Az Members who build their own cues please post photo's of your new and old work!!!!

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Hello, I am certain that their are a large number of AZ Members who build their own cues. I have not seen a thread to date where everyone posted photo's of their work. This thread could kinda be used as a trade mark index of cue makers that post on AZ, whether a beginner or well a respected cue maker, you could post updates of your cues whether for sale or already sold. This would be rewarding to everyone involved, especially new members looking for a custom cue. It will also give the up and coming cue makers a chance to share their work and get opinions from a very large group of people.

Thanks in advance for your support!!!

Have a good night

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I'll go first. I'm not ashamed of my learning curve :)

These cues were both built by me, several years apart. The top is a valley supreme cut in half, buckhorn joint collar & buttcap added with 5/16-18 threaded rod as a joint pin. I had no way of accurately tapering anything so I sanded everything as close as I could eyeball it. At this point in time I had no clue a router could be attached to a lathe. There used to be a linen wrap but it was rat-nested & unwound so I look it off.

The bottom cue is recently completed. It is an example of years of trial & error and much experimentation. Not to mention, lots of wood has been wasted in the learning gap between these two cues. I'm proud to say that mistakes come much less often than back then & I think I have come a long way. However, my mistakes now cost a whole lot more!!!!

ba.jpg

Eric Crisp
Sugartree Customs

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
qbilder said:
I'll go first. I'm not ashamed of my learning curve :)

These cues were both built by me, several years apart. The top is a valley supreme cut in half, buckhorn joint collar & buttcap added with 5/16-18 threaded rod as a joint pin. I had no way of accurately tapering anything so I sanded everything as close as I could eyeball it. At this point in time I had no clue a router could be attached to a lathe. There used to be a linen wrap but it was rat-nested & unwound so I look it off.

The bottom cue is recently completed. It is an example of years of trial & error and much experimentation. Not to mention, lots of wood has been wasted in the learning gap between these two cues. I'm proud to say that mistakes come much less often than back then & I think I have come a long way. However, my mistakes now cost a whole lot more!!!!

ba.jpg

Eric Crisp
Sugartree Customs

Thanks for posting Eric, this is exactly what i was hoping for. Like you said there is a very large difference between your first cue and what you are making now, I mean WOW:D Thanks for posting Eric, and as you complete more cues please post them.

Have a great night!!!!

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Well here are a few of my cues.

The photo's below are some of the early cues I have made.

Forearm 2.jpg

Butt.jpg

The next set of photo's are cues that were finished in the last six months.

cues.jpg

forearm use.jpg

Butts use first.jpg

I have been building Conversion cues for almost 2 years!!!

Have a great night!!!!

Last edited:

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are a few that were completed this year. I will look for some older cue photos when I get home. Chris.

07shoot013.jpg

07shoot012.jpg

07preview008-1.jpg

This one was around 2 years ago
shopphotos06001.jpg

shopphotos06002.jpg

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Thanks Chris and Joey for postinmg some of your work, I hope to see more in the future.

Have a good Day

Tony Zinzola

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are mine. I haven't been at this for all that long. My first cue was completed in January or February of this year.

Here's a picture of that awful thing. I've been tempted to burn it along with some of my other disasters, but something keeps me from throwing it in the fire. I guess so I can look at it from time to time and have a good laugh. Was 4 Purple Heart Points into Maple with 3 Veneers. Veneers were Stacked and they were horrible. Points were skinny enough to probably fit 8 points in the cue. Finish was pretty much non-existent. I think I just threw a thin coat of epoxy on it to seal it up:

09-24-07-001.jpg

09-24-07-002.jpg

My second cue was finished a couple of months after that. There were plenty in between, but none made it to completion. Made lots of tasty smores with them though. This was Cocobolo with Curly Maple Handle. No points. Finish was CA. This is the only cue I have made with no points and hopefully will remain that way. I prefer to make cues with points.

04-10-07-02.jpg

04-10-07-01.jpg

Here is the most recent cue I finished. 4 Purple Heart Points into Bees Wing Narra. 4 Veneers. Linen Wrap. Finish was Automotive Clear Coat. Veneers were Mitered. Here's a picture of that with a close up of the miters.

08-27-07-001.jpg

08-27-07-002.jpg

08-27-07-003.jpg

Here's one that will be finished this week. 4 Amboyna Burl Points into Cocobolo. 4 Veneers. Thuya Burl Handle. Will be finished with Clear Coat tomorrow or Sunday and ready to go mid week:

09-24-07-003.jpg

09-24-07-004.jpg

09-24-07-005.jpg

I have quite a few in the works at present and an Inlay Machine that I have still barely touched. I hope if all goes well to get some inlays in a cue this weekend, but I've been saying that for over a month now.

I've gotten some help along the way from a few people here and without it, my cues may very well still look like the first one in this picture. I hope to have more finished up soon.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Tony Zinzola said:
Here are mine. I haven't been at this for all that long. My first cue was completed in January or February of this year.

Here's a picture of that awful thing. I've been tempted to burn it along with some of my other disasters, but something keeps me from throwing it in the fire. I guess so I can look at it from time to time and have a good laugh. Was 4 Purple Heart Points into Maple with 3 Veneers. Veneers were Stacked and they were horrible. Points were skinny enough to probably fit 8 points in the cue. Finish was pretty much non-existent. I think I just threw a thin coat of epoxy on it to seal it up:

09-24-07-001.jpg

09-24-07-002.jpg

My second cue was finished a couple of months after that. There were plenty in between, but none made it to completion. Made lots of tasty smores with them though. This was Cocobolo with Curly Maple Handle. No points. Finish was CA. This is the only cue I have made with no points and hopefully will remain that way. I prefer to make cues with points.

04-10-07-02.jpg

04-10-07-01.jpg

Here is the most recent cue I finished. 4 Purple Heart Points into Bees Wing Narra. 4 Veneers. Linen Wrap. Finish was Automotive Clear Coat. Veneers were Mitered. Here's a picture of that with a close up of the miters.

08-27-07-001.jpg

08-27-07-002.jpg

08-27-07-003.jpg

Here's one that will be finished this week. 4 Amboyna Burl Points into Cocobolo. 4 Veneers. Thuya Burl Handle. Will be finished with Clear Coat tomorrow or Sunday and ready to go mid week:

09-24-07-003.jpg

09-24-07-004.jpg

09-24-07-005.jpg

I have quite a few in the works at present and an Inlay Machine that I have still barely touched. I hope if all goes well to get some inlays in a cue this weekend, but I've been saying that for over a month now.

I've gotten some help along the way from a few people here and without it, my cues may very well still look like the first one in this picture. I hope to have more finished up soon.

I really like your veneers, they are tight with no glue obvious glue lines. Thanks very much for post in this thread, and please continue to post your new work.

Have a great night!!!!

Ballistic Billiards

Step up your Game!
Silver Member
good sticky

I would love to read a little philosophy along with the pictures.

Tony Z.,
Your progress inspires me.

Chris B.,
In your third picture the top cue has a stained curly maple handle
and the second one is a stack leather wrap?

Thanks guys.
-cOOp, can't get enough

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
coopdeville said:
I would love to read a little philosophy along with the pictures.

Tony Z.,
Your progress inspires me.

Chris B.,
In your third picture the top cue has a stained curly maple handle
and the second one is a stack leather wrap?

Thanks guys.
-cOOp, can't get enough
Coop the grey curly is resin impregnated wood from wildwoods. The middle cue does have stack leather. I was using that cue as my personal player for around 6months, I prefer the leather to have some texture to it. The top v point cue also has stack leather on it. That one is polished up as per customer specs. I prefer mine between flat smooth and suede feeling. I just sold the ebony cue I was using to a local player who needed a cue that night. I really need to make a cue so ugly no one will want to buy it, I keep selling my own cues. Oh well I could have worse problems. Chris.

FLYINGSNAIL

Koo Cues
Silver Member
My personal cue that I made for my self

manwon said:
Hello, I am certain that their are a large number of AZ Members who build their own cues. I have not seen a thread to date where everyone posted photo's of their work. This thread could kinda be used as a trade mark index of cue makers that post on AZ, whether a beginner or well a respected cue maker, you could post updates of your cues whether for sale or already sold. This would be rewarding to everyone involved, especially new members looking for a custom cue. It will also give the up and coming cue makers a chance to share their work and get opinions from a very large group of people.

Thanks in advance for your support!!!

Have a good night
Here is one that I made for my self 4 1/2 years ago. I had a Tad cue looks like this one. I made a copy of it when I was learning how cut taper. This is a one piece cue, no joint pin under wrap. 3/8-11 joint pin.
"KOO CUES"
DSC01120-1.jpg

DSC01122.jpg

DSC01124.jpg