Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page The History of Cue Cases?
Reply
Page 4 of 9 « First 234 56 Last »
 
Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#46)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute
 
TATE's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 12,178
vCash: 4100
iTrader: 53 / 100%
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: California Central Coast
   
09-25-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
Chris...Something to note about the Brunswick cases. Yours had a snap closure...mine had a buckle. When I got my Balabushka (purchased from George in Oct. 75, 3 months before his death), it came with a Brunswick case. At the time I didn't know they even came with snaps...only buckles.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
Scott,

Most of them do have the belt - I have no clue how I came across this one with the snap, but it's original. In fact, it basically doesn't look like it was ever used. It has the 1960's Brunswick logo with the "crown". I didn't even know Brunswick made cases into the 1970's. George also used Palmer cases and gave those with his cues for many years.

Check this out. During the 1950's and into the 1960's, Brunswick made two different styles of cases, 1) the Expert, which is a little thicker and has some padding and a luggage style handle, and the more common one 2) the Aristocrat. This is from the 1952 catalog.

http://www.palmercollector.com/Bruns...52_page_13.jpg

I wish you still had every old cue you owned. I now have 4 or 5 Eddie Laube's that you introduced me to. They're pretty cool cues.

Chris


Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 09-25-2010 at 10:41 PM.
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#47)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 15,545
vCash: 4100
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Now living in Largo FL
   
09-25-2010, 11:14 PM

Chris...I remember that Eddie Laube cue well. I got it off a pool player in El Paso TX in 1975 for $100. The cue was unique (it was the first quality cue I had seen with the screw in the shaft, rather than the butt), and since I was from Chicago, I made a stop in to Eddie's shop the next time I was in Chicago. He was still there, but was planning to shut the shop down within a few months. He was quite proud of his 'patented joint design', and told me that the joints were machined so well, that any shaft he ever made would match up perfectly with any butt he ever made. He never would tell me what the material was, on the shaft, above the screw...but the ferrule was buckhorn, something else I had not seen before on a cue. I loved collecting cues for many years, but as I sold them off, they drifted into my own history. Thanks for your help with a couple of the last ones!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE View Post
Scott,

I wish you still had every old cue you owned. I now have 4 or 5 Eddie Laube's that you introduced me to. They're pretty cool cues.

Chris


PBIA Master Instructor
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#48)
half fast bankr
Purist / Traditionalist
half fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond repute
 
half fast bankr's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,693
vCash: 500
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: All over the MidWest
   
10-08-2010, 01:59 AM

John, great posts. This should be uploaded to wiki or something!

Also, I'd love to know how you guys get your ends so nice. Honestly, they look folded then tucked under the centerpiece (like 2 right angles). Your leathers also have that more plush look, which surely settles better than 'regular' full corner wrapped cases. The closest thing I could tie your leather too would be Whittens nice hides, yet yours still appear more plush. Both of which are nothing like what Bob H typically used (nearly stiff linoleum sheets). Suede or any other 'haired hide' was probably the only material that hid seems at the end better for him. And anything with a pattern at all only served to further reveal the gaps.

I'm still hand cutting and 'massaging' as you put it. I don't skiv, but once in a while you get a few tabs that just don't cooperate, so I might try that here and there.

Lastly, I only skimmed this thread, but I didn't catch any mention of either the envelope style or the early hinged box type cases... I'd have to guess the envelope also came from fishing, and the box type possibly from musical instrument cases. Both of these were some biggies before any tubes showed up.


Please do not PM me. I am a very unorganized person, and trying to figure out what random PM's have to do with the price of beer in China is a waste of my time. Thank you for your help

SERIOUSLY, EMAIL ME AT THE LINK BELOW AS MY PM BOX IS ALWAYS FULL.


ALWAYS looking for Coster's, real DPK's & Petersen's!
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#49)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute
 
JB Cases's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 27,727
vCash: 5700
iTrader: 129 / 100%
Blog Entries: 11
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
10-08-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half fast bankr View Post
John, great posts. This should be uploaded to wiki or something!

Also, I'd love to know how you guys get your ends so nice. Honestly, they look folded then tucked under the centerpiece (like 2 right angles). Your leathers also have that more plush look, which surely settles better than 'regular' full corner wrapped cases. The closest thing I could tie your leather too would be Whittens nice hides, yet yours still appear more plush. Both of which are nothing like what Bob H typically used (nearly stiff linoleum sheets). Suede or any other 'haired hide' was probably the only material that hid seems at the end better for him. And anything with a pattern at all only served to further reveal the gaps.

I'm still hand cutting and 'massaging' as you put it. I don't skiv, but once in a while you get a few tabs that just don't cooperate, so I might try that here and there.

Lastly, I only skimmed this thread, but I didn't catch any mention of either the envelope style or the early hinged box type cases... I'd have to guess the envelope also came from fishing, and the box type possibly from musical instrument cases. Both of these were some biggies before any tubes showed up.
For the purpose of the thread when I started it I confined it to top-loading tubular cases using plastic tubes. There is definitely a lot more history of cue cases and also containers in general to be explored.

As for the hand-finished ends (seems like the best term) - I think that it's essential to skive the leather when using stiffer types of leather. I can only see issues happening with trying to bend leather around curves and expect it to stay in place with glue only with such a small surface area. We use all types of leather from veg tan to chrome-tanned prints and find that we have to use slightly different methods for each. Ostrich for example is mushy like clay and surprisingly difficult to get to stay in place without distortion.

We did make a template that we use to cut the tabs on the ends and that helps a lot. But the leather doesn't always lay down right even with the template cuts so we have to do quite a bit of hand-fitting and trimming to make it settle correctly. The ends of the tabs are folded into the center recess and the centerpiece is then wedged in place to keep the leather from moving. it seems as if this technique works so far as we haven't had any situations in the past three years where the tabs have come up or split.

I have had some thicker veg tan shrink and cause the leather to separate and we have found that skiving/sanding to reduce the thickness solves this.

I haven't seen a lot of Fellinis but the one I have is made from a piece of impressed split leather which is generally stiffer than the full grain chrome tan. We use the same on some cases but as I said we tend to sand the ends to make them more pliable. I have seen many Fellinis where the ends have survived intact as near to perfect as one could want. Mine is in pretty good shape.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#50)
half fast bankr
Purist / Traditionalist
half fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond reputehalf fast bankr has a reputation beyond repute
 
half fast bankr's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,693
vCash: 500
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: All over the MidWest
   
10-09-2010, 02:40 AM

Me: "Lastly, I only skimmed this thread, but I didn't catch any mention of either the envelope style or the early hinged box type cases... I'd have to guess the envelope also came from fishing, and the box type possibly from musical instrument cases. Both of these were some biggies before any tubes showed up."

JB: "For the purpose of the thread when I started it I confined it to top-loading tubular cases using plastic tubes. There is definitely a lot more history of cue cases and also containers in general to be explored."

John, my above statement was not directed at you, merely an observation about the entire thread and all it's contributions.


Please do not PM me. I am a very unorganized person, and trying to figure out what random PM's have to do with the price of beer in China is a waste of my time. Thank you for your help

SERIOUSLY, EMAIL ME AT THE LINK BELOW AS MY PM BOX IS ALWAYS FULL.


ALWAYS looking for Coster's, real DPK's & Petersen's!
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#51)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute
 
JB Cases's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 27,727
vCash: 5700
iTrader: 129 / 100%
Blog Entries: 11
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
10-10-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half fast bankr View Post
Me: "Lastly, I only skimmed this thread, but I didn't catch any mention of either the envelope style or the early hinged box type cases... I'd have to guess the envelope also came from fishing, and the box type possibly from musical instrument cases. Both of these were some biggies before any tubes showed up."

JB: "For the purpose of the thread when I started it I confined it to top-loading tubular cases using plastic tubes. There is definitely a lot more history of cue cases and also containers in general to be explored."

John, my above statement was not directed at you, merely an observation about the entire thread and all it's contributions.
Sure. In fact I'd like to invite everyone to upload anything that they have with as much information as they have on cue cases.

What's the Q-Ster? King Kustoms from Memphis? How about McKernann?

Has anyone here ever seen a picture of a Jim Knott case? Jim Walker?

Or even the Gina case I spoke of?

I wish I could get more pictures of the cases I made the first two years. I lost an entire album of all those cases and another album with the handwritten orders. :-(

So AZ feel free to share your stories of case makers you know about.
  
Reply With Quote
History of Cue Cases
Old
  (#52)
steveinflorida
senior member
steveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond repute
 
steveinflorida's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2007
   
History of Cue Cases - 10-10-2010, 10:21 AM

John, Thank you so much for your kind words. Steve





STEVE PRICE
Case Maker

Ph. 727 442 0075
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#53)
classiccues
Enlightened.....
classiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond repute
 
classiccues's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 13,161
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 57 / 100%
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ
   
10-10-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE View Post
Scott,

Most of them do have the belt - I have no clue how I came across this one with the snap, but it's original. In fact, it basically doesn't look like it was ever used. It has the 1960's Brunswick logo with the "crown". I didn't even know Brunswick made cases into the 1970's. George also used Palmer cases and gave those with his cues for many years.

Check this out. During the 1950's and into the 1960's, Brunswick made two different styles of cases, 1) the Expert, which is a little thicker and has some padding and a luggage style handle, and the more common one 2) the Aristocrat. This is from the 1952 catalog.

http://www.palmercollector.com/Bruns...52_page_13.jpg

I wish you still had every old cue you owned. I now have 4 or 5 Eddie Laube's that you introduced me to. They're pretty cool cues.

Chris
I have a leather Brunswick Crown case with a handle that is set into brass ends. Kind of spring loaded, or just very tight. When it's not in use the handle stays flat, it takes a little pressure to get it out of the brass ends.

JV


www.classiccues.com
New site ONLINE.......

Updated 2/2/18


Burton Spain and Craig Petersen

Premium Custom Cues for Sale and Vintage Billiard and Pool Exchange on Facebook....
  
Reply With Quote
Jim Knott case
Old
  (#54)
rayjay
some of the kids
rayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond repute
 
rayjay's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 4,003
vCash: 1225
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2004
   
Jim Knott case - 10-12-2010, 11:30 AM

Jim Knott case
Attached Images
   
  
Reply With Quote
Thanks!
Old
  (#55)
JoshStodola
My stroke is garbage
JoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond repute
 
JoshStodola's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
   
Thanks! - 04-16-2013, 10:39 AM

I just came across this post and thoroughly enjoyed it. To the top


Josh Stodola
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#56)
runscott
AzB Silver Member
runscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond repute
 
runscott's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
iTrader: 22 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NW of you
   
09-14-2017, 07:27 PM

I recently acquired a few vintage and 'vintage look' cases, and came across this thread while searching for more information. Weird that it was in response to a question I asked John, but somehow I don't think I ever read it!

Anyway, still a great thread - thanks John.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#57)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute
 
Chopdoc's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 16,655
vCash: 500
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Palm Coast, Fl
   
09-14-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runscott View Post
I recently acquired a few vintage and 'vintage look' cases, and came across this thread while searching for more information. Weird that it was in response to a question I asked John, but somehow I don't think I ever read it!

Anyway, still a great thread - thanks John.
It is an excellent thread and I have visited it many times.

John has a wealth of information to offer as well as perspectives and opinions on case design and engineering as well as case history as is evident here.

I am as much a case collector as I am a cue collector and I am very interested in the history. It is one of my motivations in collecting.
.


Bury me with my JOSS....


"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#58)
runscott
AzB Silver Member
runscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond repute
 
runscott's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
iTrader: 22 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NW of you
   
09-14-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
It is an excellent thread and I have visited it many times.

John has a wealth of information to offer as well as perspectives and opinions on case design and engineering as well as case history as is evident here.

I am as much a case collector as I am a cue collector and I am very interested in the history. It is one of my motivations in collecting.
.
I am not a case collector, but after you have had a few great cases it is hard to go back to crappy ones. I have been using an Instroke 'Nature' for 14 years, but would like a 2-butt case that will hold fatter butt cues. I tried a few 2x4 George cases, but the insert/extraction process was a pain in the butt <==see what I did there? I am looking forward to a new one that is arriving Saturday
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#59)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute
 
WildWing's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,140
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Nov 2011
   
09-14-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
It is an excellent thread and I have visited it many times.

John has a wealth of information to offer as well as perspectives and opinions on case design and engineering as well as case history as is evident here.

I am as much a case collector as I am a cue collector and I am very interested in the history. It is one of my motivations in collecting.
.
Absolutely, it is a great thread, and I'm a bit of a case collector myself. Big surprise, I know. Fellinis, Justis, Instroke, Whitten, and others.

I'll add one thing. The original thread focused on hard tube style cases, and I know this departs from the theme, but I think the suitcase style case deserves a bit of recognition. They're pretty recognizable, Palmer, McDermott, and Schmelke had or have their variants. I happen to think the O'Neill cases were the best of that bunch, just an opinion. Willie Mosconi carried Palmer suitcases for years. How can you argue with that? Anyhow, just an example of nice O'Neills: Makes you want to fix a martini.

All the best,
WW
Attached Images
  
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#60)
Type79
AzB Gold Member
Type79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Type79's Avatar
 
Status: Online
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northeast USA
   
09-15-2017, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWing View Post
I'll add one thing. The original thread focused on hard tube style cases, and I know this departs from the theme, but I think the suitcase style case deserves a bit of recognition. They're pretty recognizable, Palmer, McDermott, and Schmelke had or have their variants. I happen to think the O'Neill cases were the best of that bunch, just an opinion. Willie Mosconi carried Palmer suitcases for years. How can you argue with that? Anyhow, just an example of nice O'Neills: Makes you want to fix a martini.

All the best,
WW
I agree 100%. No one made a box case of the same quality, fit, and finish of an O'Neil which is why they are my choice for cue storage.

Mark even made me several cases with special configurations and one with a white interior.


Jay Fishbein

On Facebook - Palmer Cues - Original By Palmer
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1412351735677519/
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 4 of 9 « First 234 56 Last »

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.