The Masters Tournament

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How long did the Masters tournament run? I know 2001 was the first year as I have some Accu-Stats DVDs from that tournament. But how long did it last? And why didn't it succeed?

Anybody recall what happened here?

r/DCP

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How long did the Masters tournament run? I know 2001 was the first year as I have some Accu-Stats DVDs from that tournament. But how long did it last? And why didn't it succeed?

r/DCP
What "Masters" are you referring to?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it the norfolk event(s) you reefer to? If so...

A. Aren't they still waiting for Brady to pay?

2. That was only a 'marquee' event by Behrman standards.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was the Masters Tournament that Barry Behrman ran in April of 2001. I believe Efren beat Earl in the finals of that tournament. It might have even been held in the same place where the U.S. Open was held at the time.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was the Masters Tournament that Barry Behrman ran in April of 2001. I believe Efren beat Earl in the finals of that tournament. It might have even been held in the same place where the U.S. Open was held at the time.

Was there only one of those? I think it was held at QMasters pool hall, Barry's room. Thought they had a few of those not just one.

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just msg Danny Harriman and he will tell you everything you need to know about it buddy.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Danny gets all the easy shots, doesn't he?
Some people play for position better than others.:wink:

The first year:

BilliardsDigestMisc 001.jpg

BilliardsDigestMisc 002.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The following two years the only hint I see of the event is something called "The Chesapeake Spring Open" in April that was on the calendar but I didn't find any report about it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

Come on man, how many tournaments DID succeed. When you look at all of those old accustats tapes, you see a ton of sponsors on the side. They are ALL gone save simonis and aramith. Pool is just that way. Nothing sticks. Be it a "first annual" (ha ha, yeah right) tournament, a sponsorship company, a promoter, etc.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that I have thought more about this and read the posts - at least the useful ones - it seems that I recall somebody went to prison around this time. Did that factor into the demise of the Masters? Or am I way off here?

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that I have thought more about this and read the posts - at least the useful ones

IKR? Who is this Bob Jewett guy?? I doubt he knows anything about pool! Now that I have thought more about this he probably just conjured up that magazine article to throw us off. I bet the failure of the tourney was his fault and they probably had the wrong color of felt on the tables too!!

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob already posted the year and location details, but the highlight of that tournament was the way that Alex and another Filipino were messing with Earl's head during the finals, standing around the table and talking out loud about the money they were going to make betting on Efren. Earl had totally dominated Efren the last time they'd played in the Open (the 1997 Finals), but this time all that baiting plus a few bad rolls and Efren runouts had Earl talking to himself.

In terms of actual pool, the best match of the event was the semi-final when Efren beat Souquet in a nailbiter that came down to the last few games, but since neither of those two are drama queens, there wasn't the same buzz in the crowd as when Earl and Alex were slinging darts at each other.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that I have thought more about this and read the posts - at least the useful ones - it seems that I recall somebody went to prison around this time. Did that factor into the demise of the Masters? Or am I way off here?

Everything is related to everything, dceep.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The following two years the only hint I see of the event is something called "The Chesapeake Spring Open" in April that was on the calendar but I didn't find any report about it.
Billiards Digest had interesting items related to the event in July 2001, November 2001, and January 2002.