Cue ID help

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aloha

Just trying to find some information about this cue. A gentleman brought this too me and was wondering about it, and this one has got me stumped. I thought maybe Helmstetter or Adam,but I would like another opinion.

Specs:
5/16 x 14 piloted joint
Two shafts both at 12.9mm
Weight bolt is 3/8 x16 SAE
19.75 oz

I found it interesting that it had two matching shafts. Although the wood grain on the one leaves one to believe it is not a high end maker. It has a white with brown spec linen wrap and hits pretty decent. The points are well done and the miter is tight. Looks to be all MOP inlays. The SS compression joint has a nice fit but the brass end on the shafts does not seem very wide.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo

Attachments

• IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 1,053
  • IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 1,059
  • IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 1,051
  • IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 1,050

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Joss used that wght.blt many years ago but nothing else about the cue says Joss.
That's quite a large pilot recess also.
That's all I got.

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks KJ, any help is greatly appreciated.
I cleaned the ferrules and it looks to be Ivorline 3, or some form of synthetic ivory. Here is a close up of the ferrules. It looks to have a cross pattern so I know it's not real ivory. Maybe this will help with trying figure this out.

Much Mahalo

Aloha

Attachments

• IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1319.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 1,025

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just doing some looking, is it possible that this is a Richard Black cue. I know he didn't start signing cues till the late 70's sometime. I know he used a similar wood piloted joint, but I'm not sure what pin he used.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Actually, there is no 'ivory grain' to Ivorine3, only ivory color.
A linen weave pattern as you suggest with simulated ivory grain leads me to believe original Aegis.
Disturbingly, another early Joss trait. Could the tips be original and are they Triangles ? A Joss trait.
The point work could have a Bill Stroud influence. Too much of a head-scratcher for me.

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The current tips look to be elk masters to me. The grain is evident when it is not in a picture. The butt cap had me thinking at first that this was an Adam cue, maybe before they started making the current Balabushka lines over seas. The SAE thread on the weight bolt keeps bringing me back to USA manufacture.

Thanks for the input on the ferrules.

I'll keep searching.

Aloha

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weight bolt is close to some old Joss, 80's. But not exactly the same.

Weight bolt is also close to some Asian imports I know. But again, not exactly the same.

It has some Joss features...but not Joss IMHO.

Weight bolts can be changed. Possible weight bolt change? No idea.

It's a nice cue.

One of those shafts has a lot of grain runout. Not original? But the pilot looks the same as the other. And so does the ferrule.

Nice piece of forearm wood.

This one is a mystery, but I have a feeling it will get nailed down. :)

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is a 1990's or newer cue. So forget about a closet find of one of the greats from the past.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am thinking USA made, but very few USA guys use the PVC butt plate. I think it is a nice cue. Too bad they did not put a logo on it.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
IIRC, during the early to mid-90s Joss used a butt-cap mtrl called 'Herculite' or something to that effect.
It had the same or similar color to PVC yet was touted by Joss as being indestructible.
That bolt & butt-cap still say Joss to me.
I've never seen anyone else use that bolt and it takes a modified socket to remove it.

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IIRC, during the early to mid-90s Joss used a butt-cap mtrl called 'Herculite' or something to that effect.

It had the same or similar color to PVC yet was touted by Joss as being indestructible.

That bolt & butt-cap still say Joss to me.

I've never seen anyone else use that bolt and it takes a modified socket to remove it.

My photo seen here is of my 95-09. The butt sleeve is linen based and has a larger "grain" or weave to the fabric base than the ferrule does. The weave can be easily seen in the ferrule and butt sleeve, I was unable to get a good pic of the ferrule.
The cue weighed 20.6 at time of purchase and does not have a weight bolt in it. That butt material is some heavy stuff.
568b8237cc79816f364fea52970297c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The veneers appear to be the same a a GB3, but the inlays are different.

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aloha
The GB-3 was what I was thinking also. The inlays on this are straight diamonds. Did the Balabushka, Adam people build some cues prior to selling out to Japan. Maybe this is on of those early cues. Out of all the Japalabushka cues I have looked at, none match the inlays, although the butt cap and rubber bumper look the same.

On another note the cue fits great, the one shaft does not seem like something a higher end cue maker would let out the door, but both shafts are as straight as can be. So it's hard to tell.

Thanks for the information, The search continues.

Aloha

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if this does turn out to be a Japabushka then it will change my opinion of those cues, this one hits real nice and is built pretty good.