Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Random Question
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member
alphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-11-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiev View Post
My point Alphadog is that I can use a $600 Nova or $1000 Jim Buss and then use a $2500 Southwest and don't see a difference. That's all I was getting at.
Thanks to the majority for their responses
Hey you even answered your own question?

You can buy a Nova for 600,and then play with it.

You cant buy the others for 600. If you have 2500 you can buy any of the cues or even 2 of the cues.

Now if you cant tell any differance buy the Southwest and sell it for 1000. Buy the Buss try it ,if you dont like it,sell it for 600 and buy the Nova.

A bull without horns is still dangerous.

Old
  (#32)
Rico
AzB Silver Member

Rico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond repute

Talking 01-11-2018, 12:03 PM

Just to settle this i will drive your altima 6 months then your BMW 6 months .Then ill play with your nova 6 months then your SW. I will then give my opinion drive my Fiero(v-8) to play with my R-2 schon.

Old
  (#33)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member
alphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
Just to settle this i will drive your altima 6 months then your BMW 6 months .Then ill play with your nova 6 months then your SW. I will then give my opinion drive my Fiero(v-8) to play with my R-2 schon.
Mr. Suave where do I sign up for this once in a lifetime oppurtunity?

A bull without horns is still dangerous.

Old
  (#34)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
01-11-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Hey you even answered your own question?

You can buy a Nova for 600,and then play with it.

You cant buy the others for 600. If you have 2500 you can buy any of the cues or even 2 of the cues.

Now if you cant tell any differance buy the Southwest and sell it for 1000. Buy the Buss try it ,if you dont like it,sell it for 600 and buy the Nova.
I'd actually take the buss, of those 3...money be damned!

You should have a shot at the cash, especially if we don't get any top pros participating.
Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
...he loves pool, but he lost his love for pool halfway through the one pocket...

Old
  (#35)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
01-11-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Mr. Suave where do I sign up for this once in a lifetime oppurtunity?
Wait a minute...

You should have a shot at the cash, especially if we don't get any top pros participating.
Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
...he loves pool, but he lost his love for pool halfway through the one pocket...

Old
  (#36)
cuesblues
cue accumulator

cuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

01-11-2018, 06:37 PM

Rarity, seasoned wood, quality control, taper, A&B
joint construction as well as overall construction methonds, fit & finish, engineering methods,
application of the negative space ratio, resale value, and collectibility.

player......Josswest, James White, South West, TS
player.......Kersenbrock, Bluegrass, Judd, Klein
breaker....Hillbily Smacker
jumper.....see breaker
shooter....Sig Sauer P226 357
cutter.......Spyderco-Massad Ayoob

Old
  (#37)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haystj View Post
In some cases,,,, not very long.
your focusing like many only on actual "cut/shaping time" forgetting about storage, curing of wood, EQUIPMENT SET UP, sharpening of tools, wait time b/t passes etc.

setting the equipment just to begin wether i'm on a lathe, or even on my chainsaw mill takes much longer than the actual cutting and shaping does....

lets not forget about the time it takes to perform safety checks from time to time during said work.

unless your using lots of precious metals/gemstones and ivory.....the material is the cheapest least costly if you ask me......well unless if your buying everything premade and assembling then sure thats pricey off the get go.

rregardless of how you recieve materials as a maker (premade or just plain lumber) making a quality cue takes a very long time all work start to finish.

Storing of the wood is actually probably the most costly, it takes up alot of space.....and of course you cant just keep the stuff outside generally speaking.

Old
  (#38)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2018, 08:18 AM

The value of things can be determined in a very subjective manner......for instance...
-----------------------------------------------------
The current monetary worth placed of the basic “elements” in an individual human body is $4.50: $3.50 for the skin and the remainder of the worth assigned in the aggregate to the major elements — $1.00. Almost 100 years have passed and the difference is only 16 cents from Dr. Charlie's long ago calculation!Jan 14, 2010
-----------------------------------------------------------
The cost of the materials in the Mona Lisa would be very low....
...so those who look at things like that....play outta the rack...
...and leave the Szambotis for me

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

https://www.facebook.com/skriptik/?ref=page_internal POOL PENS

Old
  (#39)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-13-2018, 08:51 AM

the short answer is supply and demand.

the longer answer would go into the reasons that explain supply and demand for certain cues such as quality, craftsmanship, materials, playability, availability, rarity, reputation, etc.

best,
brian kc

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Old
  (#40)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
If you have to ask you wont understand-if you dont understand you have to ask,understand?
I might have to ask Justin, he'll understand!

Old
  (#41)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealegs50 View Post
The law of supply and demand.
now that i read the thread i see you beat me by 3 days.

Old
  (#42)
qbilder
slower than snails
qbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
What makes a cue so expensive?
Say a Scruggs, a Gilbert, a Southwest etc.
The shop building and equipment have a cost, as does the monthly utility and maintenance to keep them operating. Materials cost. When you buy a cue, you don't think of paper towels, rubber gloves, air filters, adhesives, hardware, etc. You think more along the lines of wood, and that's about where it stops. The reality is that there are many, many more costs than wood. Then you must factor time. How much per hour can you live on? Per week? Per month? A cue maker has to survive just like you do. If he's only making one cue per month, he needs twice as much as the guy making two per month in order to live the same lifestyle. He needs a whole lot more than the factory punching cues out on an assembly line. Lucky for us, there's a market to support all levels.

I don't check PM's, please email me instead: sugartreecue@gmail.com

Old
  (#43)
ceebee
AzB Silver Member
ceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Skype™ to ceebee 
01-13-2018, 10:46 AM

Supposedly quality & demand. But with lots (& I mean lots & lots) of supply available, maybe some are higher than we'd like to pay.

But we didn't buy the lathe, the wood, the glue & or the supplies for the finish. And we didn't spend 5 to 10 years learning how to do it.

Look at the cues available on AZB... at one time, someone felt like the cue was a Magic Wand. Did the magic go away or did someone sell a Magic Wand for a few dollars.... too bad.

If a particular cue is more than you can afford, save your money.

ceebee
USMC- Ret.
www.breakrak.com
918-543-6600
SKYPE charley.bond.inola
Every game Starts with the Break Shot

Old
  (#44)
Brookeland Bill
Banned
Brookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
What makes a cue so expensive?
Say a Scruggs, a Gilbert, a Southwest etc.
One you reach a certain quality the rest is cosmetics, marketing and demand. I know many players that can whoop your butt with a house cue.

Old
  (#45)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado

01-17-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookeland Bill View Post
One you reach a certain quality the rest is cosmetics, marketing and demand. I know many players that can whoop your butt with a house cue.
look what efren did when he first came to the US with his $20 cue.

Just imagine how much better he could have done with a g-note cue.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: