1960s Abe Rich Joint

johnnyohhh

Registered
Hi all question for you... I recently purchased a 1960s Abe Rich from his nephew Howard that I would I am having an OB-2 shaft fit to and can't seem to find anyone who knows what type of joint is on it, unfortunately not even Howard. I am trying to avoid buying a warped shaft from him to butcher for the insert, it just doesn't seem right. I'll post pics later if need be. Thanks for the help! -John

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

johnnyohhh

Registered
Actually looking at the pics here http://www.prathercue.com/drills_taps_end_mills/drill_taps_end_mills.html it might be 3/8-10 or 3/8-11 not too sure though

$(KGrHqVHJDcFHHRCvkjZBR2F9MeB5g~~60_57.JPG

This is identical to mine.

Last edited:

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Abe used a variety of joint screws, including 5/16-18, 5/16-14 and 3/8-10 (which wouldn't have an insert).
His joint size varied as well. If I were you I'd send the cue off to have the shaft properly fitted to the butt.

johnnyohhh

Registered
Pretty sure its 3/8-10, I am not doing this myself. In order to cut my costs and save time I am trying to get all of the parts together before approaching the builder.

EDIT: mine definitely has an insert

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
im not a cue maker
dont know if this will help you
but in the blue book of pool cue values for star cues(abe rich) it mentions 5/16x14 pin under specification heading

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
joint

Looks like 5/16 14 but if possible count the threads in a one inch lenght. :)

Mario

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure its 3/8-10, I am not doing this myself. In order to cut my costs and save time I am trying to get all of the parts together before approaching the builder.

The pin in your picture is a 5/16-14.

Dick

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
it's a 5/16x14. I have an insert I can send you, unless your cuemaker has one already. Atlas won't sell you just one. PM me your address and I'll shoot it out to you.
Dave

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bring the cue to your builder and let him match it up. Most repairmen will have standard inserts in stock and any markup on the insert is negligible. This is one of those times when you have to see what your time is worth. Spending your time and the time of others on the forum for a $2 insert doesn't make much sense.
On a side note, you'll probably have the only Abe Rich cue with an OB2 shaft out there.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Show your builder respect and approach him first.