Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page why everyone should learn one pocket
Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-05-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one stroke View Post
I have come to the conclusion that the game I hated is the one I love and I did myself a disservice not learning it till my mid 50s ,

The game has so many aspects to it that carry over to other games that will improve your play , banking for shape or leave , kicking for safe , holding the cue ball for shape,safe freezing on a ball or in a cluster , stroke speed

It is also easier to match up working a game with a better player to gives you a chance to win but also a chance to learn since its not a break n run contest you will get chances to play
Its a game of imagination its rewarding to see a shot a bank shot a carom off a ball or nipping a ball and going around the table to a safe

The game reminds me of golf once you hit some good shots you see the beauty of the game
Oh yeah. Well better late than never. It's a well rounded game of skill.

Karma is something you create!

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $3.99!"

The Acquiring Excellence In Pool Series
Acquiring Excellence in Pool-The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Google Robin E Kelly on Amazon!
Change your game for a couple of Bucks!

Acquire Excellence in Pool!

Old
  (#17)
moose man
AzB Silver Member
moose man has a reputation beyond reputemoose man has a reputation beyond reputemoose man has a reputation beyond reputemoose man has a reputation beyond reputemoose man has a reputation beyond reputemoose man has a reputation beyond reputemoose man has a reputation beyond reputemoose man has a reputation beyond reputemoose man has a reputation beyond reputemoose man has a reputation beyond reputemoose man has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-05-2018, 10:53 AM

One pocket is the goddamned Rolls Royce of pool games. That's what it is. I get tears in my eyes just thinking about it.

Old
  (#18)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

01-05-2018, 08:02 PM

lots of good replys here , one thing left out is once you got the bug the game that looks so boring becomes very interesting to watch when you know what your looking at or for

unlike other games where everything is pretty obvious there are so many choices the player has , its fun to sit back and try to figure out the next shot especially with a guy like T Rex who will go for the imagination shots to pocket balls or a lock down safe

The bottom line for me is while putting almost all my time in one pocket I had a pretty good run of nice finishes in tourney play in fact best in decades and I wasn't even playing those games at all only when I entered them

I credit it all to playing and watching this great game

Old
  (#19)
Black-Balled
Look!Everything'sSpinning
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
01-05-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose man View Post
One pocket is the goddamned Rolls Royce of pool games. That's what it is. I get tears in my eyes just thinking about it.
That is really beautiful, man.

Now you got me cryin, you big softy.

Two thirds from the top,
Another third for roads and cops.
Don't kid yourself that it's ever gonna stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
...he loves pool, but he lost his love for pool halfway through the one pocket...

Old
  (#20)
GoldCrown
Be Creative...play 1P

GoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond repute

01-05-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
That is really beautiful, man.

Now you got me cryin, you big softy.
Group hug time

Doc Frye

I need more Cues likes a snail needs air brakes

Old
  (#21)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

01-06-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one stroke View Post
I have come to the conclusion that the game I hated is the one I love and I did myself a disservice not learning it till my mid 50s ,

The game has so many aspects to it that carry over to other games that will improve your play , banking for shape or leave , kicking for safe , holding the cue ball for shape,safe freezing on a ball or in a cluster , stroke speed

It is also easier to match up working a game with a better player to gives you a chance to win but also a chance to learn since its not a break n run contest you will get chances to play
Its a game of imagination its rewarding to see a shot a bank shot a carom off a ball or nipping a ball and going around the table to a safe

The game reminds me of golf once you hit some good shots you see the beauty of the game
We have some players in here that have gotten hooked on 1-pocket after having only played 8-ball and 9-ball for their entire pool careers, and they absolutely love it. I have not seen those players do any better in our 9-ball tournaments they play in, as a result of their 1-pocket play.

My problem with 1-pocket as a 61 year old who has played mainly straight pool and 9-ball for 45 years, is that I only have about 10 hours a week to play pool, due to a busy schedule, as well as shoulder issues that prevent me from playing more. I just don't feel if I spend a majority of that 10 hours playing 1-pocket, which I would need to do for at least a few years to get decent at it, that I'd have any chance of keeping my 9-ball game up as best as I possibly can.

Old
  (#22)
Michael S
AzB Bronze Member
Michael S has a reputation beyond reputeMichael S has a reputation beyond reputeMichael S has a reputation beyond reputeMichael S has a reputation beyond reputeMichael S has a reputation beyond reputeMichael S has a reputation beyond reputeMichael S has a reputation beyond reputeMichael S has a reputation beyond reputeMichael S has a reputation beyond reputeMichael S has a reputation beyond reputeMichael S has a reputation beyond repute

01-06-2018, 07:39 AM

I've always thought One Pocket is the game that tests ALL of your skills. 1P forces you to really think what to do and what your opponent may do. Very analogous to chess! You think of a "move" and try to determine how your opponent would respond.

Old
  (#23)
BmoreMoney
AzB Silver Member
BmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond repute

01-06-2018, 10:49 AM

Everyone should learn to play one pocket... Because we need some new fish in the one hole pool. If there's a bunch of yall that wanna learn the game there's gonna be plenty of us that already play it and I'm sure many will be willing to give " lessons " lol. Its really not all that hard like some male it out to be, you need only 3 things. Money, time and your cue. Worst case scenario, we can make it happen with only one of those 😊

Old
  (#24)
GoldCrown
Be Creative...play 1P

GoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond repute

01-06-2018, 03:39 PM

I can give a few reasons not to learn 1p. It ruins relationships and marriages. My wife asked if I Love 1p more than her. I choked and took the 5th.
By learning and playing you will not want to do other things. It ruins your house. Iíd rather play 1 than do house repairs. Ruins the lawn. Cut the grass or play 1p... tough choice.

Doc Frye

I need more Cues likes a snail needs air brakes

Old
  (#25)
Mkbtank
AzB Silver Member
Mkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond reputeMkbtank has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-06-2018, 03:59 PM

I played 9 ball for years and swore I would never play onepocket. Now itís my favorite game by a long way. I agree it combines all other games. Even 3c with touch and cue ball control. Funny thing is a game can look soo differently depending on if the person watching knows the game. To me thereís absolute tension during a 1p battle but the guy next to me may think itís like watching paint dry. Iím just glad I know better .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory in DC View Post

I'm afraid that you're too laid back for my online enemy. You'll have to get a lot jerkier or I'll have to keep looking elsewhere.

Old
  (#26)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

01-06-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
Mark...You should do yourself a favor and take a one pocket lesson from Bossman69 (Lance Cowles). Lance is a great player, and even better one pocket instructor! He has a way of demonstrating the subtle nuances of one pocket that few possess, plus excellent communication skills. He'll be with me at the DCC, and then again at the SBE. You could likely catch a couple hours with him there. I guarantee you'll love it...or I'll pay for the lesson! LOL

Same goes for you Frank. I know you love working with Tom, who is great.Can't hurt to get perhaps a little different perspective from a newer set of eyes! Lance is the real deal.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
I just might do that Scott , one drill of yours the speed control ,works well for one pocket .even when I cant play much I spend some time on it at home with also trying for no elbow drop , it , those 2 things keep me competitive even after a long layoff

Old
  (#27)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member

01-06-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreMoney View Post
Everyone should learn to play one pocket... Because we need some new fish in the one hole pool. If there's a bunch of yall that wanna learn the game there's gonna be plenty of us that already play it and I'm sure many will be willing to give " lessons " lol. Its really not all that hard like some male it out to be, you need only 3 things. Money, time and your cue. Worst case scenario, we can make it happen with only one of those 😊
I had no problem being Reggie's fish for the better part of a yr for 5 a game playing even ,,Tom Tom said it was me that I was stealing all in all I lost 3-4 hundred over that time god knows how many hours we played it was worth every red cent , in fact I just called him to see how he is doing , he is a top hat looking to give someone a hair cut

The fact is I couldn't have learned what I have in several hours of lessons
and playing with lower level players even though I can hang with or beat really doesn't teach you a whole lot cause the penalty of missing is rarely loss of game

Playing with a guy like Reggie where the cost is cheap and its rare most with his ability isn't getting off the chair for 5 so yep I'm a fish and what I learned being that is pricless

Old
  (#28)
Black-Balled
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

01-06-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCrown View Post
Group hug time
Circle jerk in break rak thread, pal.

Two thirds from the top,

Quote:
...he loves pool, but he lost his love for pool halfway through the one pocket...

Old
  (#29)
Black-Balled

01-06-2018, 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=BmoreMoney;6056986... you need only 3 things. Money, time and your cue. Worst case scenario, we can make it happen with only one of those 😊[/QUOTE]

I dont know wtf you people are to up there in b'more, but in dc, you gotta have 2 of 3.

Two thirds from the top,

Quote:

Old
  (#30)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member
alphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond repute

01-06-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
I dont know wtf you people are to up there in b'more, but in dc, you gotta have 2 of 3.
More guns in baltimore

And stop recruiting circle jerkers.

A bull without horns is still dangerous.

Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: