How are you turning mop inlays?

pongohops

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cutting the inlays isn't going to be a big deal as long as they are cooled, but once they are set how are you turning it down so they are flat with the curvature of the cue?

I'm talking real mop - not synthetic. I've found a source for blanks and don't mind the cost, but my cue maker seems a little concerned doing it. Amazing work for sure, but using real mop would be a first for him.

Obviously it can be done as real mop has been used in cues, but what is the correct turn down process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It turns down fine using a router with a carbide bit and slow RPM speed on the lathe. Pretty much like turning anything else down. Warn him that the dust is really nasty to breathe.

pongohops

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks - that is pretty much what I found elsewhere on the web. Problem is I don't know if he can use a bit with this setup... as far as I know he only uses the blade on the side of the lathe if that makes sense (I didn't take a good look at it and should have). Hopefully something can be figured out... I didn't want to use ivory in this cue, but still want something unique. I think some good quality white mop would do just that while keeping the look and style I was going for (black and white). Thanks again.

tsp&b

Silver Member
I will bet that your "cue maker" uses a router. Turning natural MOP is no big deal as long as you wear a respirator (very toxic)... use a very sharp router bit. I recommend a new one. And slow down the router speed, the headstock spindle speed and the feed rate.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

I take .015 depth cuts when cutting real MOP inlay parts on the table using Eviro Tap cutting fluid to reduce heat.

I turn my blanks and exposed inlays using a saw machine traveling at 5 inches per minute at 140 rpm with an 80 tooth carbide blade. Like butter:)

JMO,

Rick

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The dust from machining mother of pearl is not toxic. It is not a toxin.

BUT:

Like many such things it can actually cause a reaction and constrict the airways. It can actually cause what is known as a hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which can be quite dangerous. The effects of this reaction can be cumulative and are known with various materials and substances. The more you are exposed, the worse it will be.

Best practices will dictate respiratory precautions as has already been said.

If you experience any respiratory symptoms, don't dick around, get to an ER. In most cases you will be fine. I am sure many of you guys have had a bad experience breathing in some dust or fumes while engaged in cuemaking. You got away from it and the issue calmed down and you were OK. BUT...it only takes one...one reaction severe enough to kill you.

If it affects your airway/breathing, don't dick around with it, seek expert help ASAP.

If you have asthma, COPD, or any other respiratory disease, this is 10X important for you.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming....:smile:

pongohops

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone - hopefully it all works out. Waiting to hear back about everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk