Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page The Rack in Detroit
Page 3 of 20 123 4513 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 4.91 average.
The raid at the Rack
Old
  (#31)
freddy the beard
Freddy Bentivegna
freddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

The raid at the Rack - 12-15-2008, 06:51 AM

The joint got raided one night. I missed that one. They collected an incredible amount of cash, which was eventually returned. One broken down looking old man had 100k cash on him. The police couldnt believe someone that looked that shabby could have that kind of cheese in his pocket. It turned out he owned the building that the police station was in.

That's the same night that CornBread told Bugs in the lockup, "Let's see you bank your way out of this trap, Bugs!"

the Beard

Bank on, brother!

100s of pgs of pool goodness on my site
www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Old
  (#32)
ironman
AzB Silver Member
ironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond repute

12-15-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSutton
So who owned The Rack and why did it end up closing. Trouble with the law for all the action? Hell how do you even attract that kind of action to your room. Just a case of all the right elements I guess that or it was a bunch of criminals and mob types mixed with charlatans and con men
You name them, they were there.

Danny Medina and I were walking into Hard Times around 2 AM just as Ronnie Allen was walking out. He looked at us and said, " what the hell are you two doing this time of night?" we replied, " just checking things out". Ronnie snaps back " get the hell outta here boys, the only people out this time of night are Gypsies, whores, and thievs!" We laughed about that for weeks.

Old
  (#33)
bud green
Dolley and Django
bud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

12-15-2008, 07:43 AM

If Billy Incardona ever writes a book, I nominate him to do the full story or however much he remembers about the Rack.

Hell, I'd read Billy's book even if it didn't talk about the Rack.

Uh...I'm not so interested in the screwing the pooch type stories. Blech.

Old
  (#34)
SpiderWebComm
HelpImBeingOppressed
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

12-15-2008, 08:51 AM

I can't get enough Rack stories. Jay and Beard - just one or two more - I'm begging.

Viffer: The Movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JFIy2ebJIE

Old
  (#35)
FSutton
Full Rack Banks only!
FSutton has a reputation beyond reputeFSutton has a reputation beyond reputeFSutton has a reputation beyond reputeFSutton has a reputation beyond reputeFSutton has a reputation beyond reputeFSutton has a reputation beyond reputeFSutton has a reputation beyond reputeFSutton has a reputation beyond reputeFSutton has a reputation beyond reputeFSutton has a reputation beyond reputeFSutton has a reputation beyond repute

12-15-2008, 10:19 AM

Yeah please bring them on. I wish someone would just write a book about the great pool rooms like The Rack and the 7-11.

Old
  (#36)
12squared
AzB Gold Member
12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

12-16-2008, 01:50 PM

Just to keep this thread alive...

I had the pleasure of watched Billy Incardona practice on a snooker table at the Rack in the early 70s. Wow! He was cutting the ball down the rail (about 2-3 diamonds away from the corner pocket) at very high speeds and making the shot most of the time. Also, I seem to remeber watching him make a cross corner bank on the same table 3 times in a row where the object ball was about 1/2 diamond from the corner pocket on the long rail. The amazing thing is, he hit it at warped speed and it looked as thought the object ball would get airborn to avoid the round part of the cushion in the opposite corner pocket and just fly into the pocket.

At least that's my memory of it. Billy, was I seeing things or did you do it as described?

Whatever, Billy was a trip to watch back then, he was solid as a rock at the table and deadly accurate.

Dave

Old
  (#37)
Gunn_Slinger
AzB Silver Member
Gunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 68

12-16-2008, 09:16 PM

a great rack story told to me by phil hubbard ( money man around beanie's place ) was about calhoun ( earl kellaher -- spell check.lol )
houn beat jew paul out of over 100k in a week in the 70's at the rack. he bought a new conversion van and drove it to the pool room every day from the hotel. he comes out 1 nite and cant find the van. the next day he shows up at the rack and phil says... did you find the van...naw says houn got tired of lookin ...bought a new one!!....that was the houn

Old
  (#38)
ugotactionTX
I'm in dead rack!
ugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4600

12-16-2008, 09:46 PM

come on guys... keep'em coming! I love hearing these kinds of stories

Old
  (#39)
JPB
AzB Silver Member
JPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond repute

12-16-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman
No, I heard about that one too though. This is one about his own genetalia.

He laid it out on the billiard table at the old Fun Center in Denver and allowed a guy to smack it with a billiard ball,,,,,,,for $10.00. My skin crawls thinking about that event.

The next day he was in there playing Fat Marty {Martin Kaman} one pocket.
I read this and almost had to go wash my hands. I know they recovered the table after the incident and before I ever played on it, and the table is now gone, but still. Pass the bleach please.

Request from Punter
Old
  (#40)
freddy the beard
Freddy Bentivegna
freddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond repute

Request from Punter - 12-17-2008, 06:57 AM

Got a PM request from Punter about confirmation of a Rack story. There was this ex-pug, Jimmy, that used to hang in the Rack. He was brutally obnoxious. He stuck his nose in everybody's business. Finally one of the mob guys ordered a hit, just to rid him out of the joint. He was an old man but he was pretty tough. He got grabbed, beaten to a pulp and thrown in a dumpster. Lo and behold. a few days later he shows back up like nothing happened. The mobsters gave up on him after that.
That's the same guy that Popcorn Miller had a problem with. Even after the dumpster incident this guy didn't slow his act down. He was interfering in Popcorn's game and the Corn warned him to stop. Jimmy paid no heed. The next day Corn came into the pool room with a cue ball in a sock. He went up to Jimmy and conked him with it. He still stayed a pest, but he at least stayed away from the Corn's games after that.
Philly's Joel Marx also took Jimmy outside and gave him a strumming.
I wasn't there for the dumpster incident, I just heard, so there is probably more to that story, but I did attend Popcorn and Joel's events.

the Beard

My DVD will be in my hands this week. (Banking With The Beard--The Movie)
Yes, I do tell old war stories on it.

Bank on, brother!

100s of pgs of pool goodness on my site
www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Old
  (#41)
punter
AzB Silver Member
punter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond repute

12-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy the beard
Got a PM request from Punter about confirmation of a Rack story. There was this ex-pug, Jimmy, that used to hang in the Rack. He was brutally obnoxious. He stuck his nose in everybody's business. Finally one of the mob guys ordered a hit, just to rid him out of the joint. He was an old man but he was pretty tough. He got grabbed, beaten to a pulp and thrown in a dumpster. Lo and behold. a few days later he shows back up like nothing happened. The mobsters gave up on him after that.
That's the same guy that Popcorn Miller had a problem with. Even after the dumpster incident this guy didn't slow his act down. He was interfering in Popcorn's game and the Corn warned him to stop. Jimmy paid no heed. The next day Corn came into the pool room with a cue ball in a sock. He went up to Jimmy and conked him with it. He still stayed a pest, but he at least stayed away from the Corn's games after that.
Philly's Joel Marx also took Jimmy outside and gave him a strumming.
I wasn't there for the dumpster incident, I just heard, so there is probably more to that story, but I did attend Popcorn and Joel's events.

the Beard

My DVD will be in my hands this week. (Banking With The Beard--The Movie)
Yes, I do tell old war stories on it.

Thanks Freddy. I searched for that story, but couldn't find it. The part I thought was funny was when Jimmy came back into The Rack, after getting out of the hospital, the first guy he encounters is the mob guy that ordered him roughed up, and he says something like, "You won't believe what happened to me."

Old
  (#42)
Dogsit4cash
AzB Bronze Member
Dogsit4cash has a reputation beyond reputeDogsit4cash has a reputation beyond reputeDogsit4cash has a reputation beyond reputeDogsit4cash has a reputation beyond reputeDogsit4cash has a reputation beyond reputeDogsit4cash has a reputation beyond reputeDogsit4cash has a reputation beyond reputeDogsit4cash has a reputation beyond reputeDogsit4cash has a reputation beyond reputeDogsit4cash has a reputation beyond reputeDogsit4cash has a reputation beyond repute

12-17-2008, 09:45 PM

Pittsburgh John.....seeing his name makes me smile. He was a cool cat, had a ton of heart, and loved pool. He was a friend of mine but he would bust my chops about wanting to hear some pool stories. In the end it was worth it......he did have some GREAT stories.

Old
  (#43)
SpiderWebComm
HelpImBeingOppressed
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

12-17-2008, 10:05 PM

I don't know the entire story, nor am I 100% I have his opponent right... but Hopkins said he played Jew Paul (I think, might be wrong) for $10000 / game 1P on the snooker table at The Rack. I'm not sure what the spot was, but I believe it was 10-7.

Well, Hoppy ran 10-and-out three times in a row to get the cash. If anyone knows the specifics, post them.

Viffer: The Movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JFIy2ebJIE

Old
  (#44)
Ed Wiggins
AzB Silver Member
Ed Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond repute

12-18-2008, 02:54 AM

Bill (Tex) (Calhoun) Kelleher is still around, by the way.
Don't know if he wants to be found, but someone in the Carolinas might get some stories from him.

EW

Old
  (#45)
ironman
AzB Silver Member
ironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond repute

12-18-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wiggins
Bill (Tex) (Calhoun) Kelleher is still around, by the way.
Don't know if he wants to be found, but someone in the Carolinas might get some stories from him.

EW
Bill Calhoun? There is a good one.
He was hanging around Redbird's place in San Marcos Tx 3-4 years ago and then just took off.

He could still play{ a little} but all one had to do was wait until he had about 4 drinks and right into the tank he went. He was trying to dump Redbird to everyone in Texas.

Page 3 of 20 123 4513 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: