U.S. Chances in the Mosconi Cup

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm starting this thread partly in protest of the nonsensical thread that has been raging on here about three players who are not on the team. I prefer to support the five guys who ARE on the team and the coach who put them there. I feel that is a much better use of our time and energy.

Shane is having a banner year, winning the U.S. Open for the third straight time, overcoming a world class field of players. This alone is an unprecedented feat and one of the most amazing accomplishments I've seen in all my years in pool. He followed that up by winning the World Pool Masters (in England by the way!), and has won just about everything he's played in this year. He is the 'Player Of The Year' hands down this year! That's for starters.

I really like what Justin Bergman has done this year to earn his spot on the team as well. He has basically been on the road all year going from tournament to tournament, playing on big tables and small, and grinding out win after win. Granted these are not considered "major" tournaments, but every one has been a high profile event with strong fields of players and hefty entry fees to boot. He's won this year playing 9-Ball, Ten Ball and One Pocket. And he's handled himself well in the process, showing maturity under fire. I see him as being very well prepared for the Mosconi, thanks to his work regimen this year.

Justin Hall has stayed closer to home in Florida, only occasionally traveling to out of state events, but when he did he was right up there every time. He has been lighting it up since his big win at Tunica last year, and has become a threat to beat anyone at any game, much like Bergman. He currently has a challenge in place for anybody to come to Florida and play him! Justin is no shrinking violet, he is ready willing and able to take on all comers. This is the kind of guy you want in a situation like the Mosconi Cup. I don't expect to see him awed or cowed by the occasion.

Corey and John are the vets, both with previous Mosconi Cup experience. I see them in a mentoring capacity for the young guys, helping to prepare them for what's ahead. Both of these guys are proven champions with the track record to go with it. Both have major titles under their belt, so they know how to rise to the occasion. I look for them to be leaders this year and set the example that the other guys will follow.

And Mark Wilson is the glue that binds them all together. He is a well respected leader with the credentials to do what it takes to create a winning team. He has already done an exemplary job in putting this team together and is our first coach to be so hands-on all year in team building.

Look I may be wrong about all this, and there is no question that Europe has a powerful squad again. But somehow in my gut I like our chances. I think it's going to be a dogfight this year. I don't see Team USA wilting like we've seen in recent years. I fully expect these five guys to hang tough and make life hard on the heavily favored Euro squad.

Last edited:
I am happy that Bergman is on the team this year. I have always been a fan of Bergman. Even though he is young, he has a lot of experience (for his age), and I imagine that he has no fear (would have no fear against any player in the world). It is great that these younger players have the chance to play the top Euro players at the Mosconi cup. I am sad that Jeremy Sossei did not make it on the final 5 that were picked to play. I think that he should have been given the same opportunity that Bergman and Hall were given (to play in the Mosconi cup). He is a great player (that I see has done very well on the Joss tour this year). Sad that he did not make the final 5. Very sorry for bringing his name up. I understand that this thread is about the 5 that did make it on the team, and I wish them the best at the Mosconi cup. I hope that they all have no fear against the top Euro players, and play their best (the best of their ability, with no fear).

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
I'm starting this thread partly in protest of the nonsensical thread that has been raging on here about three players who are not on the team. I prefer to support the five guys who ARE on the team and the coach who put them there. I feel that is a much better use of our time and energy.

Shane is having a banner year, winning the U.S. Open for the third straight time, overcoming a world class field of players. This alone is an unprecedented feat and one of the most amazing accomplishments I've seen in all my years in pool. He followed that up by winning the World Pool Masters (in England by the way!), and has won just about everything he's played in this year. He is the 'Player Of The Year' hands down this year! That's for starters.

I really like what Justin Bergman has done this year to earn his spot on the team as well. He has basically been on the road all year going from tournament to tournament, playing on big tables and small, and grinding out win after win. Granted these are not considered "major" tournaments, but every one has been a high profile event with strong fields of players and hefty entry fees to boot. He's won this year playing 9-Ball, Ten Ball and One Pocket. And he's handled himself well in the process, showing maturity under fire. I see him as being very well prepared for the Mosconi, thanks to his work regimen this year.

