What Hal Houle Told Me

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
This will open up something that I never wanted to, so be warned that I'll end up sounding like Hal Houle after all is said and done, but maybe there will be gold at the end of the rainbow. If you're attitude is to disprove any system I'm talking about, I have no interest. I want to share what I learned from Hal. And many of you know that when I was playing a lot, I've got the tournament wins to say that something worked. I give Hal a lot of credit for helping put my game into the winner's circle much more often.

I talked with Hal a few times. He even called me a couple of times, which is something that makes me feel really honored. This was an aging man who took the effort to call me to share something. He'd always put his phone number out there to call him, but a call form him to me? Yeah, it's special.

I started with the Small Ball, and after a few hours of it, I discovered why he would say that the relationship from the cueball to the object would change and rotate (revolve might be more correct). When I called him, and told him that I finally understood what he was saying,he gave me permission to talk about his system. At that time, he said I was the first. I don't know if he was being wholly honest, and maybe he was talking about internet posters.

Hal's biggest weakness was his inability to explain what he was talking about. His concern was that several people were talking/teaching his systems, and that they didn't quite understand what Hal was saying. He only told people that they could teach his system once he (Hal) was sure that they really got the rotating ball-to-ball relationship is that concept.

Once he was convinced I got it (and there were some trigger words I used that he was waiting for me to say), he gave me the second secret, which I didn't see him ever write on any post: you can add more reference points. That is, there are more than three angles or two references.

Yes, you can add more reference points, but if you didn't get the concept of rotating spheres, he'd never tell you this. But before you get all gloaty, if you come up with more than five, you're not doing his system. There's no infinite number of reference points in his systems. There's a point of diminishing returns if you try to keep adding reference points.

I decided to write this post because in recent months, I've been explaining some Houle concepts, but I found myself saying several things, which old internet posters will recognize as very Houlian:

Don't draw diagrams
I can show you easier than write it down
Open your mind
Call me
The balls rotate

I've become Hal Houle...

I'm at the BCAPL Nationals, and I saw a fellow AZer and started talking about CTE. When one of them started to talk about discrete aiming and geometry, I put my hand up to stop him and said that the moment you start talking about geometry, you've missed the concept and nothing I say further will make any sense. I can't do that (hand up) in a post. That's why Hal asked to call... so he could stop you before you dug yourself into a trench that didn't allow you to listen. It happens to everyone, including me. Hal told me to stop before I got into that trench. And I listened. And I heard.

I shared this with a friend, and he wanted to draw diagrams. But he said he understood the concept, so I gave him the okay. He drew in 3D the theory of rotating spheres. He got it. So he will be my first student that I will really show the aiming systems that Hal Houle shared with me.

Writing retorts won't happen here. We've done that. If you see me at an event, and you're willing to keep that open mind, willing to not say things like discrete or geometry, then I'm willing to show you (how Hal Houle-ish of me,). If you just want to disprove these things, don't bother. You're perfectly fine aiming your way.

I told Hal 15 years ago that I wouldn't teach any of his systems until I was ready. I'm ready, Hal.

Freddie <~~~ the box is open

Last edited:

JayTee

Really interesting post. I've never spoke to Hal or Stan (other than order confirmation through email) but I do own the DVD. I'm not looking to disprove anything, I want to learn.
Here's my problem (hoping you wanted questions posted instead of pm'd)...I clear my mind, get the visuals, and move in. My problem is I end up at the same spot using the same visual every time. So if I'm shooting an 8 degree cut I'll end up at the same shot line as a 15. Obviously that's not a good result. I realize you can't see me doing this in person so it's tough to tell what I'm doing incorrectly..but I'm guessing it's an issue with my pivot distance?

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I spoke to Hal and he was quite the deep thinker. It would be exciting to see 3D renderings here of the concepts you are talking about. Go for it!

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This will open up something that I never wanted to, so be warned that I'll end up sounding like Hal Houle after all is said and done, but maybe there will be gold at the end of the rainbow. If you're attitude is to disprove any system I'm talking about, I have no interest. I want to share what I learned from Hal. And many of you know that when I was playing a lot, I've got the tournament wins to say that something worked. I give Hal a lot of credit for helping put my game into the winner's circle much more often.

I talked with Hal a few times. He even called me a couple of times, which is something that makes me feel really honored. This was an aging man who took the effort to call me to share something. He'd always put his phone number out there to call him, but a call form him to me? Yeah, it's special.

I started with the Small Ball, and after a few hours of it, I discovered why he would say that the relationship from the cueball to the object would change and rotate (revolve might be more correct). When I called him, and told him that I finally understood what he was saying,he gave me permission to talk about his system. At that time, he said I was the first. I don't know if he was being wholly honest, and maybe he was talking about internet posters.

Hal's biggest weakness was his inability to explain what he was talking about. His concern was that several people were talking/teaching his systems, and that they didn't quite understand what Hal was saying. He only told people that they could teach his system once he (Hal) was sure that they really got the rotating ball-to-ball relationship is that concept.

Once he was convinced I got it (and there were some trigger words I used that he was waiting for me to say), he gave me the second secret, which I didn't see him ever write on any post: you can add more reference points. That is, there are more than three angles or two references.

Yes, you can add more reference points, but if you didn't get the concept of rotating spheres, he'd never tell you this. But before you get all gloaty, if you come up with more than five, you're not doing his system. There's no infinite number of reference points in his systems. There's a point of diminishing returns if you try to keep adding reference points.

I decided to write this post because in recent months, I've been explaining some Houle concepts, but I found myself saying several things, which old internet posters will recognize as very Houlian:

Don't draw diagrams
I can show you easier than write it down
Open your mind
Call me
The balls rotate

I've become Hal Houle...

I'm at the BCAPL Nationals, and I saw a fellow AZer and started talking about CTE. When one of them started to talk about discrete aiming and geometry, I put my hand up to stop him and said that the moment you start talking about geometry, you've missed the concept and nothing I say further will make any sense. I can't do that (hand up) in a post. That's why Hal asked to call... so he could stop you before you dug yourself into a trench that didn't allow you to listen. It happens to everyone, including me. Hal told me to stop before I got into that trench. And I listened. And I heard.

I shared this with a friend, and he wanted to draw diagrams. But he said he understood the concept, so I gave him the okay. He drew in 3D the theory of rotating spheres. He got it. So he will be my first student that I will really show the aiming systems that Hal Houle shared with me.

Writing retorts won't happen here. We've done that. If you see me at an event, and you're willing to keep that open mind, willing to not say things like discrete or geometry, then I'm willing to show you (how Hal Houle-ish of me,). If you just want to disprove these things, don't bother. You're perfectly fine aiming your way.

I told Hal 15 years ago that I wouldn't teach any of his systems until I was ready. I'm ready, Hal.

Freddie <~~~ the box is open

Freddie,

Hi, thanks for this thread. I am subscribed.

I'm on line for I left yesterday so I missed your one on one so I hope this thread will reveal how to relate the "Optics" to/for all of the cut angles. I am searching for those off of the edge of the OB where discrete points of aim on the OB equator do not exist - for me.

I draw in 2D but can also diagram in perspective. AutoCAD can also add Z-axis dimensions to make 3D models. We use Pro-E/CREO here at work though.

I liked how you moved your stance to demonstrate what you saw with each eye to line up the edge of that box aimed at the light on the wall as the/an example. Ultimately, when the stance is in the correct location, you can close your eyes and shoot all else being correct.

Be well

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
Thanks for the post and your sharing of some 'Houlian' information. I wasn't around when he posted on r.s.b. and I don't know of any archive that has his posts. If your willing to answer some questions about your post, I have a couple that I hope you can clear up for me.

I've only heard a little bit about Hal's 'Small Ball' concept. Would you explain how he presented it to you and what exercises you where doing on the table? I'm aware that he taught about a small ball of half radius pictured inside the balls but I don't know how he used it to explain his system. You said that there are five points to aim at but I'm unsure if you meant five per diameter or five per radius for a total of nine (the center used twice).

