Decisions for a $700-900 dollar cue Gilbert v.Schon v. Star city(Al link) v Josey etc

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NEED MORE POSTS AND INPUT THX Looking to buy a playing cue in this dollar range. My B day and the fact that money doesn't earn much in the back equals time to buy a cue and enjoy it.

Schons are supposed to have a unique sound and hit.. and consistency no matter which one you buy.... lots of great reviews.

However, for playability and long term value it is tough... since I have never hit with any of these or come across them in league play. Are Customs from recognized makers a better choice? I understand the hit of a custom can vary a deal from each builder on each cue.

They are all beauties and it seems to be a buyers market... so which one would you pick? and why.

HELP...

Josey

Schon LTD, with radial or traditional SS joint?

Andy Gilbert

Star city (Al Link)

Mike Erwin

Mike Webb

Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking to buy a playing cue in this dollar range. My B day and the fact that money doesn't earn much in the back equals time to buy a cue and enjoy it.

Schons are supposed to have a unique sound and hit.. and consistency no matter which one you buy.... lots of great reviews.

However, for playability and long term value it is tough... since I have never hit with any of these or come across them in league play. Are Customs from recognized makers a better choice? I understand the hit of a custom can vary a deal from each builder on each cue.

They are all beauties and it seems to be a buyers market... so which one would you pick? and why.

HELP...

Josey

Schon LTD, with radial or traditional SS joint?

Andy Gilbert

Star city (Al Link)

Mike Erwin

Mike Webb

Go with the Gilbert or the star city cue. I only know about all ink because I owned one years ago. It was so fn pretty. The Gilbert will play great and hold it's value.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of those listed I'd go Gilbert if you can find one you like in your price range. I'd also look at Olney, Diveney, Treadway, Barnhart, and Nitti. Lots of great option in that price range depending upon your tastes.

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate your insights guys....

Great info.

It really helps, because I will not be able to shoot w any of these prior to buying.

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

The star city was gorgeous you say... but how did your Star city hit compared to a Gilbert. Heard star city is a stiff hit.

Last edited:

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Go to the for sale section, type Bob Frey into search, Gkloop has 4 full splice Freys for $850 apiece, pick one, never look back.

Why am I the Colonel? Because I always get the chicken

flowerpower2016

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how in the world could you people look this man in the eye and not tell him to buy a josey......how dare you!!!! my friend, buy any straight josey cue and it will be the best shooting cue you've shot with. the end. btw, to be fair there are just too many good shooting cue sticks out there ad theres more and more makers by the day so I would say maybe if youre looking at spending a grand then you need to spend up to 6 months trying to find different cues to shoot with. even travel a couple three four hours to expos or osmehting and try some cues out. everyones diff so nobody can really tell u wat you will like. its like asking" whos the hottest woman in the world?" youre just gonna get a huge list of different women. all diff, but all amazingly hot. same thing. all those cues shoot great so u need to put ur hands on one and see what you like. I know that's a boring answer but its true. if ylure just looking to spend 3- 400 then just pick custom cue maker who sells a sneaky pete cheap enough and get it. a sp made to ur liking as far as weight and shaft diameter and the kind of tip u like would do the trick unless you want a full spliced four point veneered job. gl man. charlie

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your response. I decided to go with a Schon. Have had it a few days and it's a bit of a hard hitter. I just bought a Jac Edge hybrid to try on it.. so see if it is worth the fuss. If I don't like it I will have my certified cuebuilder, ned morris, take the Schon shaft down a bit from 13 mm to about 12.5 and add a couple of inches of pro taper as well.

I wanted to try the Schon hit without changing anything first.. and I did that.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
how in the world could you people look this man in the eye and not tell him to buy a josey......how dare you!!!! my friend, buy any straight josey cue and it will be the best shooting cue you've shot with. the end. btw, to be fair there are just too many good shooting cue sticks out there ad theres more and more makers by the day so I would say maybe if youre looking at spending a grand then you need to spend up to 6 months trying to find different cues to shoot with. even travel a couple three four hours to expos or osmehting and try some cues out. everyones diff so nobody can really tell u wat you will like. its like asking" whos the hottest woman in the world?" youre just gonna get a huge list of different women. all diff, but all amazingly hot. same thing. all those cues shoot great so u need to put ur hands on one and see what you like. I know that's a boring answer but its true. if ylure just looking to spend 3- 400 then just pick custom cue maker who sells a sneaky pete cheap enough and get it. a sp made to ur liking as far as weight and shaft diameter and the kind of tip u like would do the trick unless you want a full spliced four point veneered job. gl man. charlie

I agree. Josey's are extremely consistent from cue to cue...but very stiff players. Glad I still have mine. :D

Wileydog

Banned
Thanks for your response. I decided to go with a Schon. Have had it a few days and it's a bit of a hard hitter. I just bought a Jac Edge hybrid to try on it.. so see if it is worth the fuss. If I don't like it I will have my certified cuebuilder, ned morris, take the Schon shaft down a bit from 13 mm to about 12.5 and add a couple of inches of pro taper as well.

I wanted to try the Schon hit without changing anything first.. and I did that.

A Jacoby cue to go with the Edge would have also been a good choice.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've only played with Schon and Gilbert. Nothing bad to say about Schon....really firm hit and forward balance......rock solid cue.

Gilbert is the one I'd go with.......I happen to think he simply builds a better hitting pool cue vs Schon.....I own a '85 Runde Schon
and it's really a firm hit. I've played with a Gilbert Cue for an entire evening at a pal's house when I hadn't brought any cue.

Go with the Gilbert.

Matt

JoeyC71176

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I absolutely love my Pechauer(s), break, jump, and player. Firm hit, great balance, finish is beautiful.. Their own LD shafts are fantastic as well

seaglass505

deadstroke
Silver Member
all depends

Everyones taste varies.
You've listed a couple decent cue makers. There are many people who make fine pool cues. But the two most important factors are. The hit and possible resale value. Just don't make inlays: an elaborate points sway your opinion. Obviously nice woods , wraps, ring work are very important. Especially for going to keep your cue for a long time.
There are many things that would be helpful to know when choosing the right pool cue.
What game do you predominantly play ?
How often do you play ?
How would you rate yourself as a player ?
Do you use a lot of English ?
Do you play on bar boxes or 9 foots ?
What type of cue appeals to your eye ?
For example a JW would be traditional.
And the sugar tree would be more modern .

So to answer those questions . I truly believe many AZ members can help you find the perfect cue for you

Rtoron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have hit the old schon's and the new schon's. The old schon's have a nicer hit that the new schon's. All the schon's do hit the same though.

RSCA HOOLIGAN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with a Josey for 2 years and it played great , then I bought myself a Bob Danielson with his SS360 shaft and this cue rocks . Bob is making me a second cue as we speak .
Everybody who's looking for a new cue should consider BD cues , his cues play like a dream .

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The star city was gorgeous you say... but how did your Star city hit compared to a Gilbert. Heard star city is a stiff hit.

Mine hit stiff but not as stiff as Andy Gilbert's. It hit stiff enough for me until I let a hack cue maker try to clean the shafts n sand it so much it played whippy