What game is this?

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
Seen a video of Rodney Morris playing Corey Deuel in the Wyoming open I believe it was. They were playing a game kind of like eight ball except with thirteen balls. No wing balls. What game was this?

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think it's this.

13ball-300x225.jpg

A Brand New Game : Saratoga The Tournament
by Charlie Williams
Fb-Button

13ballSaratoga, Wyoming- March 29th on the eve of the Wyoming Open, all players will get a chance to play “Saratoga”. This game was designed and developed by Wyoming Open founder E.J. Glode. How is this game different? Well, for starters they play with a black 13-Ball! The Saratoga Tournament will be a $500 added event limited to 32 players with an affordable $50 entry fee, preceding the $25,000 purse events the following day. Past champions of the Saratoga Tournament include Rodney Morris, Charlie Williams, Raj Hundal, and Amar Kang.

“I was playing pool with my dear friend Susan one night. We discovered that we played at different speeds, I was a little better than she was. She told me that I had to run my balls in order. This leveled the playing field significantly. A few months later, I started playing rotation 13-ball. This is a challenging game, but my favorite thing about it was how the rack popped and spread out. I started combining the two ideas, and came up with “Saratoga” ” , explained game inventor and promoter E.J. Glode.

The rules are fairly simple: It is a mixture of 8-Ball and 9-Ball. 13 balls are used, which include unique color schemes such as a green 1-Ball and yellow 3-Ball. But there are stripes and solids. The table is always open after the break. One of each equals a choice. Then you must shoot your colors in rotation, and then finale with the black 13-Ball for the win.

“The rules are simple but it’s very interesting because games can become very defensive or very offensive depending on the players style. And players with great banking and kicking skills have a bigger advantage”, observed Charlie Williams, promoter, player and one of the world’s top pool coaches.

The Saratoga Tournament will finish in the same night it starts. The following day the 6th Annual Wyoming Open starts. The $25,000 purse event is co-promoted by Dragon Promotions and is renown to be the biggest and best pool event in the state drawing over 150 players in different divisions. The event is sponsored by Asia’s #1 pro cloth Andy Cloth and Master Chalk. Local partners are Duke’s Bar & Grill and Riviera Lodge and all events coordinated by Shively Hardware.

Last edited:

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
13 balls are used, which include unique color schemes such as a green 1-Ball and yellow 3-Ball.
Why the heck would one need a different set of balls for this game?

molinatx4206

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a stream out of SD I think and they were playing this but from what I remembered, they just removed the 7 &15 and it was just straight rotation based on whatever group you chose with the 8 still being your money ball.

Last edited:

Careyp74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why the heck would one need a different set of balls for this game?

Right, I was thinking, just remove the 1 and 15 from your current set. I think he wanted it to be called 13 ball where the object is to sink the 13 last, like in 8 ball. Also, to make money selling balls.

For those of you that think this is too challenging, try 11 ball, remove the 1,2, 14, and 15 from your current set, play by same rules.

Careyp74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a stream out of SD I think and they were playing this but from what I remembered, they just removed the 7 &15 and it was just straight rotation based on whatever group you chose with the 8 still being your money ball.

Yeah, that might be a tad bit more logical removing the 7 instead.