Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page The History of Cue Cases?
Page 3 of 7 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#31)
CocoboloCowboy
AzB Silver Member
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

09-22-2010, 08:12 PM

Here are two better Photos of the Reproduction Hustler Cases!
Attached Images

Old
  (#32)
hangemhigh
Known Sinner
hangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 17500

09-22-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cases View Post
I guess that works well because there isn't really any other way to do them. The leather has to be essentially massaged into place. We use a few tools to help but the work is all done by one person, one case, with each one being a unique exercise.

Sam definitely chose the hardest method to finish the ends.
Back in the 80's Bill McDaniel was making the "Kelli" tube style cases with the hand finished ends and the same lock as Fellini. At that time Schon was making an almost identical case too, down to the hand finished ends and the Fellini lock.

HOME SWEET HOME..need a dose of my hardtail poontang sweetheart

Old
  (#33)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
09-23-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangemhigh View Post
Back in the 80's Bill McDaniel was making the "Kelli" tube style cases with the hand finished ends and the same lock as Fellini. At that time Schon was making an almost identical case too, down to the hand finished ends and the Fellini lock.
So I heard. The thing is that I don't have a single picture of a case that I can identify as a Kelli case. I only have one image where it's titled Engles and Kelli cases and the cases are all the same in appearance with no indication as to which is which.

Didn't Sam sort of inherit or take over the case making from Bill? This kind of fits in with Runscott's request to have a little more information as to case maker associations.

I heard for example that Ron Thomas worked with It's George for a couple weeks and then went off to make cases on his own. Ron says he never worked FOR it's George so who knows? The first Thomas cases were very similar to It's George and then later Ron switched to something of a Centennial/George/Fellini hybrid.

I also have no picture of a Schon case. I have seen a few unidentified cases which people have said is a Schon case. Did they label the cases in any way?

People talk about knockoffs and they rarely say anything about the whole Harvey Martin/Gina/Fellini family of cases. I'd say that this style is the most emulated by small case makers over all others when you figure in all the brands that have done it,

Let's see, after Martin we have Gina, Viking, Adam, Fellini, Centennial, Ann Gore/Manx, It's George, Schon, Kelli, McDermott, Ron Thomas and GTF.

Did I miss any?

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

History of cases
Old
  (#34)
cyrex
Moaalii Leathers
cyrex has a reputation beyond reputecyrex has a reputation beyond reputecyrex has a reputation beyond reputecyrex has a reputation beyond reputecyrex has a reputation beyond reputecyrex has a reputation beyond reputecyrex has a reputation beyond reputecyrex has a reputation beyond reputecyrex has a reputation beyond reputecyrex has a reputation beyond reputecyrex has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10000

History of cases - 09-23-2010, 04:52 AM

Wonderful post John! I appreciate you taking the time to save all this history and for taking the time to write it out. I'm especially interested in Ann Gore's work since she was supposed to be from my area.

Just need more pictures! Love seeing the classic cases and their evolution. Or retro~reinvention.

Thank you!

"Whatever you are, be a good one" ~Abraham Lincoln

Check out Moaalii Leathers here:
Moaalii.Com

or on Facebook:
Moaalii Leathers on Facebook

Old
  (#35)
thepavlos
AzB Gold Member
thepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2425

09-23-2010, 06:25 AM

A friend has a Kelli case where KELLI is engraved on the lock

"Make up your mind and do what I tell you" - My Father

Brain: Are you naturally that stupid Pinky?
Pinky: Oh no Brain, I practice, all day ... all night

RESULTS NOT TYPICAL... INDIVIDUAL RESULTS MAY VARY

Old
  (#36)
hangemhigh
Known Sinner
hangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond reputehangemhigh has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 17500

09-23-2010, 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=JB Cases;2624332]. The thing is that I don't have a single picture of a case that I can identify as a Kelli case. I only have one image where it's titled Engles and Kelli cases and the cases are all the same in appearance with no indication as to which is which.

The Kelli case was smaller, no label, and sometimes a Gorton pantographed logo on the lock. The cue and shafts fit tight with no rattle, you could not get a cue in a Kelli with the joint and tips up. That was Sam's original design change from the other tube style cases, the ability to put the butt in with the joint and shaft tips in the upright position.

I also have no picture of a Schon case. I have seen a few unidentified cases which people have said is a Schon case. Did they label the cases in any way?

No labels I ever saw, but the cases from Schon are bigger than a Fellini and a tad bit smaller than an Engles. They will always have a Fellini style lock. There are several subtle design differences between a Schon and a Fellini that make identification fairly easy.

The Kelli case was made in Bill's shop by employees, mainly a Swedish woman named Evore.

HOME SWEET HOME..need a dose of my hardtail poontang sweetheart

Last edited by hangemhigh; 09-23-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Old
  (#37)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

09-23-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrex View Post
Wonderful post John! I appreciate you taking the time to save all this history and for taking the time to write it out. I'm especially interested in Ann Gore's work since she was supposed to be from my area.

Just need more pictures! Love seeing the classic cases and their evolution. Or retro~reinvention.

