Ivory jointed all original Gus Szamboti, ? Would you refinish?

Maq1679

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, Please ignore this post, I had a buyer for this cue and he needed to see some pictures real quick. This was the only thread I could find at the time so I bumped it so he could see them. The cue is currently for sale on ebay. Thank you for all of the replies and kind words. ATTACH]261987[/ATTACH]

hrszamboti6.jpg

hrszamboti2.jpg

hrszamboti12.jpg

hrszamboti14.jpg

Ryan

Attachments

• hrszamboti9.jpg
    hrszamboti9.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,401
Last edited:

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
I wouldn't touch it unless Barry Sz does it and he gives you a letter of authenticity.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ii would recommend that you send a picture of your cue to barry and ask him your questions

i would not consider letting anyone else do the work if barry is taking repair work

best wishes
dean

Maq1679

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Szamboti

Thank you to all for your opinions and interest in this cue, so far the consensus is to leave it as is which is also the way I was leaning. I will try to respond to everyones PM's.

Thanks again,
Ryan

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I was/am in a similar situation with the Barry in my sig. The wrap has some polish from 20+ years of handling, so I asked (here on AZB) if I should rewrap & refinish while it's there.

First, it was suggested that a refinish could dimish value...but not necessarily improve it.

Second, it was suggested that Barry has a long, long, long waiting list...even for refinishing.

Third, it was suggested that a potential buyer would like to see the condition before any refinishing, which they would then take on themselves.

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny, the OP talked about the secrecy around these cues, and half the posts in the thread say "PM sent". LOL! Here is my opinion, since they are only original once I would never re-finish a cue by a deceased legendary cue maker unless the cue was in awful condition. This cue is not, in fact I like the patina on it. The joint and the wrap make this otherwise fairly plain Gus special and a bit rare. If it were mine, I would not sell it for anything less than $7500, however to the right buyer it could bring a little over $9000. This is the range I put the cue in. To those who are the real experts, and who sent PMs, am I right?

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
No refinish

apprx 9k if buying

11k if selling

Assuming shafts are minimum 12.75mm and cue is straight @ sound

That said it would be one of the LAST things i'd sell if destitute

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
It's funny, the OP talked about the secrecy around these cues, and half the posts in the thread say "PM sent". LOL! Here is my opinion, since they are only original once I would never re-finish a cue by a deceased legendary cue maker unless the cue was in awful condition. This cue is not, in fact I like the patina on it. The joint and the wrap make this otherwise fairly plain Gus special and a bit rare. If it were mine, I would not sell it for anything less than $7500, however to the right buyer it could bring a little over $9000. This is the range I put the cue in. To those who are the real experts, and who sent PMs, am I right?

Yep, pretty sound advice imo.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
apprx 9k if buying

11k if selling

Assuming shafts are minimum 12.75mm and cue is straight @ sound

That said it would be one of the LAST things i'd sell if destitute

Out of curiosity, how does the value of the cue change depending on buying or selling? Presumably, if the cue is valued at $11k why do you expect to get it for $9k? If there are buyers at $11k why would they sell to you for a $2K loss?

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That has to be a very old Gus.

Rare front. Glad to see it played. That is what they were intended for.
Is it a 19 oz Cue? And Keep it origional.
Things to think about.
If you play with it make sure it still has enough finish everywhere to keep it sealed. That case would be a definate call Barry and beg a refinish.
If you barely use it then the best bet is do not alter the Cue in any way.
Enjoy,
Nick :)

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Out of curiosity, how does the value of the cue change depending on buying or selling? Presumably, if the cue is valued at $11k why do you expect to get it for $9k? If there are buyers at $11k why would they sell to you for a $2K loss?

Market value to me, not value of the cue. No one knows the current or ultimate value of a cue of this ilk

Maq1679

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Szamboti

Thanks skierlawyer, Sean, Ribdoner and to all the others for your honest advice and opinions, as for the PM's I responded to I wasn't trying to be secretive it was just that a bunch of people inquired about buying the cue and I replied that I really don't have any plans to sell the cue, plus I kind of think that if someone sends you a message be it private or not that it is rude to not reply IMHO. Anyways thanks again to all of you, there is an incredible amount of knowledge, support and very helpful people in the AZ community.

Ryan

Maq1679

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Szamboti

Thanks for your opinion Nick, to be honest I can't remember the exact weights and I'm in the process of sending it to Barry for inspection so I'll have to get back to you on the weight.

Thanks
Ryan

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would leave the decision to the next owner. Only Barry should touch it and that would take a lot of time. The new owner should decide if s/he wants new shafts, which wrap, final weight, etc. No sense in spending that amount of time twice.

The dashed ring like yours is fairly common for a Szamboti cue. If there were two dashed rings at D and E, they were thin. If there was one dashed ring at E, Gus felt the thicker ring looked better (a quote from Barry).

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=3765138&postcount=33

Beautiful cue.