the old dinosaur and carbon fiber

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
on march 6th I said I might make a carbon fiber shaft and see what all the hype was about. I like wood shafts. I was called an old dinosaur, behind the times, had no clue what I was talking about and that I could not make a carbon fiber shaft.

I have 2 being used locally, one on the way to Washington for an azb member to test and the one pictured here, so much for telling me what I can and cant do,

the cue below is a one piece purpleheart 3/8 by 10 pin flat face joint with a shaft I made, it is not perfect and has discoloration where it is tapered, but that will make zero difference in how it plays. I will work on that problem if I ever build anymore like this. I am working on some silver material for future shafts.

it weights 3.6 oz, has a 18 pro taper, and a s.i.b. medium tip. it moves cue ball as it should, has a different sound at contact but not unpleasant, something like a real hard tip. i use a very hard bees wax on my wood shafts and did the same to this, to me feels about the same.

it takes about a year to make a maple shaft, and finding good wood is getting harder. I had never worked with carbon fiber before accept for tip pads when I started this project. I can make one of these shafts in 3 days and a total work time of less than 3 hrs
and its cheap to make but nasty to work with this material.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Photos

I am an old dinosaur, memory shot

Attachments

• 20180403_103114.jpg
    20180403_103114.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 688
  • 20180403_103151.jpg
    20180403_103151.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 685
  • 20180403_103228.jpg
    20180403_103228.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 683

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
on march 6th I said I might make a carbon fiber shaft and see what all the hype was about. I like wood shafts. I was called an old dinosaur, behind the times, had no clue what I was talking about and that I could not make a carbon fiber shaft.

I have 2 being used locally, one on the way to Washington for an azb member to test and the one pictured here, so much for telling me what I can and cant do,

the cue below is a one piece purpleheart 3/8 by 10 pin flat face joint with a shaft I made, it is not perfect and has discoloration where it is tapered, but that will make zero difference in how it plays. I will work on that problem if I ever build anymore like this. I am working on some silver material for future shafts.

it weights 3.6 oz, has a 18 pro taper, and a s.i.b. medium tip. it moves cue ball as it should, has a different sound at contact but not unpleasant, something like a real hard tip. i use a very hard bees wax on my wood shafts and did the same to this, to me feels about the same.

it takes about a year to make a maple shaft, and finding good wood is getting harder. I had never worked with carbon fiber before accept for tip pads when I started this project. I can make one of these shafts in 3 days and a total work time of less than 3 hrs

A few more questions...what is the tip size/width of your carbon fiber shaft...and is it a pain to adjust that size per order, as in customize it to the pool player's preferences?

Also, where any filler materials used on the interior of the shaft?

Great work and I think you are proving carbon fiber is here to stay in the pool world, especially after it breaks out of the production and into the custom cue universe

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Not sure where you get your carbon from or what costs are, but newer carbon has far less weave visible.

Not sure you can see it well and I will try to get a better pic at home, but:

Attachments

• 20180401_182940.jpg
    20180401_182940.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 659

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice!

By the way, considering that CF is made from petroleum distillates...meaning oil...meaning in some ways dead dinosaurs...the title of your post is hilarious!

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice!

By the way, considering that CF is made from petroleum distillates...meaning oil...meaning in some ways dead dinosaurs...the title of your post is hilarious!

Everything that's happened up to now. First the earth cooled. Then the Dinosaurs came. Then they got too big and fat and died which created oil. Then.., the arabs came. and they bought Mercedes Benz. Then Predator, Becue and desi2960 made Carbon Fiber shafts.

Everyone is all caught up now. Ohhh and hats off to Desi. Great job pal

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
black balled kid

I can make them in solid black, but revo is doing that, I am not trying to remake or duplicate their product, I am making my own

the shafts can be made any size

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd be interested in seeing videos from people playing with your shafts.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
What are you using as a filler?

I've seen other custom cue makers use a carbon fiber wrap over wood and predator uses the foam as a filler.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Looks great Chuck.

I might be interested in purchasing one if you come up with a cost. I like a 12.5 with a 18 inch taper. If you decide make anymore.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
CF makes a good shoehorn

Attachments

• 79FB99E3-6DBB-40E1-A141-3DCD9E57428D.jpg
    79FB99E3-6DBB-40E1-A141-3DCD9E57428D.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 546

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have used different things

the ones I build are hollow, and I have used different foams as filler and some I just left hollow.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the final verdict? Still a work in progress?

Curious to hear updates on this shaft!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything that's happened up to now. First the earth cooled. Then the Dinosaurs came. Then they got too big and fat and died which created oil. Then.., the arabs came. and they bought Mercedes Benz. Then Predator, Becue and desi2960 made Carbon Fiber shafts.

Everyone is all caught up now. Ohhh and hats off to Desi. Great job pal

k1pge.jpg

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Congratulations. I love it that this has happened considering what Predator is charging folks for a pool cue shaft. I don't give a piece of a hoot about R&D, or about what they do for the game, et cetera. I especially don't care for some marketing/advertising practices and tactics by any company.

It's very admirable of you to air the time involved in this "State of the Art Technology. Care to share a ballpark figure for expense of materials?

I'll still stick with my maple shafts regardless!

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update

Johnny, dont really know exact cost, but they are cheap, and can be made really fast when you remember a good maple shaft needs to be turned over a 7 or 8 month peroid.

As far as durability, i have found out that if usps runs over one with a fork lift it will break.

I have only made 5 and only been using them anout a month. Its going to take more shafts and more time.

They move the ball just fine, feel and sound ok, but i still will play with my wood shafts.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice!

Err,.....No

Carbon Fibers are made by heating polyacrylonitrile in an oxygen free furnace burning off all of the plastic except for the carbon atoms within.