Opinions Needed on SBE 14.1 Challenge

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In an effort to make the challenge more fun and accessible to everyone I am thinking of making this event a pro am.

That being said I would like to make the final 8 players comprised of 4 professionals and 4 amateurs.

Please let me know if you guys think this is a good idea.

I know if I was about to enter and I saw John Schmidt Thorsten Hohman Oliver Ortman Jasmin Ouschan and Bustamante hypothetically with big numbers up on the board I would not want to take part as I would feel like I was throwing my money away. I'm not trying to sound negative here, just trying to think of ways that will make the event more fun for everyone. There is a massive league and general public contingent that comes to Valley Forge each year and I truly believe that if we do it this way we will get more sign ups than we earlier projected.

Please let me know what you guys think of this idea.

I will say this though, right now it is just an idea and I am waiting to hear what everyone thinks.

Charlie

Last edited:

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Charlie, I will be happy with whatever the end game is. This although, may raise the 'ol "who is pro and who is not".Not saying it can't be done...but....

Kev

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im hoping for a few more opinions guys help us out here.

Right now the issue on the table is how to classify one to play on the "pro" level of the challenge.

Or if there should be such a classification to make this event a pro am.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Im hoping for a few more opinions guys help us out here.

Right now the issue on the table is how to classify one to play on the "pro" level of the challenge.

Or if there should be such a classification to make this event a pro am.

I agree, you're going to have a very difficult time classifying players. You're also going to leave yourself open to a dreaded situation where someone gets into the amateur side and puts up like a 125. Have fun dealing with that one! ;)

Still, if you can figure out a way to handle that, I'm cool with it. As long as all prize money is split evenly. If there are 50 entries on the amateur side, and 20 on the pro side, then the prize money should be split evenly as if there were 35 entries on each. I know that sounds unfair but it is symptomatic of all the problems in pool when the amateurs can expect to make more than the pros, simply because there are more of them. [It's funny - I'm rereading this in the preview and it really seems unfair what I'm suggesting. But I can't tell you how sad it would be to see the amateur side winner getting $2,000 while the pro side winner got $275.)

Food for thought... Thanks again for everything, Charlie.

- Steve

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, you're going to have a very difficult time classifying players. You're also going to leave yourself open to a dreaded situation where someone gets into the amateur side and puts up like a 125. Have fun dealing with that one! ;)

Still, if you can figure out a way to handle that, I'm cool with it. As long as all prize money is split evenly. If there are 50 entries on the amateur side, and 20 on the pro side, then the prize money should be split evenly as if there were 35 entries on each. I know that sounds unfair but it is symptomatic of all the problems in pool when the amateurs can expect to make more than the pros, simply because there are more of them. [It's funny - I'm rereading this in the preview and it really seems unfair what I'm suggesting. But I can't tell you how sad it would be to see the amateur side winner getting $2,000 while the pro side winner got $275.)

Food for thought... Thanks again for everything, Charlie.

- Steve

Hey Steve it is still in the idea stage for this. It is a rough decision but to answer the money question, all the money will be split evenly. There will be no amateur prize and pro prize. Once you make it to the final eight thats it thats the tournament.

Charlie

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Here is my suggestion. Leave it as an open to all event with the same $25 per try(5 innings) entry for everyone. The top 8 scores make the finals to be run sunday, single elim 100 points for 80% of the entry fees taken in during qualifying. Then for the remaining 20% hold a consolation for any player that didn't make the final 8 top scores but did score over 100 totaling the 5 innings during qualifying, this consolation would be run saturday night and would be the same format as the qualifiers. Everyone plays a round with 5 innings just like the qualifiers and the top 4 of those advance for 1 more round to see who wins the consolation. Or something to that effect. The idea being it sets at least a goal for players to hit 100 in 5 innings and at least have a shot at something.

Or maybe 60-70 is a better number to make the consolation round, 100 is tough if you try it LOL. I am not telling what I got tonight when I tried it :(

Kev

Last edited:

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like selftaut's idea of a consolation try for anyone who hits a certain minimum. The pro-am concept is a nice idea but there's no way to distinguish pros from amateurs with sufficient accuracy.