Viking vs Mcdermott

Cueball13

Registered
Hey everyone I’m new here and just getting back into billiards. I’m looking into getting a new cue but nothing out of sight on price lol. I’m interested in the Vikings and Mcdermott. Does anyone have any input on them? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a McDermott that I absolutely love. It REALLY all comes down to what feels the best for you. Find a pool hall close to you, chat up the owner and customers the best you can, and offer to buy them a beer if you can shoot some balls with their cue. Most are more than willing to help out someone looking to get back into the game.
I have friends that swear by every brand of cue there is. It is really a personal thing. I started with a Cuetec because that was basically all I could afford and that is what people were using on TV in the 90's. I shot okay with it but never loved it. I only shot with a few other cues on occasion over the next 10 years and after finally winning enough money to justify it, I bought a McDermott. I got lucky that I picked something I immediately loved. It could have gone bad and if I didn't like it I would have bought another, and another. That cue was stolen 5+ years ago and I bought my current McD because it was on sale for $160 and I had over $2000 worth of pool/softball gear I needed to replace. I've loved it every since. I'm now getting a OB+ Pro shaft for it (arrives today and I can't wait) because I think it will let me think less about certain aspects of the game and more on others. Hopefully it doesn't hurt the "feel" of the cue, because I really love it, but unfortunately there is no one around here with a McD (or any kind of wood-wood joint) that also has a LD shaft that I could try.

TLDR; It is more about how good you are with a cue and less about how good the cue it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone I’m new here and just getting back into billiards. I’m looking into getting a new cue but nothing out of sight on price lol. I’m interested in the Vikings and Mcdermott. Does anyone have any input on them? Thanks in advance!

Both make decent cues in competitive price ranges.

McDermott has a great warranty.

Should we assume you are not looking at their import lines?

Are you looking at their "technology" or "LD" shafts or plain wood?

A little more info might help. Maybe your price range at least?

I think you will find positives for both brands, and fans of both brands. Both have been around a long time and have great reputations. Viking did go out of business for a while but was resurrected with mostly the same workers under a new owner.

Any particular reason you are only looking at those two?

Coming back to the game I am guessing those two are just more familiar to you.

There are other options, other brands. You might even just go with a custom sneaky or plain custom used.

Also, what is it you are looking for or expecting from your cue?

If it came down to it, and you just want an answer to the posted question, the McDermott warranty is a big sales point. Without any other criteria, that might be the tipping point.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have input on them
Buy a Lucasi.

Cueball13

Registered
The Mcdermott is the GS series and the Viking is just the VIK227 with a quick disconnect. Both are right around $200. I have used both before and enjoyed playing with each of them. I have just been away for long enough not to know which direction to go.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Viking, straightest cue I own. I have a lot of cues lol

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

McDermott. For only a couple more dollars you can get a G series with the G-core shaft. I have a Pechauer, Lucasi, and Schmelke (which you might want to consider; great little company, great prices and a lot of positive feedback on this site) and I like them all but always seem to pull my McDermott when I'm playing league night.
Whatever you choose hope you love it

hkstyle

Registered
Vote goes to mcdermott. great lifetime warranty when bought new and I love the way they hit. I would skip the gs series that comes with the traditional maple shaft and spend a bit more on their g series with the g core shaft.

Cueball13

Registered
Okay so an update on this. I ended up buying a custom made cue from a guy my buddy knows. It’s like a whole different game playing with it. I’m really liking it. When I get a chance I will take some pictures and post up!

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have input on them
Buy a Lucasi.

Have to disagree. I bought two 250$ lucasi customs this year to leave behind the bar at my local and one of them had a weird defect on the ferrule. It appeared the ferrule had been chipped and repaired resulting in a very sloppy looking ferrule/tip fit. The tip itself also had not been taken down properly leaving me wondering whether what i bought was new or not.The other lucasi on the otherhand, was fine.

After writing to the online retailer with photos, nothing was done as they said it was not covered.

All all my other cue purchases ( predator, molinari ) have been spot on without QC issues ( except Revo ). The tips, ferrules etc are all first class.

My input, steer clear of Lucasi

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to disagree. I bought two 250$ lucasi customs this year to leave behind the bar at my local and one of them had a weird defect on the ferrule. It appeared the ferrule had been chipped and repaired resulting in a very sloppy looking ferrule/tip fit. The tip itself also had not been taken down properly leaving me wondering whether what i bought was new or not.The other lucasi on the otherhand, was fine.

After writing to the online retailer with photos, nothing was done as they said it was not covered.

All all my other cue purchases ( predator, molinari ) have been spot on without QC issues ( except Revo ). The tips, ferrules etc are all first class.

Thats a load of crap and I would steer clear of the online retailer you purchased your cues from. Lucasi makes a very good cue at the price point. I have owned several over the years and never had an issue with any of them. On top of that Lucasi cues are distributed by Cue & Case in St. Augustine Florida, if you had a problem with the cue you would send it to them for Warranty/Replacement and from my experience with them recently your cue would either be repaired properly or replaced. Again it sounds to me like you got screwed by the retailer not by the brand.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've been on this forum for 9 years and have read posts about almost every production cue and quite a few custom cues having defects or some type of problems.
Just like almost every manufactured product a few duds get out out to the public.
The way the builder or seller takes care of the problem is what you have to look out.
Your comment to steer clear of Lucasi is pure blasphemy,your punishment will start at the crack of noon.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I detected a disturbance in The Force and indeed it drew me here.

Your comment to steer clear of Lucasi is pure blasphemy,your punishment will start at the crack of noon.

These words ring loud and clear.

There is the problem!

Interesting that the retailer was not named and we were not told to steer clear of that retailer.

The crack of noon draws near. Blasphemy will not be tolerated. Transgressions will be accounted for.

Bigbrown66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My recommendation is buy an older McDermott...d series if you can find one. If your going to buy a new one, the G core series are very solid. My wife had a lucky series, and for 50 bucks...a very solid well made cue. My Vikings are older so I cannot speak of the new ones.