Daryl Peach safety after the Break

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
So I'm having a discussion on the possibility of poor sportsmanship involving Daryl Peach and an opponent on the GB9 Ball tour.

Peach is up 7-3 (race to 9?) and his opponent fouls on the break. Then Peach plays a safe of the 1 ball of the frozen rack to 3 foul him.

First I would like to say that this is perfectly a legal shot and he did make it legally but the question is... Do you think with such a commanding lead against a weaker player he should have just broke the balls and run out?

Personally If I was in Peach's position I would've broke and continued to play the rack. It just seems like a little unsportsmanlike to do that when having a strong lead against someone in the first round of this Tour.

Thoughts...
https://m.facebook.com/groups/289229958075317?view=permalink&id=498673273797650

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't view the video.

That said, without seeing it, no, I don't think playing for a three foul is unsportsmanlike. His opponent won 3 games, how many more should Daryl be expected to donate on top of that to avoid being tarred as unsportsmanlike?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ain't no non-chalantin' about the pool table.

This is war.

Seriously- a legal shot- by definition- is acceptable. End story.

To ease up or to show mercy will cost a man the set. Not always, but once is too often, ya know?

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm having a discussion on the possibility of poor sportsmanship involving Daryl Peach and an opponent on the GB9 Ball tour.

Peach is up 7-3 (race to 9?) and his opponent fouls on the break. Then Peach plays a safe of the 1 ball of the frozen rack to 3 foul him.

First I would like to say that this is perfectly a legal shot and he did make it legally but the question is... Do you think with such a commanding lead against a weaker player he should have just broke the balls and run out?

Personally If I was in Peach's position I would've broke and continued to play the rack. It just seems like a little unsportsmanlike to do that when having a strong lead against someone in the first round of this Tour.

Thoughts...

When you are ahead never, ever let up an a guy. A set of 9 ball can turn on any little thing, it`s weird.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok by me

I know many players who view the 3 foul rule as "dirty pool".

I am ok with the 3 foul rule and believe every one should follow the rules with out complaining. For a pro trying to make money, letting up on your opponent is like a race car driver letting some one behind him catch up a little.

If I am playing some one for fun and I am clearly better I won't 3 foul them, unless I believe they would do it to me.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thoughts...

This attitude is something I have never and will never understand about pool players.

A rule is a rule, everyone knows them (or should) when they sign up for a tournament, its the same for everyone regardless of ability.

I'm sure we all have rules that we would like to change, or remove, or even add...but to say someone is being unsporting for merely playing within the rules is just plain wrong.

In my opinion, pool constantly holds itself back with unspoken 'etiquette' that only 'real' players understand and all newbies/non-regular tournament players are supposedly meant to magically know about (sorry I realise I'm going on a tangent here...just mentioning as its a similar sort of thing).

I have played on the GB9 tour and if I was in that situation I would expect any player to show me no mercy, everyone is there to do their best, play within the rules and win...if you don't like the rules thats cool, petition to have them changed...but don't suggest others are in the wrong for playing within them.

Last edited:

Anthony_Beeler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thoughts...

The minute you let up he will combo the 9 in and then make it on the snap and then run 2 racks. You can't ever let up. Thats why Peach is a champion. He is cold blooded during match play. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to understand your thinking here.... he's wrong for letting his opponent back to the table, but he would be in the right if he ran out the table and didn't give his opponent an opportunity to shoot at something?? Is that what you really are saying here?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to understand your thinking here.... he's wrong for letting his opponent back to the table, but he would be in the right if he ran out the table and didn't give his opponent an opportunity to shoot at something?? Is that what you really are saying here?

Lol I'm not sure the OP even knows what he is saying

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate it when a guy safeties me to death. I hate him, myself, and the whole world, because I'm not good enough to get out of it. If you are the victim of the given scenario, and you don't like it, Get Better

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I once had a guy get upset and threaten to quit a tournament match against me because I played safe when I had ball in hand but no chance to pocket the lowest numbered ball. This just exposes someone like him as a complete moron. Don't be like him.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When anyone shows you their soft underbelly,you grab the biggest knife you can find and jab it in and twist repeatedly until they are dead and stop twitching.All the time always no matter what.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And if possible you pull out his still beating heart and say "Look me in the eye.I did this to you."

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Personally If I was in Peach's position I would've broke and continued to play the rack. ...
Just in case it's not clear.... While Peach could have placed the cue ball behind the line and broken, it would not have been a break shot. In case he is hooked after the shot he has no option to push out. If he makes a ball he must shoot the next shot. On the other hand, if he fails to make a ball, his opponent can't push out either.

As for the link posted, here is what FacePlant says to me:

Closed Group
Anyone can find the group and see who's in it. Only members can see posts.​
There's a fine attitude.

Anthony_Beeler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Bob. The bottom line is, he knew he could execute the safety almost 100 percent of the time. His odds of success were far less if he decided to break the rack. In fact, most pros only make balls roughly 80 percent of the time on the break. Calculate in the odds of getting position after slamming the rack and your probably only an 60 percent favorite. The law of averages wins over the long haul. Peach made the right decision!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Then its also unsportsmanlike to continue and run out the rack....

Sounds like in your neck of the woods, three fouls is not considered good form.