure and simple. Looks like a whole new prong to do the job right. I build them, I know.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been following and I am confused.

Fixing the break can be done, but why would one do that unless it were a valuable cue that could not really have the forearm replaced? Even then I would only have it done if it could be done really clean.

I lost track of this. I've seen this happen to a few cues out of abuse. My answer is always the same. The Forearm is the heart of a cue. It should be replaced and by the original Cue maker not someone else so it maintains it's name. Handles can be changed and butt sleeves put back on. But this depends on the cue. I do them but never without consulting the original Cue maker before anything is done. Repairing cues is harder than building and requires a different train of thought. Some cues shouldn't be touched by others. End of story.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
But, I gotta be suspicious about these that snap right there merely from getting "dropped".

Gotta agree.....carpeted floor, didn't hit anything else...hmmmm...BS meter is going high....IMO., hence a $400 repair bill

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Gotta agree.....carpeted floor, didn't hit anything else...hmmmm...BS meter is going high....IMO., hence a $400 repair bill

I've seen it happen..EXACTLY as he described it.....on carpet. You can say whatever you want and I'm not claiming something didn't happen previously, but it does occur.

Jerry Williams..10 plus years ago at Stiix Billliards in Ventura, Ca.

Jerry McWorter fixed it...

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dropped my 60-something year old Titlist cue that was converted by Mike Pancerny on the floor at Hawaiian Brian's a couple weeks ago and my heart stopped for a second. They ripped the carpet out of there months ago and the floor is concrete with what looks like some of the glue still covering it in spots.

I was fully expecting a big dent, gouge, gash, scratch or something on it, but it didn't have a single blemish on it. I was TOTALLY surprised.

The cue slipped out of my hand and hit flat on the floor and I think the tip may have hit first. I have a Predator 324-2 FAT shaft on it and it didn't suffer a scratch either.

I can count the number of times I've dropped my cues in my lifetime on my fingers. Some people may have knocked them over once or twice, but I keep a pretty good watch on mine and tend to pay attention to what I'm doing.

While I'm thinking of it, Mike Pancerny has a way of making cues that is a bit unique. His cues can be distinguished by the "dot".

http://customcuemaker.com/