Justin Hall has stayed closer to home in Florida, only occasionally traveling to out of state events, but when he did he was right up there every time. He has been lighting it up since his big win at Tunica last year, and has become a threat to beat anyone at any game, much like Bergman. He currently has a challenge in place for anybody to come to Florida and play him! Justin is no shrinking violet, he is ready willing and able to take on all comers. This is the kind of guy you want in a situation like the Mosconi Cup. I don't expect to see him awed or cowed by the occasion.

Corey and John are the vets, both with previous Mosconi Cup experience. I see them in a mentoring capacity for the young guys, helping to prepare them for what's ahead. Both of these guys are proven champions with the track record to go with it. Both have major titles under their belt, so they know how to rise to the occasion. I look for them to be leaders this year and set the example that the other guys will follow.

And Mark Wilson is the glue that binds them all together. He is a well respected leader with the credentials to do what it takes to create a winning team. He has already done an exemplary job in putting this team together and is our first coach to be so hands-on all year in team building.

Look I may be wrong about all this, and there is no question that Europe has a powerful squad again. But somehow in my gut I like our chances. I think it's going to be a dogfight this year. I don't see Team USA wilting like we've seen in recent years. I fully expect these five guys to hang tough and make life hard on the heavily favored Euro squad.

I don't think team eur is that strong .
They could put together a stronger team for sure .

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I believe USA is an underdog but they do have a shot, the Europe team is weakest we have seen in awhile. No Mika, Souquet or some of the other top Euro talent. Gray and Ecko are very solid players but they are not at the same level as the first two I just mentioned, where is Hohmann by the way? I hate to see Thorsten not make the team again, he got ripped last year. Each year it seems the selection process for players is different or maybe its just in my mind. :confused:

P.S. Great event either way and an exhibition of talents by Matchroom.

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
Great post, Jay. Thanks for putting your name behind this and saying what needed to be said.

Go Team USA!

(Thank goodness no Germans on the Euro squad this year. :) )

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wholeheartedly agree, Jay!

In not so many words, that is what I was trying to say in another thread that ended up ruffling Watchez's feathers. :frown:

But either way, I think this team has the grit to grind it out and that's what it will most likely take. Lots of matches will go hill-hill I do believe so I am hopeful we can come out of those with a favorable percentage.

Gary

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
U.S. Chances to Win

They have a very good chance to win for two reasons.

The Euros are expected to win which puts added pressure on them.
They are very short races.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Though I've rooted for Europe over the years, would be good to see the US get up this year and think they have a chance given the line ups. US slight underdogs.

btw: Betfair has Europe $1.43 and USA $2.76. Might put some on USA at those odds!

Last edited:

KeithS66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post Jay. I like our chances as well. There's a different feel with what Mark has done and I like it. Go USA!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
We can do this. Van Boening might have to deliver five points, but why not?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The omission of Souquet, who sure looked to be in fine form in his nailbiter loss against the great JL Chang in the Japan Open this past weekend, certainly helps for Team USA. Ralf, who was undefeated in last year's Mosconi Cup, would have been as deserving as Niels as the 2013 Team Europe MVP. Mark Gray showed very little form at the US Open in October and seems the weak spot on this year's Team Europe. If Ralf were to replace him, Team Europe would be much stronger. Ralf is as clutch a player as I've ever seen, and I think his absence will be felt.

Shane must lead this year, and I believe he will. This might be a nailbiter.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with Jay, I have a good feeling about this year.
If I'm wrong, so be it. I'll be the first to admit it if things go south.
But the passion is strong, no doubt about it.
Good luck gentlemen.

9baller90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For anyone who likes usa. You can bet with me and we can post with someone neutral....