Kamui Black Clear Tips

EagleSoar

Registered
I just had two Kamui Black Soft Clear tips put on my two shafts. I have a problem with two shiny spots on the top of the tips whereby the cue ball would slide off the tips on occasion. I also had a hard clicking feel to the hit. I spoke to John at Kamui who told me there is a plastic cover that is on the top of the tip which needs to be taken off when installing and then the tip needs to be cut down to a nickel radius. He said that is why my cue ball is sliding off the cue tip. He indicated that my installer possibly wasn't aware that the plastic cover was on the Clear Kamui tips. My tip guy is one of the best in the area and didn't believe that there was a plastic covering on the Clear Kamui tips. He's been doing this for years and thought that was BS. My tip guy said I could bring them in and he'll try to fix them up for me. Has anyone else had this problem with their Clear Kamui tips being installed? Is there actually a clear plastic cover installed on the Black Kamui Clear tips? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like the tips. Have them on a few shafts.
Did he mention anything about the clicking?
One of mine makes the click sound, but the others don't.
I thought maybe it was a bad installation,
and possibly delaminated, but it's not.
Hits great. Just makes an annoying click.
Have never mis-cued with a Kamui though.

gregoryda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Along the subject of these tips, what is the purpose of the clear plastic ring on the bottom of the tip? Is it there to just protect the ferrule if the layers get too low?

simco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am one of those it's all the Indian not the arrow guys, but I tried one of these tips.
Never paid that much for a tip before and felt like a chump for doing so. I have since
changed my mind and am going to get one added to another cue. :thumbup:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Along the subject of these tips, what is the purpose of the clear plastic ring on the bottom of the tip? Is it there to just protect the ferrule if the layers get too low?

It is supposed to keep the glue from the installation from seeping into the short layers of the tip, making them play harder when shorter. IMO they all play too hard anyway after the first few uses,,,,,,,, I'll take a good Moori over Kamui any day.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is the clear pad attached to the bottom of the tip?

It is supposed to keep the glue from the installation from seeping into the short layers of the tip, making them play harder when shorter. IMO they all play too hard anyway after the first few uses,,,,,,,, I'll take a good Moori over Kamui any day.