Thank you!
This shows an Ann Gore suede case on far left, the rest are Fellini's. Also, there is a close up of the label she used for awhile.

After Fellini closed (she worked there) , Ann made some cases with just a glued on label like this, so they were easily removed or fell off. I've seen a few that had no label. Some of them said Ann Gore and some said "Manx". She used the Fellini shell and sometimes the Fellini locks. This case had a latch style lock.

The shell, leather work, and interiors are identical to Fellini's. These cases now belong to another member on AZ who has a wonderful case collection.

Chris
Attached Images

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 09-23-2010 at 09:35 AM.

Old
  (#38)
rayjay
some of the kids
rayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1225

09-23-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cases View Post
From 1994 - 2000 a few case makers have come and gone, one being Jim Knott from California. Jim had a partnership with a local leather worker wherein Jim designed the cases and the leather worker built them. This worked out great until the leather worker upped his prices and Jim couldn't compete.
Thanks for the information on Jim Knott. This is the first I have heard about him. Several years ago, I bought one of his cases on this forum from azb member Von Rhett, and continue to use it daily. It has held up very well, although Von said he had a new latch put on some time back. I haven't had to do any maintainance to it. The case is in the Flowers/Swift tradition of tooled leather and gets compliments all the time. I also still have one of your older Instroke black/brown leather 3x6/7 cases with zippered pockets that belonged to a now deceased trick shot artist named Chet (I forget his last name right now, have it written somewhere), that you gave to him as a gift, and we emailed back and forth briefly about it. This is a great case. One of these days I will photograph the cases and put them up in the gallery. Thanks for all this good information, John.

Old
  (#39)
CocoboloCowboy
AzB Silver Member
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

09-23-2010, 10:06 AM

Member Tate has a very good link on his web-site about Cases!

Old
  (#40)
ibuycues
I Love Box Cues
ibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2010, 10:21 AM

Thanks John,

Also all the contributors to this thread. Even for those of us that already "knew" most of this stuff, it is good to have it in one spot, and read it all at once.

Much appreciated!

Will Prout

Old
  (#41)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
09-23-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuycues View Post
Thanks John,

Also all the contributors to this thread. Even for those of us that already "knew" most of this stuff, it is good to have it in one spot, and read it all at once.

Much appreciated!

Will Prout
My pleasure Will. And I hope that the thread is contributed to by more people because the one thing I keep finding out is how much I don't know.

Thank you to everyone who is helping to fill in the gaps.

Old
  (#42)
sengkun108
sengkun108
sengkun108 has a reputation beyond reputesengkun108 has a reputation beyond reputesengkun108 has a reputation beyond reputesengkun108 has a reputation beyond reputesengkun108 has a reputation beyond reputesengkun108 has a reputation beyond reputesengkun108 has a reputation beyond reputesengkun108 has a reputation beyond reputesengkun108 has a reputation beyond reputesengkun108 has a reputation beyond reputesengkun108 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-24-2010, 06:21 PM

What a great thread.....I hope many case maker can make some post in this thread. I believe many of us will gain a lot of benefit from them.

Old
  (#43)
ibuycues
I Love Box Cues
ibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond repute

09-25-2010, 02:22 PM

Let's see, after Martin we have Gina, Viking, Adam, Fellini, Centennial, Ann Gore/Manx, It's George, Schon, Kelli, McDermott, Ron Thomas and GTF.

Did I miss any?[/QUOTE]

John,

To your list, a couple of obvious ones that have been talked about. Just mentioning so the list stays complete. Others can add on also:

Sam Engles
Jim Knott

Thanks.

Will Prout

Chas Clements
Old
  (#44)
bob c
In the Eye of the Storm
bob c has a reputation beyond reputebob c has a reputation beyond reputebob c has a reputation beyond reputebob c has a reputation beyond reputebob c has a reputation beyond reputebob c has a reputation beyond reputebob c has a reputation beyond reputebob c has a reputation beyond reputebob c has a reputation beyond reputebob c has a reputation beyond reputebob c has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Chas Clements - 09-25-2010, 07:16 PM

John, do have an idea of how many cue cases Chas made before being unable to continue working?

Old
  (#45)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

09-25-2010, 09:58 PM

Chris...Something to note about the Brunswick cases. Yours had a snap closure...mine had a buckle. When I got my Balabushka (purchased from George in Oct. 75, 3 months before his death), it came with a Brunswick case. At the time I didn't know they even came with snaps...only buckles.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE View Post
Nice job on this, John.

I would like to add something about the fly rod and cue case connection.

The picture below shows a fly rod case (left side) made in the 1930's and branded "Lyon and Coulson, Buffalo, New York", a sporting goods supplier. This is the case I believe was adapted by Brunswick in the 1940's to use for cues. The case has a flip tip lid with straps. It's hard to see it in pictures, but the case also has a tooled design. Brunswick offered a "Deluxe" case in the 1950's which was used in the movie "The Hustler" with a nearly identical tooling pattern. This case also features a strap and handle configuration later used by Jay Flowers and is still used on many cue cases.

The case to the far right is my Jack Justis daily playing case from the mid 1990's.

Chris

PBIA Master Instructor

Page 3 of 7 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: