One very sick pool player

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay -
Are you a smoker? I ask because my aunt had the same thing several years ago and the doctors kept giving her antibiotics for step throat and it turned out she had esophageal cancer. If caught early there is a high recovery rate but because no one caught the symptoms until it was too late she was stage 4. Certainly not trying to scare you but I wouldn't want to sit on this information if it could help.

Hope it's just a sore throat and you're up and running soon.
Koop

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Jay,

I had the same thing, throat felt like I swallowed razor blades... so you're not alone!

Unfortunately, it's a virus so you gotta wait it out, let it run its course. IMO trying to play or do anything will just be frustrating. Gatorade and plenty of rest... gargling with salt water seemed to help a little for me.

Lay low and cue up your pool videos!:thumbup:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't been able to play all week thanks to this virus I came down with. I've been taking Amoxicillin since Monday and sucking on one throat lozenge after another. My body feels okay now for the most part but my throat is really, really sore and when I cough it's very painful. It's that deep cough that erupts from inside your chest, not just a tickle in your throat. Even swallowing causes pain in my throat. My doctor said that since I have a virus I just have to wait it out. The Amoxicillin helps but nothing is helping with the sore throat.

Yesterday he prescribed a cough medication with codeine in it and that numbs my throat so I'm not nearly as uncomfortable. It also makes me sleepy which right now is not a bad thing. But when I wake up the pain in my throat has not subsided. It's like having Whooping Cough (and maybe I do). Since Monday I was coughing all day and night, until I got the codeine.

I'm hoping someone on here has had experience with something like this and can offer me some assistance. I tried to play pool yesterday but felt exhausted after less than half an hour. It's particularly frustrating because my pool game had been rounding into form, hitting the balls good and gaining confidence. I know I'm playing better than I was last month when I played in Vegas. I don't want to lose all that I've gained over the last two months.

I'm open to any ideas! I keep hoping I will wake up and my throat won't be hurting as bad, but so far there's been no real progress. I don't want to rely on codeine just to make it through the day. I feel a little drunk all the time and it's hard to play pool when you're feeling that way.

Thanks, Jay

Jay,

Ask the doctor for some Magic Mouthwash. That works really well to numb your throat.

Prescription:

1 Part viscous lidocaine 2%
1 Part Maalox
1 Part diphenhydramine 12.5 mg per 5 ml elixir

nickgeo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fisherman's Friend Cough Drops

Very tiny, very powerful. For relief of symptoms, not curative.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Have some chicken soup!!!!

I'm not just being funny here...reasons have been discovered why it works.
Google it.

I don't like taking the drugstore options that mask the problem.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Your doctor told the truth - it takes time. It could be worse. My wife has no hair right now due to chemotherapy for breast cancer. She has to quit chemo because of pre-existing stomach problems which flared up and go to radiation which will burn her skin.

Count your blessings Jay.

Boy howdy on that! Best wishes to your wife...

Jay..hang in there. This too, shall pass.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, rest and fluids, i think all you can really do is treat the symptoms.

Hang in there, hope you get well soon!

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sore throat mostly is a virus, it shall pass after 3-5 days max. If not, immediately see another doctor, it can also be something completely different or evolve into a full blown throat infection or even vocal chord or larynx infection. These are not to play with.
The Amoxi is not really helping, just keeping other bacteria out. It's also rather heavy on the bowels... you can also get Anti-viral medication (Amoxi is anti-biotics and not against viruses!) if it's getting too heavy, but this is prescribed rarely.

For the coghing: please get https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine as soon as you can. Usual doses are 600mg/day, best taken in 2-3 individual doses. Don't take the last dose too late, better early afternoon.
This shall chemically alter the mucus to be transported better.

You can also get https://www.rxwiki.com/mucosolvan - this has another effect on the mucus than the ACC before. It will also influence your hairs in the respiratory system for more activity and also different type of mucus.

Codeine, boy o boy! It shall only be taken when the coughing is making your condition worse. Else, only take it during the night! You need to cough to get the mucus out!

Get mouthwash as another one say, the heavy stuff. Lysterine total can be taken, too... but the alcohol in it will dry out your throat further.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorhexidine this shall be good in mouthwash!

The stuff going around these days is not a normal flu, it's really really bad stuff.

Try to be upright (again, mucus stuff) and take hot baths with eucalyptus bath oils.

Hope to see you get better soon - please have this monitored by a doctor.
Cheers,
M

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
BIG THANKS to all you guys! I just woke up and read all these replies. We have so many smart people on here. Some of this stuff I have already and the rest I can get. I'm starting to spit up crap so that's a good sign. It's been five days now, so maybe I'm starting to get over it. Today is better than yesterday. My throat hurts maybe 10-15% less. Not quite so sore and I can handle the coughing. Still hurts but not as bad. Time for my first meal of the day. :sorry:

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ouch!

Sorry to hear about the crud you caught Jay, sounds bad. I hope the doctor checked you for strep, if not you need to be checked and pneumonia shots are not a 100% guarantee. Makes me wonder after reading your post.

Some of those bugs are vicious and take a couple of weeks or more to go away and some times they have to continue antibiotics on tough strains. Definitely go back if not seeing improvement in three days.

The other thing you can do is buy some cheap whiskey, get a big fat cigar and sit in your car with out the keys and the windows rolled up and drink the whiskey and inhale the cigar as you smoke it, that should burn it out of your body and you will feel good enough to go get a tattoo!

Take your cell phone in the car so you can call old pool buddies you haven't talked to in years and tell them your on the road to recovery!

My wife and me will pray for you Jay. We know all about bad health and always pray for God to lead us to the right doctor and always thank Him for good health.

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear that, Jay, sounds bad. I suggest a room humidifier, take an expectorant and drink lots of water. The idea is to loosen it up and cough that mucus out of there.

Do you have a fever?

What he said! Sorry to hear this Jay, don't have any advise but I'll be thinking of you. I haven't had anything like that in years, fortunately.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Luckily I don't get sick ( bad like this ) very often. This has been my tried and true remedy and of course it just needs time so these are just to mitigate symptoms . The codeine cough med is very helpful. Will say though often the teaspoon or whatever dose is a joke so adjust as necessary and hopefully they gave you the big bottle lol. Next the powdered Theraflu into hot water. Vitamin c pills and vit c suckers. I usually take about 500% daily allowance . Chloroseptic is good for numbing throat, although only for short times. The cherry is good, green is nasty lol. And finally good about mounts of Nyqiul. Sleep away as much of it as you can and the rest of the time be out of it enough that you don't notice the pain and symptoms . One last thing that may be the best. My grandparents secret elixir . Whorehound candies melted down in a pan mixed with a decent brandy. Stuff really works for throat pain and cough.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I slept about three hours and after I got up we went to the Asian market. When my wife asked him about Loquat syrup, he knew exactly what she meant and pulled out a bottle from behind the counter. All the writing was in Japanese. Our nearby Asian market is so inexpensive, only charged us 6.99 for a large bottle.

I did notice that I was feeling weak and starting to cough after being outside for only fifteen minutes. We went right back home and she made me a hot cup of the syrup with lemon added. She heated it up to where is was barely drinkable and I sipped it slowly. Surprise, it tasted good! I can't tell yet how much good it will do me, but I'm feeling optimistic. Good karma that he had a bottle right there waiting for me.

Instead of laying down today, I will sit up and watch the games. When I lay down is when I start to cough again. Where it hurts is way deep down in my upper chest.

Thanks again guys. We have a good support system on here. :thumbup:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been a very sick puppy all this week but the stuff I got turned on to here is like a miracle drug. I believe it is a Chinese concoction as it's made in Hong Kong and the packaging is in Chinese (I was wrong when I said Japanese earlier). The name is Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa and it has many ingredients, mostly roots, leaves, seeds and flower buds. That old world medicine is hard to beat.

I've taken two doses today of two tablespoons mixed with a small cup of hot water and already my throat is feeling soothed. It does have honey as an ingredient so it's easy to swallow. I was told to sip it slowly and I did just that. One of the main ingredients is Loquat, which is a leaf. I highly recommend this if you have a severe sore throat.

I've also used an acid reflux med and Mucinex for loosening up the phlegm. I feel better right now then I've felt all week. This is the first day I've made any progress. I know that I still need to take it easy for the next few days and not get over confident. My body is definitely weak after fighting this thing 24 hours a day for four days. Just going to the nearby Asian market and getting the syrup wore me out. I have to accept that I am an older man and I can't shake these things off like a younger, stronger man can. I really felt my vulnerability this week.

Thanks again for your concern and the great advice I got on here. Yes, I'm drinking water all the time as well. Room temperature water, not cold from the frig.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I've been a very sick puppy all this week but the stuff I got turned on to here is like a miracle drug. I believe it is a Chinese concoction as it's made in Hong Kong and the packaging is in Chinese (I was wrong when I said Japanese earlier). The name is Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa and it has many ingredients, mostly roots, leaves, seeds and flower buds. That old world medicine is hard to beat.

I've taken two doses today of two tablespoons mixed with a small cup of hot water and already my throat is feeling soothed. It does have honey as an ingredient so it's easy to swallow. I was told to sip it slowly and I did just that. One of the main ingredients is Loquat, which is a leaf. I highly recommend this if you have a severe sore throat.

I've also used an acid reflux med and Mucinex for loosening up the phlegm. I feel better right now then I've felt all week. This is the first day I've made any progress. I know that I still need to take it easy for the next few days and not get over confident. My body is definitely weak after fighting this thing 24 hours a day for four days. Just going to the nearby Asian market and getting the syrup wore me out. I have to accept that I am an older man and I can't shake these things off like a younger, stronger man can. I really felt my vulnerability this week.

Thanks again for your concern and the great advice I got on here. Yes, I'm drinking water all the time as well. Room temperature water, not cold from the frig.

You'll be better before you know it.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, secret Chinese ancient remedy!

"Caine, snatch the pebble from my hand"!

For the coughing and mucus, you might also try some Robitussin DM, or generic.. that seems to loosen up the s**t in the chest.. rest, rest, rest, Jaybird must get well!:thumbup:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ah, secret Chinese ancient remedy!

"Caine, snatch the pebble from my hand"!

For the coughing and mucus, you might also try some Robitussin DM, or generic.. that seems to loosen up the s**t in the chest.. rest, rest, rest, Jaybird must get well!:thumbup:

I've a got a generic brand from CVS, same ingredients. It helps for sure. I've taken so much sh-t in the last few days I feel like a druggie. I've been looped pretty good all week, but starting to snap out it now. Don't worry, I won't get hooked on anything!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've a got a generic brand from CVS, same ingredients. It helps for sure. I've taken so much sh-t in the last few days I feel like a druggie. I've been looped pretty good all week, but starting to snap out it now. Don't worry, I won't get hooked on anything!
Mix a little bourbon, honey and lemon. Warm it a tad. Not sure if it does a d^*n thing but it sure can't hurt!!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mix a little bourbon, honey and lemon. Warm it a tad. Not sure if it does a d^*n thing but it sure can't hurt!!

Sounds like an old Southern remedy. I like it! Okay, I'm outa here. I think my Pacers are letting me down tonight.