So I Got Banned From FB's "Let's Talk About Pool."

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I, too, was banned from "Let's Talk About Pool". Why? I wasn't sure at first, but it was eventually explained to me why I didn’t belong there.

The Saturday evening when The US Open 9-Ball was winding down, I was watching my paid stream and browsing Facebook. To my surprise, someone was rebroadcasting the stream via Facebook Live in Let's Talk About Pool. I thought that was garbage, and it had been streaming for almost an hour. Sorry to be "that guy", but that’s BS to me that AccuStats goes through all of this work to produce the event and then someone redistributes it for such a large audience. I reported the thread and messaged the group creator.

I went back to the group awhile later to see if it had been removed. I couldn't even find the group. I actually thought that maybe reporting the thread got the group shut down for copyright violations. Nope… I was banned. At that point, I had no idea why. It even said in the rules on the pinned post that posting links to paid streams was against the rules.

View attachment 490230

A couple months passed. A friend of mine sent me a screenshot where the group creator shared how many people were banned from the page. Given the trivial and asinine reasons I've seen when people are banned, I wasn’t even be surprised that this number was well over 3,000. Since he was so open to second (even third!) chances, I thought I'd message the group creator again and find out just why exactly I was banned.

View attachment 490231

Very pretentious. Very elementary. I’m even more annoyed by this now that I think about it again.
I wish I knew which FB pool group and which moderator this is, I think know and I've noticed him "struttin his authority". Is he the guy not in the USofA? You can pm me if you like!

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Damion Turchetto is an administrator there and he is one that likes to Facebook Live paid streams to show to others for free. And then he commentates and acts like he is the Al Michaels of pool.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Felt pretty good too.

There was a discussion about whether or not the calcutta winner should tip the winning player and it was a decent discussion as far as I could tell. Well until one of the Administrator's decided to chime in with his opinion. Once his opinion was questioned, he apparently got "personally offended" and banned that poster and later he explained that this was his test for who should be allowed to stick around.

I had the audacity to question this and they managed to ban me before I could leave the group. So they did win that battle.

Anyway, AZ is a WAY better place to actually exchange ideas about pool than is FB. So I come here not looking for pity but for penance for posting over there to begin with.

There's something more important at work too under the surface but I won't get into that here. Maybe more appropriate for NPR.

They say that facebook is where people are at now...Well, I'm staying here until the bitter end. Facebook is all kind of messed up. At least here you can discuss things. What's the point of such facebook groups, I wonder? Patting eachother on the (virtual) back? Nah, screw that.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I guess since I was publicly scolded and then banned before I could defend myself, I might as well let everyone know they should never expect to have an open conversation whenever William Hurst is around.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Well I guess since I was publicly scolded and then banned before I could defend myself, I might as well let everyone know they should never expect to have an open conversation whenever William Hurst is around.

William Hurst
Damion Turchetto

Who else is an administrator on that group

Echelon

The hill hill thrilla
Silver Member
This is actually an excellent topic for discussion. My viewpoint pertains to smaller calcuttas in weekly tournaments, which is what I see here. Usually when a player doesn't buy half themselves back in the calcutta, after the winning bid goes to someone else, it's usually because they either don't have enough $$ to do so, they don't think it's a wise investment, or they think they ended up selling at a considerably higher $$ than they should have and are a little ticked off at the bidders that bid them up that high.

People that buy someone in the calcutta have very likely bought other players numerous times before and either won or lost money on those investments, so generally I'd say we rarely see it in here that the winner of the tourney gets tipped from the person that purchased him/her in the calcutta, regardless of whether they purchased back half of themselves or not. In fact, I'd guess usually the buyer is often even a little disappointed the player hasn't eased their investment by purchasing back half themselves, unless of course when they win it all, in which case they are glad they didn't.

Obviously the player still has an incentive to finish as high as possible in the tournament to collect their share of entry fee purse, regardless of whether they've bought in to the calcutta purse. Regardless of that, sometimes the buyer has some concern about whether the player who doesn't purchase back half themselves may "dump" on the buyer, to get back at them for bidding them up so high. I've seen that happen as well.

Yep, I got bid up VERY high in a large out of town tourney and had no idea why at the time. The guy was all pissed off that i wouldn't buy half. I'm thinking WTF does this guy know about me, I'm way out of my league in this tourney. I find out on the ride home that my buddy, who fancies him self a gamble and stake horse convinced several guys I was some top road player so one of them would blow all their cash on me making it easier for my buddy to get some top players for less. Despite his horrible stroke I guess my buddy was a hustler after all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the audacity to question this and they managed to ban me before I could leave the group. So they did win that battle.

Anyway, AZ is a WAY better place to actually exchange ideas about pool than is FB. So I come here not looking for pity but for penance for posting over there to begin with.

There's something more important at work too under the surface but I won't get into that here. Maybe more appropriate for NPR.

Even though I am an admin of two Facebook billiards groups, I consider the platform inferior to a forum structure such as AZ or a well done website. It's popular because it is better-suited to mobile devices but Facebook is not a searchable database and there are probably more than a thousand pages for every interest category. For that reason alone, Facebook is a scammer's playground.

Regarding the admin activity, I find the conduct of some of the admins at times embarrassing and some admins and moderators have elevated their activity/responsibility to a sport all by itself. It's unfortunate, because in some cases, they are banning some good people.

This is a filtered version of what I really think. If I spoke my mind I would probably get banned as well.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yep, I got bid up VERY high in a large out of town tourney and had no idea why at the time. The guy was all pissed off that i wouldn't buy half. I'm thinking WTF does this guy know about me, I'm way out of my league in this tourney. I find out on the ride home that my buddy, who fancies him self a gamble and stake horse convinced several guys I was some top road player so one of them would blow all their cash on me making it easier for my buddy to get some top players for less. Despite his horrible stroke I guess my buddy was a hustler after all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You need better friends :smile:

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
This guy looks like a complete tool

I just can't stop laughing at this.

Well, I myself can't wait to get tossed. But first a little fun is in order.

Attachments

• admin on facebook.jpg
    admin on facebook.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 368

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even though I am an admin of two Facebook billiards groups, I consider the platform inferior to a forum structure such as AZ or a well done website. It's popular because it is better-suited to mobile devices but Facebook is not a searchable database and there are probably more than a thousand pages for every interest category. For that reason alone, Facebook is a scammer's playground.

Regarding the admin activity, I find the conduct of some of the admins at times embarrassing and some admins and moderators have elevated their activity/responsibility to a sport all by itself. It's unfortunate, because in some cases, they are banning some good people.

This is a filtered version of what I really think. If I spoke my mind I would probably get banned as well.

I got banned from that group and had no idea why. No warning or anything.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Youse guys that got banned....maybe you should’ve tipped the moderator.
:cool:

bmsclayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
south

I just can't stop laughing at this.

Well, I myself can't wait to get tossed. But first a little fun is in order.

Great South Park episode where everyone was a yelp critic and all thought they were the one keeping the food world going.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bmsclayton,

Sounds like I need to watch that episode. There's so much of that going on in that group. Reading one of the admins over there going on about "their vision" for the group, or what "they were trying to accomplish" was just about a daily occurrence. It's like they wanted us all to believe they had been planning for years to roll out this FB group. You know, flying across country to meet with consultants and having dozens of late night conference calls. I'm mean seriously -- it takes about 3 clicks of a mouse and a handful of strokes on the old keyboard to start a FB group. It's tough stuff.

raskeL.

Registered
Penance? That's ok my son. Recite two lines from The Hustler, practice 14.1 for an hour and pay for a friend's entry into a local tournament.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand why this is a question...the player isn't going to beg you to buy him, and if he wants to make money on the Calcutta and believes in himself then he would buy half from the purchaser. Why would I want to share my winnings with them if I get them in the Calcutta, not my friend, not my business partner. I personally think the Calcutta should be anonymous...none of your business what my bet is, if you wanna win the Calcutta, buy yourself.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just bumping this thread as I see our very own JB has recently been removed from this group without explanation.

Any other fun ban stories from this group in the past few years?