I hope other 'Houlian' personas show up and share the ideas he passed to them. This thread does have the potential to become a gold mine.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
It was great seeing you tonight, Freddie!!! I wish I wasn't trying to entertain my friends because our conversation was FAR more interesting to me. When I hear other people tell stories about Hal, it makes me smile. Can't wait for the next time we see each other-- we def have more to discuss. Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What Hal told me...............

Good talking with you, Freddie.........................
John

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Really interesting post. I've never spoke to Hal or Stan (other than order confirmation through email) but I do own the DVD. I'm not looking to disprove anything, I want to learn.
Here's my problem (hoping you wanted questions posted instead of pm'd)...I clear my mind, get the visuals, and move in. My problem is I end up at the same spot using the same visual every time. So if I'm shooting an 8 degree cut I'll end up at the same shot line as a 15. Obviously that's not a good result. I realize you can't see me doing this in person so it's tough to tell what I'm doing incorrectly..but I'm guessing it's an issue with my pivot distance?
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm not responding to questions here. It's not possible. PMs are fine, but phone calls and personally showing is really the best, just like Hal did.

Freddie

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Freddie -
You da man. I am also one of those that are fortunate enough to have had Hal call me several times and I got to hit some balls with him at a pool room in PA with Timberly. He's from MA so maybe he had a special place for us in his heart. You definitely "got it" where I only scratched the surface. I still regard those times speaking with him and staying at his home in PA some of the highlights of my pool playing life. You started to show me during the Lou/JB match and I can see with certainty, you are not blowing smoke. Looking forward to getting some table time with you.

Koop

Attachments

• Allentown 007.jpg
    Allentown 007.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,354

kildegirl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For anyone interested in Hal Houle's Small Ball aiming

This is from alt.sport.pool date 3/18,2001

BOB, WOULD YOU POST THIS FOR ME ON BOTH RSB AND ASP. THIS WEBTV BOX IS
NOT THE WAY TO HANDLE IT. I WANT IT SHOWN IN THIS LARGE TYPE.
Consider it done, Hal.

WHAT WE ARE LOOKING AT IS THE SPACE BETWEEN THE EDGE OF THE CUE STICK
FERRULE AND THE EDGE OF THE CUE BALL.

WHEN CUTTING TO THE LEFT, THE SPOT EXACTLY HALF-WAY BETWEEN THE LEFT
EDGE OF THE CUE STICK FERRULE, AND THE LEFT EDGE OF THE CUE BALL, MUST BE
AIMED AT THE OBJECT BALL CENTER OR EDGE FOR POCKETING MOST SHOTS.

WHEN CUTTING TO THE LEFT,YOU WILL NOTICE, THAT WHILE YOU ARE AIMING THAT
SPOT BETWEEN THE LEFT EDGE OF THE CUE STICK FERRULE, AND THE LEFT EDGE
OF THE CUE BALL, AT THE CENTER OF THE OBJECT BALL, THE SPOT BETWEEN THE
RIGHT EDGE OF THE CUE STICK FERRULE, AND THE RIGHT EDGE OF THE CUE BALL,
IS AIMED AT THE RIGHT EDGE OF THE OBJECT BALL.

WHETHER YOU EMPLOY ANY TYPE OF AIMING SYSTEM OR NOT, THE LINE -UP WILL
BE AS I JUST DESCRIBED, IF THE SHOT WAS SUCCESSFUL.

WHEN CUTTING TO THE RIGHT, REVERSE THE PROCESS OF AIMING.

TO INCLUDE ALL POSSIBLE ANGLES FOR BANKING SINGLE OR MULTIPLE RAILS,
CROSS BANKS, DOUBLE BANKS, CAROMS, AND COMBINATIONS, WE MUST NOW INCLUDE
AIMING THAT SPOT AT THE CENTER OF THE LEFT HALF, AND AT THE RIGHT HALF
OF THE OBJECT BALL.

A MOST BENEFICIAL ASPECT FROM USING THE CUE STICK AS PART OF AN AIMING
SYSTEM PROCESS, IS THAT IT GUARANTEES THAT THE CUE STICK WILL ALWAYS BE
EXACTLY PARALLEL TO THE LINE OF AIM, AND HIT.

Hal

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.