Stroke straightness and Digicue blue

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
This is all correct.

Don't worry about level or elevation. As long as your hand is not applying radial forces to the butt of the cue at the moment of impact, you should get a high score.

After 798 shots on the advanced level nearly all my straightness shots red-lined. My average was 6.87. From reading the above, maybe I need to deliver the que in a "throwing motion" in order to eliminate any radial force from my right stroking hand. I can usually green-line most of the other parameters but straightness escapes me for now. I want to follow this thread to try to figure out the flaw causing straightness red lining. Hope we can get more input here.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After 798 shots on the advanced level nearly all my straightness shots red-lined. My average was 6.87. From reading the above, maybe I need to deliver the que in a "throwing motion" in order to eliminate any radial force from my right stroking hand. I can usually green-line most of the other parameters but straightness escapes me for now. I want to follow this thread to try to figure out the flaw causing straightness red lining. Hope we can get more input here.

Are you going to the SBE? I'd be glad to show you in person.

I know that I can execute a pendulum stroke and get green on straightness. I should figure out how to better explain why.
I should also consider making a video on this because this is a common question.

Take a look at Jayson Shaw's scores.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1516204580206.jpg
    FB_IMG_1516204580206.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member

I know that I can execute a pendulum stroke and get green on straightness. I should figure out how to better explain why.
I should also consider making a video on this because this is a common question.

Yes, please make a u tube video on straightness. I do not know what SBE stands for. Will you be going to the Texas 10 ball open in Round Rock at Skinny Bob's next month? I can make it there. I'm in San Antonio.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member

It would be interesting to me to know how many shots he took and if this is an average of all those shots.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be interesting to me to know how many shots he took and if this is an average of all those shots.

SBE = Super Billiards Expo. No I won't be going to Texas.

Here is Jayson's Straightness histogram for 55 shots.

Attachments

• jayson shaw straightness.jpeg
    jayson shaw straightness.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 387

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...snip...

Shaw "finishes" for 2.496 seconds! I don't believe that! He's already shot the next 2 shots in that amount of time! I had to turn off my finish score, because it felt like an eternity staying down for even one second and was hard on my back.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be there i will have to check you out. Although i think i may have read this a little closer, you said radial force. Is that saying we are all basically twisting the stick when we stroke the cue? I as well am following this thread intently, hoping to get good info.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I will be there i will have to check you out. Although i think i may have read this a little closer, you said radial force. Is that saying we are all basically twisting the stick when we stroke the cue? I as well am following this thread intently, hoping to get good info.

After going to the expo and getting advice and instruction, would you mind posting what you learned. I am having a difficult time with this straightness thing. Thanks

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After going to the expo and getting advice and instruction, would you mind posting what you learned. I am having a difficult time with this straightness thing. Thanks

I will do that but it’s a a few months away I think. I was trying something. I tried that radial force. I had someone watch the points on my cue during the stroke and they said it turns slightly on the forward stroke. So consciously I tried not to do it and was able to have better straightness and my tip steer would give me right more which it was always left. So I mean I really have to mess with it more to understand what I’m actually doing.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw "finishes" for 2.496 seconds! I don't believe that! He's already shot the next 2 shots in that amount of time! I had to turn off my finish score, because it felt like an eternity staying down for even one second and was hard on my back.

Nick, he finishes for longer. 2.5s is maxed out. Here is his histogram. BTW, hard on your back... Could be something to fix? You should be so comfortable in your shooting position that you could take a nap.

Attachments

• 3792.jpeg
    3792.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I will do that but it’s a a few months away I think. I was trying something. I tried that radial force. I had someone watch the points on my cue during the stroke and they said it turns slightly on the forward stroke. So consciously I tried not to do it and was able to have better straightness and my tip steer would give me right more which it was always left. So I mean I really have to mess with it more to understand what I’m actually doing.

My tip steer is mostly to the left. i red line straightness always. I may accidentally get greenline but not often.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Sounds like alignment issues to me, and the hands rolling to compensate and rectify the shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so let me give an updated post. Just from trying to correct the turning of the hand I was able to correct a lot of the straightness in a tournament tonight. Keep in mind I have way better stats in tournaments then in practice ( who knows why). So it’s something to work on in my opinion. This damn DigiCue blue will be the death of me lol.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Ok so let me give an updated post. Just from trying to correct the turning of the hand I was able to correct a lot of the straightness in a tournament tonight. Keep in mind I have way better stats in tournaments then in practice ( who knows why). So it’s something to work on in my opinion. This damn DigiCue blue will be the death of me lol.

I may have turning of the hand problems also. So did you correct it by focusing on not turning your hand? Or did you do something else like stance correction . How exactly did you correct it? Thank you

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Sounds like alignment issues to me, and the hands rolling to compensate and rectify the shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the way to correct "hand rolling" to focus on not rolling the hand? Or is there another method like stance correction or something else?

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may have turning of the hand problems also. So did you correct it by focusing on not turning your hand? Or did you do something else like stance correction . How exactly did you correct it? Thank you

I don’t think I did anything specific as of yet but to try and keep my hand quiet when doing the forward stroke. I consciously thought of it for about an hour then had to practice to get ready for the tournament and saw improvement. Told myself not to worry about while playing but looking at my stats afterwards I rarely faulted on straightness on intermediate. That’s just from a day of noticing a stroke flaw. I have a feeling if I work on it I will get much better at it.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

Out of curiosity, for those of us who have the old digicue, what ranges would we be in for beginner, intermediate and advanced assuming 75% - 100% success rate for each level? This is cool stat you put up, and it would be neat to be able to get even a crude comparison if that is at all possible.