SPF stroke techique problem

westlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good day to all..i have a problem in set.pause.finish stroke..need some idea.when i use or do the spf without a cue in my grip hand my elbow doesnt drop or move.but when i playing spf with a cue in my grip hand its always drop my elbow id try to dilebirate to stop dropping my elbow but its hard.even i grip the cue loose i tighten up my shoulder too but its not working.when i stop or not m0ving my elbow its look like im poken up my shot a very small amount of follow through about 2inc only.my arm in set is or 90deg pointing on the floor in set position..some advice please..my chin touching the cue and my stance like a snooker type/style:frown:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW,
Tom Simpson has a Stroke Groover that allows you to stroke WITHOUT dropping the elbow. Its a sleeve-like thing that fits over your bicep area that physically prevents the elbow from dropping. I use mine every now and then. I think its supposed to attach to another cue but I have mine hung from the ceiling in my basement.

Tom recently passed, but I am sure you could find this item. Here, I even found you a link. Not sure if this might help you or not.

https://www.pooldawg.com/stroke-groover

r/DCP

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
The best way I can suggest is to find your finish position, and focus on bringing your grip hand to the home position every time. When done properly, it will prevent you from dropping your elbow. For most players, that spot is somewhere on the outside edge of your pec.
Steve

I had a similar issue. Use the little white donut stickers and mark your follow through position in the cloth with one. Cue ball position with another and your bridge hand length with another. Start out each practice session with 10-15 minutes of really good stroke and stance work. It may help.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The best way I can suggest is to find your finish position, and focus on bringing your grip hand to the home position every time. When done properly, it will prevent you from dropping your elbow. For most players, that spot is somewhere on the outside edge of your pec.
Steve

My spot is the nipple, It is sensitive and gives good feedback when I go off line with the stroke. I maintain four points of contact with the cue through the stroke and do not think about what my elbow is doing. I must feel like I am starting the stroke with my fingers like throwing a dart. The rest of the arm does what is needed to deliver the tip of the cue to the exact spot on the cue ball.

The avatar is an old picture and I do not have the chin and chest touching but I play better now.:wink:

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
westlife...Here is a no-cost solution to your problem. Fill a soda or water bottle with sand. Have someone balance the bottle of sand on your elbow as you pull back and swing forward through the CB (this is only for the final backswing and stroke through the CB). You have to hold the bottle up with your tricep, while swinging your arm from the elbow down to your natural finish on your chest. I use this tool successfully with all my students who have a problem with elbow drop.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

good day to all..i have a problem in set.pause.finish stroke..need some idea.when i use or do the spf without a cue in my grip hand my elbow doesnt drop or move.but when i playing spf with a cue in my grip hand its always drop my elbow id try to dilebirate to stop dropping my elbow but its hard.even i grip the cue loose i tighten up my shoulder too but its not working.when i stop or not m0ving my elbow its look like im poken up my shot a very small amount of follow through about 2inc only.my arm in set is or 90deg pointing on the floor in set position..some advice please..my chin touching the cue and my stance like a snooker type/style:frown:

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Who was your SPF Instructor?

randyg

westlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who was your SPF Instructor?

randyg
i have no instructor about the spf..i only watch on youtube...btw is it ok to drop elbow???? like ive seen a video on youtube billiard brothers youtube duda and fedor drop elbow..i watch snooke player judd trump the elbow stay up and shoot very well

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have no instructor about the spf..i only watch on youtube...btw is it ok to drop elbow???? like ive seen a video on youtube billiard brothers youtube duda and fedor drop elbow..i watch snooke player judd trump the elbow stay up and shoot very well

I am sorry to say that you are NOT getting the correct information from a DVD.

The SPF Technique is only taught by certified SPF Instructors.

No, the elbow drop is a decision that you make. SPF teaches that you never have to drop your elbow....ever!

Good luck
randyg