Schon Hybrid Shaft-brief review

Missing Link

Lock N Link
Silver Member
I picked up a slightly used CX51 last week, getting a good deal due to the original shaft being turned down at 12mm and a bad taper job. After attempting to find a Schon logo OB classic shaft, I ended up buying a Schon Hybrid 12.75mm 29" shaft from Billiards Warehouse for $200 (great service BTW).

The shaft is laminated, advertising low deflection and consistent hit, so I was interested in comparing it to my teammates STL15 at league, as my previous cue was a custom with a SW style taper which hits like a sledgehammer, with really high squirt.
The fit and finish on the shaft was excellent, had I not known it was a laminated shaft, I would not have been able to tell. It matched perfectly to my Schon butt and all ring and ferrule work was even and smooth. The finish was great on the wood itself and the pro taper was around 12"
Side by side, the hybrid feels a little softer and firm vs the crisper hit of the standard maple shaft. I would compare the Schon hybrid to a Joss maple in hit, very solid. This is with both shafts having the same Schon factory tip. I noticed less cue ball squirt, especially on power shots, needing to throw english on a long shot. Follow was very predictable, while draw required me to adjust from my old cue, but was still consistent. The squirt reminded me of a pre-cat Predator shaft, or The OB classic
Adjustment time took about 10 racks of focused work. I began with middle and worked out to the edges of the ball while running through common 9 ball shape shots. By the time my match rolled around, I was comfortable enough to play and win with it. Other players enjoyed the hit and performance in testing. I'm a SL6, for what that's worth.

Overall, I would say it is a solid hitting shaft, with lower deflection, but more squirt than a 314-2, OB 1, Z shaft, ect. Extreme english required significantly less compensation, was very predictable, and I was incredibly happy with my purchase. I feel as soon as one of Pooldawg8's Milkdud tips goes on (shameless shoutout, I have 15 of them), it will be perfect.

PS: I am wondering if this is a Schon finished Katana shaft. The play is comparable, with a better LM ferrule, and both are advertised as 10 ply laminate with a similar price point. Schon has a relationship with Cuestix International and the Katana shaft is affiliated with them as well. Either way, it was the quality I expect from the Schon name.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good to hear you like the shaft! Hopefully Schön can regain some of the market with their own LD shaft. I liked their cues but never got used to the massive squirt on the standard shaft.

Thanks for the review:smile:

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
First thread I've subscribed to. Looking forward to input. Trying to decide between this Schon Hybrid and a Katana. Thanks for starting the tread and adding the review.

Ched

RICKDOG224U

Registered
A very reliable source told me the Schon hybrid shafts are Chinese blanks and finished by Schon cues. I had one and it wasn't all that great. Gonna stick to my schon iv shaft and jacoby hybrid.

Rackattach

Banned
Schon stuff is exceptional. You can't beat the quality and long term ability to stay true and play well. I love the STL -1 Merry Widows. Maybe the finest cues every built for players