Jose Parica
Old
  (#1)
1on1pooltournys
AzB Silver Member
1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25
  Send a message via AIM to 1on1pooltournys Send a message via Yahoo to 1on1pooltournys  
Jose Parica - 01-12-2018, 05:23 PM

Does anybody know what happened to Jose? Is he still alive and well? I always liked his game.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

"To play billiards well was a sign of an ill-spent youth"
-Herbert Spencer

"If you're smart enough to know, then you are smart enough to keep your mouth shut."
-anonymous "Old School"pool hustler

"The game of Billiards has destroyed my naturally sweet disposition."
- Samuel Clemens

"Most men live lives of quiet desperation."
- Henry Thoreau

"I'm what the game made me."
- Mikey Frost

Old
  (#2)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member
Cardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-12-2018, 09:58 PM

I second this. Jose used to come around and play the turning stone classic in the mid 2000's and I'll never forget watching him duke it out with Johnny archer in a 3 hour grudge match that kind of brought me back to the game after being away for a while.

I miss watching Parica play.

Old
  (#3)
ace911
AzB Silver Member
ace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond repute

01-12-2018, 10:15 PM

He is doing well, I talked to him a few months ago. He's retired, he is spending time with his family in the Philippines.

Mike Wong vs Jayson Shaw Finals Match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev_Ucj5Lrkg

Old
  (#4)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member
Cardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond repute

01-12-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace911 View Post
He is doing well, I talked to him a few months ago. He's retired, he is spending time with his family in the Philippines.
Thanks for the input.
It's good to know all is well and he's with family.
When you see him again, tell him his fans wished he had a farewell tour before retiring so we could cheer him on one last time.

Old
  (#5)
ace911
AzB Silver Member
ace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond reputeace911 has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2018, 12:02 AM

Hey Cardigan,

I will sure thing. I think they held some sort of "Welcome Home" ceremony for him in October. His son posted some pictures on FB. This is one of them. Cheers!

Name:  22338831_1561243903967534_3663518007137174297_o.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  196.4 KB

Mike Wong vs Jayson Shaw Finals Match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev_Ucj5Lrkg

Old
  (#6)
grindz
AzB Silver Member
grindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

01-13-2018, 02:11 PM

Definitely one of my favorite players to watch... right up there with Earl, Rodney, and a
Few others!! I will miss the show.

Td

Old
  (#7)
JAM
On the Hill
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

01-14-2018, 02:13 AM

What a great photo of Jose, Bustie, Efren, et al.! Thanks for sharing.

Jose is a good friend of Keith's. In fact, when I met Keith for the very first time in Maryland, he was traveling with Jose Parica
from Derby City Classic to the Capital City Classic in Maryland.

Me, I had been away from pool for a long, long time, working at my career in Washington, D.C. I ran into an old pool croney
who told me about this tournament in Maryland said I should come meet him and hang out with the rest of my pool gang
that I had not seen in a while.

So I did. I drove out there to the tournament, and in the parking lot, my friend called me and said he could not make it,
that he had to work late. I almost drove away, thinking I wouldn't know anybody inside, but I reluctantly went inside alone
to check it out.

When I first walked in, I ran into Dennis Wilson and his lovely wife Rose. Wow! Old friends of mine who happened
to be running the tournament. We chatted for a while, and then I moseyed on inside the tournament room, and there
was Tom-Tom, Timmy Crown, Black Brandon, and a slew of othe Maryland pool peeps. It was just like old times,
me sitting on the rail with them, cackling and laughing. I had a blast.

I went outside to smoke a cigarette, and there he was in full view, the infamous Keith McCready aka Grady Seasons.
I never met him before, but I knew about him from my old boyfriend Geese. Geese went to California and hung out
with Keith and Cole Dickson playing pool all over the state. In fact, Cole and Geese became pretty good buddies.

So I got my nerve up and spoke to this Keith McCready, a stranger to me, while puffing on my cigarette and said,
"You may know my old boyfriend. He said he stayed with you in California. His name is Geese." Keith immediately
acknowedged Geese, and we shared a few Geese stories, pool tales that are always funny and entertaining.

And up walks this short man who smiles at Keith as he's getting ready to enter the venue. Keith introduces me to him
and says that his name is Jose. I was pretty green about professional pool back then. In fact, I didn't know anything about
who's who in pool on the national scene back then. I said, "Hi, Jose. Do you play pool too?" Jose giggled and nodded his head yes
and quickly entered the venue, without saying a word.

Jose Parica, the man I asked if he played pool too, ended up winning the tournament at the Capital City Classic that week.

The story continues from here about Keith, me, and the legendary Larry Lisciotti, but I'll save that for another time.
Attached Images

Last edited by JAM; 01-14-2018 at 02:19 AM.

Old
  (#8)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

01-14-2018, 10:43 AM

I liked Parica's approach to the game. Keep it simple.

Old
  (#9)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

01-14-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
I liked Parica's approach to the game. Keep it simple.
Only one of the best pool players who ever lived. Top five all time in my book!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#10)
Pangit
AzB Silver Member
Pangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Nothing against Jose personally, but his slow play is excruciating to watch...How many world championships or US opens has he won? I see him as a perpetual bridesmaid.

Bridesmaid?
Old
  (#11)
Rico
AzB Silver Member

Rico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond repute

Talking Bridesmaid? - 01-15-2018, 09:07 AM

Bridesmaid? If Jose was a bridesmaid the groom might have run off on the bride.For the cash as good as any.Jose is alot like Nick Varner(who put the rabbit back in the hat on the Magician ) Jay i agree one of the best!

Old
  (#12)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member

01-15-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
What a great photo of Jose, Bustie, Efren, et al.! Thanks for sharing.

Jose is a good friend of Keith's. In fact, when I met Keith for the very first time in Maryland, he was traveling with Jose Parica
from Derby City Classic to the Capital City Classic in Maryland.

I went outside to smoke a cigarette, and there he was in full view, the infamous Keith McCready aka Grady Seasons.
I never met him before, but I knew about him from my old boyfriend Geese. Geese went to California and hung out
with Keith and Cole Dickson playing pool all over the state. In fact, Cole and Geese became pretty good buddies.

And up walks this short man who smiles at Keith as he's getting ready to enter the venue. Keith introduces me to him
and says that his name is Jose. I was pretty green about professional pool back then. In fact, I didn't know anything about
who's who in pool on the national scene back then. I said, "Hi, Jose. Do you play pool too?" Jose giggled and nodded his head yes
and quickly entered the venue, without saying a word.

Jose Parica, the man I asked if he played pool too, ended up winning the tournament at the Capital City Classic that week.

The story continues from here about Keith, me, and the legendary Larry Lisciotti, but I'll save that for another time.
This is what I love about this site.
Asking Jose if he played pool too

Great story, Jam. I'm ready for the book! And I'll order 2 if Keith and you sign it.

Old
  (#13)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangit View Post
Nothing against Jose personally, but his slow play is excruciating to watch...How many world championships or US opens has he won? I see him as a perpetual bridesmaid.
You should try searching before inserting foot

Old
  (#14)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangit View Post
Yeah, but he beat all those guys for the cash! For over twenty years no one wanted a piece of him playing even, Taiwan, China, USA and Europe included! Top players routinely got the eight ball playing Ten Ball and some got the eight, nine and ten. It still wasn't enough! Earl got drilled in his prime getting the nine ball playing Ten Ball. Buddy was our best and he continually ducked Parica.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 01-15-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Old
  (#15)
Nostroke
TooCoolForTheRoom
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
01-15-2018, 10:52 AM

Time and tide don't wait for no man!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: