Quilted maple

weegee3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seldom see quilted maple used in cues. Tiger and Birdseye seem to be generally available from suppliers such as Bell Forest or Atllas etc.
Any info would be helpful

cuesdefuentes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i believe it is a soft maple. Should at least be cored. It is my favorite though. my jump cue is made from stabilized quilted maple.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is a rarer figure and that is why you do not see it as much and with it being rare there is a line of guitar makers waiting to buy the really nice stuff..

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a rarer figure and that is why you do not see it as much and with it being rare there is a line of guitar makers waiting to buy the really nice stuff..

Well, actually the veneer slicers pay the most for the best stuff because their yield is so high. The guitar guys get lucky sometimes... but then again we'd need a pretty large billet to make a jumbo archtop, but only thin stock to do a flat top acoustic (for the back and sides.)

As to rarity, it's not exactly rare. It's rare that it gets cut up into billets suitable for guitars or cues. Here where I live there are many streets lined with them. There's still plenty of Brazilian rosewood trees; they just can't be harvested.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, actually the veneer slicers pay the most for the best stuff because their yield is so high. The guitar guys get lucky sometimes... but then again we'd need a pretty large billet to make a jumbo archtop, but only thin stock to do a flat top acoustic (for the back and sides.)

As to rarity, it's not exactly rare. It's rare that it gets cut up into billets suitable for guitars or cues. Here where I live there are many streets lined with them. There's still plenty of Brazilian rosewood trees; they just can't be harvested.

Many streets lined with what? If you are talking about Quilted Maple, how
do you know it is quilted.

Dale

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i believe it is a soft maple. Should at least be cored. It is my favorite though. my jump cue is made from stabilized quilted maple.

Though Quilted is much more common in the soft Western Maples, you do at
times see it in hard Eastern Sugar Maple. I have some stashed away in an
undisclosed location.

Dale

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many streets lined with what? If you are talking about Quilted Maple, how
do you know it is quilted.

Dale

Having handled logs from felled trees in the past...

Log brokers and dealers know they have something special just by looking at the outside of the log. Probably the most famous example would be "The Tree" mahogany...

sileighty_guru

5A Grade Wood Pecker
Silver Member
It is not as easy to come by as the other maple figures... and yes rock maple with quilting is even harder to come by than it's softer big leaf sister! when you find it... it will cost you! as stated above veneer and guitar guys scoff it all up long before we ever see it. so odds are you need to buy a large blank and mill it yourself! I have a large amount of both and love working with it even though it is the biggest PITA to work due to the grain pattern of a tye-dyed shirt :angry: just take time to get it right!

Bought a large lot off a furniture maker a few years back...

14034733_655915827918694_6980819092839422568_n.jpg

14046017_655915887918688_1664704622902812287_n.jpg

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Quilted hard maple or blister hard curly maple in pool billet size is very rare.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Hard quilt/blister is unicorn rare in a forest tree, but surprisingly common in yard and street trees. Cue makers and other fine wood workers would be sick to know how much gets dumped in the landfill or turned into mulch.

The eastern half of the country also has silver maple. It's normal for silver maple to have extreme quilt & curly & blister figure. It's actually a whole lot like the big leaf. It grows along river edges and in wet lowlands. The bad part is that it's never commercially cut except for pallet or pulp. Nobody mills it for lumber, yet it's one of the biggest hardwood trees in the country and arguably the most commonly figured.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quilted hard maple or blister hard curly maple in pool billet size is very rare.

If only for the fact that large billets are used for instrument building. I don't know how nuch cue makers are willing to pay. A 1.5" square x 30" billet is only .5bf. Like such narrow billets are drop offs from larger billets. At the low end, unsorted, about $15-20/bf. 5A grade instrument wood - air dried - with extraordinary figuring, can run over $500/bf... and guitar builders pay a premium over that to get the best of the best before anyone else sees it. Usually the drop offs are made into binding and purfling and other inlay.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Best playing cue I ever owned had a quilted maple (big leaf in this case) handle. Cue had great feedback, and just felt incredibly good to play with. Can't remember why I sold it, like so many other cues I miss.