Alex Pag runs 287 at Amsterdam Billiards 10/9/17

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you believe in probability and statistics....

If someone is 20% to run 100 in one try, they are close to even money to run 100 at least once in three tries. There was no one on the list at 20% but then it was on Diamonds.

I used to think it was remarkable that Richie Florence would bet on 10 tries for a 100-ball run.

People used to bet that Eufemia would run 200 in a practice session. A friend of mine spent a week in Syracuse in the late 1070s and on four consecutive nights Cranfield ran over 200 practicing in his home room.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People used to bet that Eufemia would run 200 in a practice session. A friend of mine spent a week in Syracuse in the late 1070s and on four consecutive nights Cranfield ran over 200 practicing in his home room.

Yes, I heard that was quite a good time, what with all the mead and wenches! :grin:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, I heard that was quite a good time, what with all the mead and wenches! :grin:

Sadly, we were engineers....

Wench.jpg

When you get older, young man, 900 years won't seem so significant to you.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I believe Willie could run a 100 in three attempts on the table Alex was playing.
...he said about it played pretty loose...said it played like a room we both know that has GC4s.
...pockets are somewhere between 4.75 and 4.85.
The Miz came to my town about 1978...did an exhibition on a GC2 with 5 inch pockets..
..he said "First I'll run a 100, then I'll show you a few trick shots."...Canucks value modesty
..but the Miz did what he said he was going to do...and the crowd loved it.

I feel the pockets at the DCC are not conducive to the same ease of making balls..
..they are 4.5....bigger pockets produce bigger runs...I have never seen otherwise.

Some stats that could be interesting to AtLarge...Alex's rspi...rest shots per inning..
...he used that crutch more than any straight pool player I ever saw....:)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe Willie could run a 100 in three attempts on the table Alex was playing.
...he said about it played pretty loose...said it played like a room we both know that has GC4s.
...pockets are somewhere between 4.75 and 4.85.
The Miz came to my town about 1978...did an exhibition on a GC2 with 5 inch pockets..
..he said "First I'll run a 100, then I'll show you a few trick shots."...Canucks value modesty
..but the Miz did what he said he was going to do...and the crowd loved it.

I feel the pockets at the DCC are not conducive to the same ease of making balls..
..they are 4.5....bigger pockets produce bigger runs...I have never seen otherwise.

Some stats that could be interesting to AtLarge...Alex's rspi...rest shots per inning..
...he used that crutch more than any straight pool player I ever saw....:)

rspi -- I like that one!

And yes, I'm well aware of the stories of Mosconi, Eufemia, etc. and the effects of tight pockets.

pt -- do you know any more about Alex's recent sessions on that table at Amsterdam, before and after he ran the 273? Wasn't he back at it the next night?
Any idea how many hundreds out of how many tries?

I once heard that Alex used to play 100/no-count against some people. Of course, he could have gotten lots of tries per game depending on who he was playing. Any truth to that claim? If true, what skill level were the opponents?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett, how good was Cranfield at this game? I got a copy of the straight pool bible and even got to meet Larry who helped write the book. The only known video I know if the guy was a match vs Mosconi(which is on Youtube) but it seemed like he was completely out of it.

how would you rate him vs the top players of the time?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
rspi -- I like that one!

And yes, I'm well aware of the stories of Mosconi, Eufemia, etc. and the effects of tight pockets.

pt -- do you know any more about Alex's recent sessions on that table at Amsterdam, before and after he ran the 273? Wasn't he back at it the next night?
Any idea how many hundreds out of how many tries?

I once heard that Alex used to play 100/no-count against some people. Of course, he could have gotten lots of tries per game depending on who he was playing. Any truth to that claim? If true, what skill level were the opponents?

Pretty sure that was his first try...think Michael said it on the video.
Freddie Agnir said he ran 51 his next try...didn't ask Alex when he called.
He was interested when I told him your count on the run...he wasn't sure til then....:)

Most of the conversation was about what he DIDN'T know about straight pool...
...he's still eager to learn just like when he was a 15 year old.
Alex was enroute to Elizabeth City when he called...he was delighted to find out that it is
Luther Lassiter's home town.
...maybe some of Wimpy's know-how will rub off.....:grin:

BTW...we do a little bet for lottery tickets sometimes....we both win if the numbers hit...
...but loser buys them.
Alex gets three tries to run a 100....he's a loser on the GC with 4.5 pockets...
...he's a winner on a Diamond with 4.75 pockets.