Brief comment on a Pechauer shaft

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the good fortune to pick up a plain jane Pechauer cue in very nice condition for dirt cheap. I never had one before, never shot one before.

I will comment further once I have had a chance to try it out but I wanted to say right off the bat I was impressed with the shaft wood. Seriously.

Higher ring count than expected, tight and very straight grain.

I have not weight it yet, but this shaft is fairly dense. I checked it against my Joss and found the joint diameter thicker on the Pechauer, so that would account for a little more weight. And it looks like at least a full 13mm tip.

Anyway, I do not know how typical this is for this company, but on one of their bottom end cues I found some really nice shaft wood. Hats off to them.

I'll post more after I have a chance to play with it.

Honestly I'll probably end up giving it away or selling it cheap. But for cheap I get to try out a maker I never tried before. I always thought they were probably similar to Joss...but I can tell with the different joint diameter it is in fact quite different.

We shall see..... :smile:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had the good fortune to pick up a plain jane Pechauer cue in very nice condition for dirt cheap. I never had one before, never shot one before.

I will comment further once I have had a chance to try it out but I wanted to say right off the bat I was impressed with the shaft wood. Seriously.

I have not weight it yet, but this shaft is fairly dense. I checked it against my Joss and found the joint diameter thicker on the Pechauer, so that would account for a little more weight. And it looks like at least a full 13mm tip.

Anyway, I do not know how typical this is for this company, but on one of their bottom end cues I found some really nice shaft wood. Hats off to them.

Honestly I'll probably end up giving it away or selling it cheap. But for cheap I get to try out a maker I never tried before. I always thought they were probably similar to Joss...but I can tell with the different joint diameter it is in fact quite different.

Pechauer, are usually well put together cues Doc. I am not surprised by the quality of shaft you received.
Best regards.
j2

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pechauer, are usually well put together cues Doc. I am not surprised by the quality of shaft you received.
Best regards.
j2

I never suspected they were not well constructed.

But good shaft wood is getting more and more scarce. I was very impressed to see such nice wood on what would be among their lower end line.

Often I think of the better wood being "reserved".

Kudos to an American cue maker. :thumbup:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never suspected they were not well constructed.

But good shaft wood is getting more and more scarce. I was very impressed to see such nice wood on what would be among their lower end line.

Often I think of the better wood being "reserved".

Kudos to an American cue maker. :thumbup:

I may be mistaken, but I believe Pechauer harvests some of their own wood. I suspect that they have quite a "reserve" of shaft wood. :wink: Sounds like you picked up a really nice player. :thumbup:
Joe P

got-roll-d

Djnjdot@gmail.com
Silver Member
There's a quick video on YouTube on their factory and wood stock..they make an Ld shaft definitely worth a try

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update:

I took the cue with me to the pool hall and tried it out. I took a few cues/shafts to compare. I compared my old block letter Joss, a 2002 Joss, Joss West, Scruggs, Huebler, Cobra Professional, Mizerak Professional Series, Paul Dayton, and Audrick.

You will note two of the cues, the Cobra and Mizerak, are "Taiwan" cues. They are probably better than you might think. The Audrick is a PI cue, also probably better than you might think.

The tip is an unknown single layer tip, hard.

After rotating through the other cues I picked up the Pechauer and immediately noticed a big difference between it and all of the others. I immediately over-cut every shot.

The cue was very solid, firm hitting, nice feedback. It felt good. I didn't like the wrap as it is not well pressed, but this is about the shaft.

After a rack I started to get used to it. I definitely had to adjust. I compared it to such a wide variety of cues and it seemed in some way to be the polar opposite. It consistently over-cut every shot. But since it was consistent, I was able to easily adjust after a while.

It was an interesting experience. I do not dislike the cue. The shaft is wonderful, but definitely has different playing characteristics from the others I compared with.

I'll probably keep it around for a while before I decide what to do with it. Nice cue, great shaft wood.

Incidentally, I compared it against all steel jointed cues while the Pechauer is a "wood to wood" cue with some kind of a phenolic or plastic collar. Honestly, it did not provide the feedback that my better steel jointed cues do. I think that whole idea about steel jointed cues not providing feedback and/or being dull or numb is a myth. Maybe with cheap cues that is true, but not with a Joss West or Joss...in fact not even with My Cobra Professional or Mizerak Professional, which most would say are "cheap" cues.

And also...my old block letter Joss was still the best among the cues tried. But I already knew that going in. :D

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Joint diameter on my 2010 Pech Pro-H is .87.5, the next biggest I have is McD D-3 @ .85. Regardless, that Pechauer plays great, and the whole cue is excellent wood!

Jedivman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own 5 J.P cues, 4 with S/S joints and a 95/96 Pro Hustler wood/wood joint. They all play very well but the Pro H hits the best. He makes a great cue