Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page The Rack in Detroit
Page 20 of 20 « First 10181920

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 4.91 average.
Old
  (#286)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-13-2018, 12:58 AM

I read every post. Wow! Quite an education.

Old
  (#287)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2018, 05:10 AM

On my one and only trip to the Rack (Cornbread got me in) I watched a match between Jimmy Reid and some other guy, with Jimmy giving up the six ball and the break. They were playing a set for ten grand (1976) and I asked if anyone wanted to bet 100 a game on the side. Some guy looked at me and laughed, "You have to bet at least 500 a game to get action in here!" I knew then this was the wrong place for me and I had five grand in my pocket. That was all my traveling money and there were no ATM's back then where you could reload.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#288)
12squared
AzB Gold Member
12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-13-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Cool...what was the address, please?
Mr. Balled, just as a side note...

I grew up about a mile north of there (The Rack) in Oak Park: 13330 Rosemary, same side of the street and almost the same address just east of coolidge. 3 bedrooms, 1 bath for a family of 6 (3 boys in one room, one for the baby sister). We moved to a bigger house about 1 1/2 miles further from the poolroom about 4 years before I began to play.

Old
  (#289)
Black-Balled
Look!Everything'sSpinning
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
01-13-2018, 06:20 AM

Ahh...then I now know why you beat on me so mercilessly.

I grew up in a county that had 0 pool halls.

Two thirds from the top,
Another third for roads and cops.
Don't kid yourself that it's ever gonna stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
...he loves pool, but he lost his love for pool halfway through the one pocket...

Old
  (#290)
ceebee
AzB Silver Member
ceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via Skype™ to ceebee 
01-13-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ardeno View Post
Ed"Detroit Whitey' Beuchene used "The Rack' as him home base. That pretty much says what you need to know about the clientele!

Freddy Bentivegna will have numerous war stories to add should he see this thread.

Some of the stuff that went on there, the statue of limitations STILL hasn't expired!
I knew Whitey, he had invited me to come see him in the early 60's. I watched him play at the Cotton Bowling Palace, in Dallas, TX

ceebee
USMC- Ret.
www.breakrak.com
918-543-6600
SKYPE charley.bond.inola
Every game Starts with the Break Shot

Old
  (#291)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebee View Post
I knew Whitey, he had invited me to come see him in the early 60's. I watched him play at the Cotton Bowling Palace, in Dallas, TX
Detroit Whitey was the lowest of the low-lifes in the Pool world!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#292)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Detroit Whitey was the lowest of the low-lifes in the Pool world!
I heard he hock'd his kid to play a set. If that's true that is pretty low indeed.

Old
  (#293)
ceebee
AzB Silver Member
ceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via Skype™ to ceebee 
01-13-2018, 11:39 AM

I didn't want to say that about him, we weren't friends. We met at the palace & that was that. I hate to say bad things about dead people, but you did it for me... He talked about things in Pool in the Detroit area. He was playing Bobby Chapman that evening. One of the fellows here at Magoos knew Whitey, his remarks weren't quite as bad as yours...

ceebee
USMC- Ret.
www.breakrak.com
918-543-6600
SKYPE charley.bond.inola
Every game Starts with the Break Shot

Page 20 of 20 « First 10181920

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: