How Would You Get from The 5 To The 8?

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the just rolling it in and playing the 8 in the side option.

It's much easier to see the shot from behind the cue ball.

Oh, now I see.

Medium speed stun. 3/8 tip right, 3/8 tip high. Two rails with cb to bump 9 softly. 8 in the top side. 9 in the lower right pocket.

It could happen.:thumbup:

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I could draw past the side pocket then this is my choice. With a TOI to make sure not to get behind the nine ball.
to the eight.jpg

Last edited:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL God's perspective, I think you can come up short, stop the CB before it crosses by the 8, and play it in the corner, waddia think about them potatoes.

Seriously, it's hard for me to judge unless I'm standing at the table. I can't even tell from the chair.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are shooting the 5. How would you get to the 8?

View attachment 364823

View attachment 364824

Inside english, around 4:00.

Reverse the long rail below the side and reverse the short foot rail, playing the 8-ball in the upper side pocket (when viewed from above the table

I set this up on my table, which being so new probably mimics tourney situation. The 8-ball remained in play the entire time once he cueball passed the side pocket, which I guess is why I like the shot. Plus, I got to hit it with pace, rather than trying to slow roll.

Easily got position.

Freddie

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Consierations

I would play slight draw with a touch of OE. Not enough to cause noticeable acceleration off the rails, just enough to avoid the dreaded undercut throw that can occur on soft center shots.

Another reason I'd avoid any soft IE on this shot, is that it may swerve the CB toward further undercutting, especially considering the cue will have some elevation over the rail if one attempts soft draw with touch IE.

The tangent line, for sliding CB is pretty good already, so I'd only want a touch of back spinning draw on impact.

I don't think the 9 comes into the shot unless it just misses the jaw and has significant OE on it.. even then, it may help to hold position.

Anywhere between A and B on my diagram below would be nice shape.

Just my opinion!

Colin

Attachments

• AZB stun draw.jpg
    AZB stun draw.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Option 2

I'd be very tempted to play this shot, because for me, it makes the pot easier than allowing for swerve and throw effects on soft cuts. Takes a bit of speed and draw control with heavy IE, but I can't imagine missing the pot or not getting some shot on the 8.

Attachments

• AZB stun draw2.jpg
    AZB stun draw2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 212

9intheside

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks natural to roll off the one rail for the 8 in the same side, the 2 rail draw shot needs just the right amount of speed

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Looks natural to roll off the one rail for the 8 in the same side, the 2 rail draw shot needs just the right amount of speed

There can be problems with that approach....
...all cloth and balls and rails do not play the same.
..on some tables you may kiss the 8-ball for an awkward angle or even having to combo
the 9-ball.
I've had light cue balls go into the side on this angle.

I find that systems for angles can be misleading in real time.....
...in the military, they say "The map is not the terrain."

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another Option

I don't mind this shot also. If I it the 8 on the way down or way back up, I'd get a decent shot 70%+ It pretty much takes jaws or scratches out of the equation.

Deep draw with touch of OE. I'd be trying to play it to bump the 8 ball on the top side on the way back from the bottom rail.

Attachments

• AZB draw.jpg
    AZB draw.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

9intheside

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There can be problems with that approach....
...all cloth and balls and rails do not play the same.
..on some tables you may kiss the 8-ball for an awkward angle or even having to combo
the 9-ball.
I've had light cue balls go into the side on this angle.

I find that systems for angles can be misleading in real time.....
...in the military, they say "The map is not the terrain."

Good point, I will try this out. I usually play on a 9 footer, but on a diamond this might be the better option.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried several of the methods presented in this thread. Below is the video. The best choice for me seemed to be to go 3 rails around the 8 and 9 and play the 8 in the side.

http://youtu.be/yKl22jMoFlk

Good effort! The cut looks thinner than the table layout, but part of that is the camera position I think. Was surprised how easily you could roll through short of the jaw. That would be the shot if on.

Would have liked to see you attempt the power draw with inside english to see if you could arc it away from the long rail.

btw: I didn't see you chalk the cue. I think you can get a bit more work on the ball if you can hit lower and wider on the CB.

Colin

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tried several of the methods presented in this thread. Below is the video. The best choice for me seemed to be to go 3 rails around the 8 and 9 and play the 8 in the side.

I like that you put videos up!

I noticed on the draw shots, it seemed you were hitting much harder than necessary to clear the side pocket, which in turn didn't allow the action to happen. But, that could be just that your table play differently than mine.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think, if there's one thing your video has proven, it's that making the 5 and keeping the cue-ball on the table are the primary goals. From there, the shooter is allowed to make a choice based on personal preference and table conditions. It appears, the rails and cloth on your table play a little slower than the bouncy tables I typically play on. For the record, I think your table plays kinda great. That said, if this were on bouncier rails, I think it would be in my interest to kill the speed and stay away from going around the 9.

All that aside, the 8 is wide open. All you really have to do is get in the neighborhood and you should be okay.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks all. Regarding setting the balls up, its really tricky and I think impossible to get the "exact" position. I think on this particular shot, 1" difference in either the 5 or the CB would changed the shot a lot.

You can also see on my video that parallax comes into play. The lines on my table I can assure you are within .5mm of the center of the diamonds....(anal engineer here)..... But you can see in the video they don't line up with the diamonds on the rail due to the camera angle. The same situation happens on the accustats videos. I think even the directly overhead shot is slightly suspect.