Time for a little...

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I think it's time for a little, 'quiz shot!'

ALL 3 balls are FROZEN to the cushion!

Cue ball is Yellow.

What would you do from here to make the shot 3 CUSHIONS ONLY!

AZBquizshot.jpg

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll take a stab. Easiest cuing & decent chance of position, would be off White L,S,L,L Red

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well here is what I would do --

shoot the yellow to the opposite short rail (rail 1) with some speed kicking back to the white on the rail and hoping just to get a piece of the white without contacting the rail that the white is on - since white is frozen I should pick up some speed off white caroming to original bottom rail (rail 2) and that angle should get me to the bottom long rail (rail 3) and on to the red -- if I get just a piece of white I should get a good carom angle heading down table to the red.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I'll reveal the solution later today!

I've been ill as of late, :frown: I'm trying to go to the pool room today, if I do I'll try and video the shot!

You be amazed at the creative simplicity it has! :cool:

P.S. I hope many members of the Carom section will help DD sell Bob Byrne's work!

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it also possible to go rail first off the left side of the white with a lot of 3 o'clock spin and zig-zag the table into the red?

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
This shot was shown to me by my mentor and dearest friend, Ernie Prsto in the late 60's at Bensingers. He was taught the shot by the GREAT Mexican Champion, Joe Chamaco in the 40's!

Ernie & I also demonstrated this shot and many others to Bob Byrne in 1981!

You can view the shots in his book entitled, "Byrne's Treasury of Trick Shots in Pool and Billiards."

51gknjE8p9L._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

With a little practice, and a better than average stroke, one can master the shot! I have NOT played the shot in over 7 or 8 years!

I'll post the video with the results!

Also I'm going to add about 4 or 5 minutes of of unedited video of how I'm reduced to practicing 3 cushion billiards, for a lack of a table near by!

AZBquizshot-03.jpg

Here's the video, with a some bonus unedited footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYPat9XTAwI&feature=youtu.be

This position is difficult with ALL 3 balls frozen a cushion!

The creative simplicity of this shot is illuminating to all!

As you can see in the video, I did not make the shot! But, from the video, but, you can see how the effect on the cue ball, the shot can be made! I actually made the CB curve TOO much, and it scratched in the opposite corner pocket!

Part of NOT being able to make the shot on the pool table is, the corner pocket is somewhat in the way!

I've also added, a SLOW motion clip of the shot, to show the exaggerated curve after the CB contacts the 2nd cushion!

This shot was shown to me by my mentor and dearest friend, Ernie Presto in the late 60's at Bensingers. He was taught the shot by the GREAT Mexican Champion, Joe Chamaco in the 40's!

Ernie & I also demonstrated this shot and many others to Bob Byrne in 1991!

You can view the shots in his book entitled, "Byrne's Treasury of Trick Shots in Pool and Billiards."

With a little practice, and a better than average stroke, one can master the shot! I have NOT played the shot in over 7 or 8 years!
I'll post the video with the results!

Also I'm adding about 4 or 5 minutes of unedited video of how I'm reduced to practicing 3 cushion billiards, for a lack of a table nearby!

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i really enjoyed watching the videos bill
watching you play 3c on a pool table with pockets to get in the way ,no corners,no heated bed and pool balls and pool rails
must make you have to be creative for some positions
very well done.....:)
thanks for the video

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ernie & I also demonstrated this shot and many others to Bob Byrne in 1991!

Going through all the stuff that Bob Byrne left to the USBA I found several shots diagrammed on scratch paper
signed,
Billy Smith.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
i really enjoyed watching the videos bill
watching you play 3c on a pool table with pockets to get in the way ,no corners,no heated bed and pool balls and pool rails
must make you have to be creative for some positions
very well done.....:)
thanks for the video

Thank you Larry, I appreciate your appreciation of my efforts to stay connected to the game I've devoted my entire life! No one yearns to play the game more than me! :frown: :frown:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Going through all the stuff that Bob Byrne left to the USBA I found several shots diagrammed on scratch paper
signed,
Billy Smith.

I made mistake, hit the wrong key for the correct date, 1981, at Denver Athletic Club!!

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made mistake, hit the wrong key for the correct date, 1981, at Denver Athletic Club!!

The notes were definitely old. Very tempting to keep them for a while to study. But too old to take advantage of the concepts. Dennis has them all and also too old for any of it to matter.

Made a similar shot 2 days ago. Nothing frozen, just a lot of action. Really fun watching the ball stretch out, and then miraculously make.

Too bad there's not more tables around to nudge the pool crowd to expand on the CB part of the game.

Last edited: