2014 World 9-Ball Championship

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Yes! I would like to comment on this. The official WPA Championship was held in Alicante in Spain. It was hosted by the 'official' Spanish Federation, who were recognised by the WPA despite the fact that a rival Spanish federation had all the top players and should have been the bona fide member of the WPA. Back in those dark days the WPA was run by Thomas Overbeck and Jorgen Sandman.

The event was a disaster with tables packed into an undersized ballroom.
There was barely room for 20 people to spectate and the Prize Money was pathetic.

The event was won by Nick Varner.

A couple of months later I helped Matchroom to produce The World Professional Pool Championship in Cardiff. This was as far away from Alicante as it could possibly get.

A space age staging and set from which 1000 people could view a range of matches. Live television coverage daytime and evening. This was slick ground breaking stuff and world professional pool took a quantum leap with a quarter of a million dollar prize fund.

With their event shamed the WPA were not pleased and in a bid to inhibit the competiton they threatened to stop Euro players playing in the upcoming Mosconi Cup. Matchroom faced with a top level TV show being scuppered offered to take over the existing WPA tournament. You can probably read a sanitised version of this somewhere but this is the real McCoy]

Thus the events merged and Matchroom ran the WPA World 9 Ball Championship for four more years in Cardiff, two in Teipei and one in Manila. They boosted the prize money every year until eventually they were undercut by a local promoter and that marked the end of the growth of pool.

As part of the deal the WPA 'adopted' the 1999 event because nowhere is it written that a World Championship has to be an annual event. But technically it falls into the same class as Shane's Predator and Dragon's bogus 14.1 World events none of them have a WPA endorsement.

Even though it is retrospective the sheer scale of the World Professional Championship leaves no doubt that Efren ws the true PROFESSIONAL WORLD CHAMPION that year

So then you're saying that Nick Varner shouldn't be credited with a world championship even though he won THE WPA world 9-ball championship? How can you have 2 world champions in the same year? Lol

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn, a fine tourney for ouschan too. He has stepped it up.

I guess it would be cool to see him take it down, anybody know who he's got next?

The old veteran Li He Wen. Li is tough to beat for Ouschan :D but from what we see from this tourney, pigs can fly so who knows

Yes! I would like to comment on this. The official WPA Championship was held in Alicante in Spain. It was hosted by the 'official' Spanish Federation, who were recognised by the WPA despite the fact that a rival Spanish federation had all the top players and should have been the bona fide member of the WPA. Back in those dark days the WPA was run by Thomas Overbeck and Jorgen Sandman.

The event was a disaster with tables packed into an undersized ballroom.
There was barely room for 20 people to spectate and the Prize Money was pathetic.

The event was won by Nick Varner.

A couple of months later I helped Matchroom to produce The World Professional Pool Championship in Cardiff. This was as far away from Alicante as it could possibly get.

A space age staging and set from which 1000 people could view a range of matches. Live television coverage daytime and evening. This was slick ground breaking stuff and world professional pool took a quantum leap with a quarter of a million dollar prize fund.

With their event shamed the WPA were not pleased and in a bid to inhibit the competiton they threatened to stop Euro players playing in the upcoming Mosconi Cup. Matchroom faced with a top level TV show being scuppered offered to take over the existing WPA tournament. You can probably read a sanitised version of this somewhere but this is the real McCoy]

Thus the events merged and Matchroom ran the WPA World 9 Ball Championship for four more years in Cardiff, two in Teipei and one in Manila. They boosted the prize money every year until eventually they were undercut by a local promoter and that marked the end of the growth of pool.

As part of the deal the WPA 'adopted' the 1999 event because nowhere is it written that a World Championship has to be an annual event. But technically it falls into the same class as Shane's Predator and Dragon's bogus 14.1 World events none of them have a WPA endorsement.

Even though it is retrospective the sheer scale of the World Professional Championship leaves no doubt that Efren ws the true PROFESSIONAL WORLD CHAMPION that year

The world 14.1 is not currently a WPA event but it was sanctioned when I initially revitalized the event. So, they were certainly valid world championships for the first 2 years (and also a subsequent year, I'm not sure which)

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are others struck by the fact that the Qatari people themselves obviously don't care about this event? The place is empty. More people show up for Junior High field hockey in my town...and this is a "World Championship"?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are others struck by the fact that the Qatari people themselves obviously don't care about this event? The place is empty. More people show up for Junior High field hockey in my town...and this is a "World Championship"?

That's pool...

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

if you tell them "pool" many of them will show up but will be disapoiinted when they see pool tables cos they tot you mean "swimming pool". It is very hot there now in summar so they love dips in pool :D

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So then you're saying that Nick Varner shouldn't be credited with a world championship even though he won THE WPA world 9-ball championship? How can you have 2 world champions in the same year? Lol

So then you're saying that Nick Varner shouldn't be credited with a world championship even though he won THE WPA world 9-ball championship?
NO I am not. I watched Nick win it and he played great to lift the title
How can you have 2 world champions in the same year?
Why not? World 9 Ball Champion and World Professional Pool Champion. What's the problem?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I've learned that my internet at work can't handle me streaming both soccer and pool.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Their all watching soccer ,, a real sport ;)

Last edited:

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
That shot that Yu Lung made on the 7 along the rail while being semi jacked up in front the 8 ball was amazing, probably the best shot I've seen in the tournament so far, I could be wrong though.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That shot that Yu Lung made on the 7 along the rail while being semi jacked up in front the 8 ball was amazing, probably the best shot I've seen in the tournament so far, I could be wrong though.

yes that was fantabulous. Other shot earlier on the one after Shane safe him was also nice though it did not go in :grin:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Agreed, one of the better clutch shots I have ever seen. Wow!

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
The old veteran Li He Wen. Li is tough to beat for Ouschan :D but from what we see from this tourney, pigs can fly so who knows

of all the world-class pool players around, i thnk Li He-Wen deserves a world championship. he's a real fighter and a fine gentleman of the sport. he's like the chinese version of Ralf. :)

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So then you're saying that Nick Varner shouldn't be credited with a world championship even though he won THE WPA world 9-ball championship?
NO I am not. I watched Nick win it and he played great to lift the title
How can you have 2 world champions in the same year?
Why not? World 9 Ball Champion and World Professional Pool Champion. What's the problem?
No problem pretty easy for clear thinkers to understand

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member

i agree, and i apologize for saying "what the f#$%" in all caps in the chat. that shot was tremendous!