2017 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi All! Post your 2017 runs in this thread and I'll keep this first post up to date with everyone's high run. No need to private message me unless you're trying to hide from group feedback! This list is for regular posters here on AZ Billiards. Videos are always in demand and generate good discussion and I'll post links if you upload them. Good luck all!

2016 Challenge Results
2015 Challenge Results
2014 Challenge Results
2013 Challenge Results
2012 Challenge Results
2011 Challenge Results
2010 Challenge Results
2009 Challenge Results
2008 Challenge Results
2007 Challenge Results
2006 Challenge Results

1. 165 - marek, Nov 15
2. 153 - acousticsguru, Jul 18
3. 121 - Marop, Jul 5 VIDEO-121, VIDEO-94, VIDEO-94 :thumbup:
4. 105 - 14-1StraightMan, Jun 28
5. 105 - Poolmanis, Aug 31 VIDEO-105, VIDEO-99 :thumbup:
6. 85 - stevekur1, Sep 17
7. 73 - Hal2, Aug 9
8. 70 - Bob Jewett, Apr 15
9. 63 - daphish1, Mar 4
10. 61 - GLauchle, Feb 5
11. 57 - mjantti, May 7 VIDEO-57 :thumbup:
12. 56 - mmasou, Jan 15
13. 55 - Get_A_Grip, Jun 28
14. 52 - 9BallJim, Jan 15 VIDEO-52 :thumbup:
15. 52 - jalapus logan, Mar 20
16. 42 - peppersauce, Aug 15 VIDEO-42 :thumbup:
17. 37 - iusedtoberich, Dec 7 VIDEO-37 :thumbup:
18. 36 - bral, Feb 6
19. 30 - DJKeys, Aug 20
20. 28 - mworkman, Aug
21. 28 - robertno1pool, Nov 18
22. 28 - SARDiver, Oct 5
23. 26 - poolplayher, Oct 24 VIDEO-26 :thumbup:
24. 24 - Str8PoolMan, Feb 2

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi All! Post your 2017 runs in this thread and I'll keep this first post up to date with everyone's high run. No need to private message me unless you're trying to hide from group feedback! This list is for regular posters here on AZ Billiards. Videos are always in demand and generate good discussion and I'll post links if you upload them. Good luck all!

1. 99 - Poolmanis, Jan 10 VIDEO-99 :thumbup:

:thumbup:Woot!Woot!

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

How good of you to continue this thread (series)! Great excuse to not just shoot but move up the coin and count. :thumbup:

My best of the year so far was a 115 on the 20th of January. Missed an easy secondary break shot because the mobile phone rang at just the wrong moment - important DHL redelivery I'd been waiting for, but then, how could anyone or anything claim to be more "important" than Straight Pool?! :wink:

(Other than that, my "old age" problem persists: running multiples of 14 + 1 most of the time, missing the first shot after the break all too often - seems as if a shot - any shot - can't be easy enough for me these days…)

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Thank you for supporting this high run challenge again, Alinco.

Please put me down for a 52-ball run on 1/15.

https://youtu.be/nRT2iM-R7II

Barefoot, as usual? You should really get extra points for that! :wink:

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
36 ball run, Feb 6, in a match against my regular sparring partner. No video, need to work on that!

I know it's dwarfed by the regulars here, but I believe it's my new all time high run. My high run around the time I quit playing in ~'96 was 35. My previous high run since returning to pool in 2011 was 26 on 12/24/13 in a practice session. Hope to have reasons to make subsequent posts to this thread :)

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
How good of you to continue this thread (series)! Great excuse to not just shoot but move up the coin and count. :thumbup:

My best of the year so far was a 115 on the 20th of January. Missed an easy secondary break shot because the mobile phone rang at just the wrong moment - important DHL redelivery I'd been waiting for, but then, how could anyone or anything claim to be more "important" than Straight Pool?! :wink:

(Other than that, my "old age" problem persists: running multiples of 14 + 1 most of the time, missing the first shot after the break all too often - seems as if a shot - any shot - can't be easy enough for me these days…)

Congrats David on your excellent run. Something to be proud of. 👍

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Congrats David on your excellent run. Something to be proud of. 👍

Thank you, bud! I'm sometimes saying to myself I'll quit if a year goes by without running three digits at least once, or a practice session in which I don't at least run 50 (my "daily regime" if in fact I managed to play every day - mere wishful thinking…). Not the wisest of goals psychologically speaking: "who lives by the sword shall die by the sword!" ;)

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

Watched this earlier, wondering (as you probably did in hindsight) why you didn't bank the ball - and was reminded of the fact that since I don't "practice" (as in prepare for tournaments, by which I'm really referring to other than Straight Pool) anymore, but don't do anything other than set up a Straight Pool break shot and run balls, I don't quite have the confidence to bank balls anymore that I used to (but roughly the same confidence in cutting a ball into a side pocket, in this case a blind side pocket). Having said that, the bank may have been the "correct" shot in your scenario anyhow (= just running balls for fun, no real penalty)?

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Thanks so much Andy for keeping the torch lit in the tradition of this great yearly thread !!

Hope to get back to the tables soon, to stake my claim on this alway great list of fellow 14.1 Players

-Steve

Last edited:

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High Run of 24

Put me down for a 24 in a league match. Not sure what day it was, so call it 02/02/2017.

Thanks.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Watched this earlier, wondering (as you probably did in hindsight) why you didn't bank the ball - and was reminded of the fact that since I don't "practice" (as in prepare for tournaments, by which I'm really referring to other than Straight Pool) anymore, but don't do anything other than set up a Straight Pool break shot and run balls, I don't quite have the confidence to bank balls anymore that I used to (but roughly the same confidence in cutting a ball into a side pocket, in this case a blind side pocket). Having said that, the bank may have been the "correct" shot in your scenario anyhow (= just running balls for fun, no real penalty)?

I don't bank that well and I thought the cut in the corner gave me more reward for continuing the run. In hindsight I should have banked it, lol.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

Nice shooting billy....But i thought of this during this sequence you were dwelling on !!

Please dismiss my bad art skills so early on a sunday morning !!

CaptureMarop.JPG

daphish1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ran a 63 on 3/4/2017 on an 8' table. Even though on a smaller table by far the best run I've had. Had to scramble on two break shots but clipped the rack enough to keep my run going. Once I started thinking too much about making it thru the 5th rack, I missed a relatively routine shot.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
finally got to hit some balls last night after a 4 Month layoff due to back issues.

ran a 53 in my 3rd inning on 3/7/17 while talking my way through it as a lesson to a few of my 14.1 League players.

-Steve "The Commish"

Last edited:

mmasou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
high run of 56 around jan 15th, broke previous record of 43* , missed easy break shot

Last edited: