Ralf Souquet 108 ball run at Derby 2012

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
very interesting.

we're always told not to move the cue ball around more than necessary, but -- and i've noticed this with Ralf before, including on the recent Capelle DVD -- he seems much more concerned with lines than with distance, i.e., he's willing to move the cue ball a Long ways, even up and down the whole table on alternate shots, in order to not have to move it much angle-wise. of course, his long distance shooting is impeccable, so that helps!

thanks for posting, Dennis!

XtremEdge

Registered
Very typical of a European player, the cue ball moves more than is ordinarily recommended. I see this constantly. It requires a great player to ensure they are not going to run out of position.

Steve Davis 14.1

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Very typical of a European player, the cue ball moves more than is ordinarily recommended. I see this constantly. It requires a great player to ensure they are not going to run out of position.

Steve Davis 14.1

Needless to say, not even Steve Davis himself would consider himself a Straight Pool player, and those challenge matches against Steve Mizerak in 1987 may have been the first time Steve ever played pool at all, let alone against serious competition. In contrast, Ralf Souquet is widely considered to be one of the finest Straight Pool players in Europe, and has been for a long time. It's true that he'll content himself with leaving longer shots as long as he gets his preferred flat angles - takes a very smooth stroke to generate much power off them e.g. breaking the balls, of course he's got one of the smoothest out there.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti