Have you competed against a touring pro?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Pro players play all types of events.

who have you beaten in a tournament?

Were you surprised by their level of play?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I played Santos Sambajon in the weekly SUnday 9 ball tournament at Hard Times in Bellflower.

I had a few chances in a couple of games, but ultimately lost 8-0. I wasn't exactly surprised by how well he played. I know he can compete with anybody in the world. It definitely felt like I was playing the ghost though in that I knew if I missed I would almost assuredly not get back to the table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played a few. No wins, yet. One thing i noticed was how they don't take ANY shot lightly. I remember playing Matlock for dinner back in the day. He was like a man possessed just playing for a steak. He shot EVERY shot like it might be last one he ever took. He tortured me and off we went for ribeyes.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was lucky enough to play a few games with Dave Bollman in the late 80s. Really good player and really nice fellow.

He asked me one time if he could tell me something for which I said "absolutely". He then said this,

"stop trying to get straight in on every shot. You're trying so hard to get straight in that you are coming up short or going long......just get it close"

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have played many european pros and have beaten some of them. If I go by current Eurotour ranking https://eurotouronline.com/eurotour-ranking/ I have beaten these players out of TOP50:
Wiktor Zielenski
Ralf Souquet
Tomasz Kaplan
Jakub Koniar
Mieszko Fortunski
Nick Malai
Radoslaw Babica
Marek Kudlik
Daniel Maciol
Michal Turkowski
Janni Siekkinen

Other notable close encounters (lost matches):
Eklent Kaci 8:9 (last week at Eurotour, he got brutally lucky towards the end of the match :p)
Roman Hybler 8:9 (from 8:2 up...:angry:)
Nick van den Berg 4:5 (from 4:2..)

Not sure if all these are touring "pros" (whatever that term means) but you get the picture ;)

The most impressive game against me was played by David Alcaide who killed me in 10b 1:8 in 21 mins :eek::D No mistakes, just once out of perfect position...by 5 inches:thumbup:
Second most impressive game against me was performed by Albin Ouschan who gave me a sweeet donut, basically I consider Albin as the most complete player with insanely strong offense and perfect defense. ;)

WinnerBreaks

Registered
Dennis Hatch is from my home town (Buffalo NY). His uncle, Mark Hatch still lives there and plays in my same pool hall several nights a week - taught Dennis much of what he knows. Denis still stops by Bison Billiards several times a year.

I never played against him in a tournament but have played him in a race to 3 in 8 ball. I had a break and run our first game. He then beat me 3-1 overall. He's very good.

Naturally the locals want to get a shot at Dennis whenever he's in town.

Last edited:

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I once played Nick Varner in a charity fundraiser match. The certificate says I "came in 2nd". LOL.

I played earl Strickland a game of 8-Ball when he was doing a promotional appearance for a new Pool room that had just opened.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played against several and was very surprised.

Archer, Sky, LoreeJon, Hall, Moora, Gomez, Chohan

poolwhiz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been fortunate to have beaten several pros.I beat Buddy Hall in Chattanooga,Tenn. I believe it was I'm the early eighties. Beat Keith McCready at Wagon Wheels Willies in College.Park,Ga. (might have been in a mini tourney). Also at W W Willies (I didn't win but I gave him a good match) I lost to Earl 11-10. Beat Johnny in Macon,Ga. I believe it was Macon that I also beat Stevie Moore. Might have been at a different time. Someone was videoing Stevie I believe. Beat Tommy Kennedy in Panama City,Fl. at Hot Shot billiards,(No longer there). last but not least beat Tony Crosby and Scotty Townsend at Starcade Billiards in Ft. Walton Beach,Fl. I believe those wins were in a mini tourney. Not bragging, just proud like you to have been fortunate to have beating a lot of good players. At best I considered myself a short-stop.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in an open tournament a couple months ago where I finished 4th. My 2 losses
were to Johnathon Hennessee and Alex Olinger. I also played Shane Winters in a
tournament about 3 years ago. I didn't win any sets but I didn't get killed either

poolwhiz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also would like to add that I've seen other under- dogs win occasionally and they were just as happy as me. Most of the pros were cordial in defeat. Thanks Larry Hayes

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Never in a tournament, but many times have played sets against them in our poolroom. Notably, Allison Fisher, Gerda Hofstatter, Karen Corr, Kelly Fisher, Ewa Laurance, Ramil Gallego, Antonio Lining and Mike Gulassy are some that come to mind. I always go in to these challenges with great excitement and anticipation of holding my own, usually only to be humbled and reminded very quickly the vast difference in my skill level and consistency compared to theirs.

The frustrating thing from my experience in playing pro players, and I guess part of this is may be mental - it immediately puts you out of your comfort zone, which makes it very hard to play up to your potential that you usually are able to play at against other players.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been fortunate to have beaten several pros.I beat Buddy Hall in Chattanooga,Tenn. I believe it was I'm the early eighties. Beat Keith McCready at Wagon Wheels Willies in College.Park,Ga. (might have been in a mini tourney). Also at W W Willies (I didn't win but I gave him a good match) I lost to Earl 11-10. Beat Johnny in Macon,Ga. I believe it was Macon that I also beat Stevie Moore. Might have been at a different time. Someone was videoing Stevie I believe. Beat Tommy Kennedy in Panama City,Fl. at Hot Shot billiards,(No longer there). last but not least beat Tony Crosby and Scotty Townsend at Starcade Billiards in Ft. Walton Beach,Fl. I believe those wins were in a mini tourney. Not bragging, just proud like you to have been fortunate to have beating a lot of good players. At best I considered myself a short-stop.
If you beat Buddy in the early 80's then you played REALLY sporty as that was was the height of his powers. I'm impressed 'cause i saw the man play a lot back then and he didn't lose very often. Nice record against some monster players. Good shootin brother.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You must be a great player. Those are some great players you either beat or hung tough with

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Mike Dechaine was in our pool room a year or so ago on our league night, playing challenge matches and prop shot bets... I didn't get in there with him, had a lot of fun watching my buddies taking turns tho. If there had been more time, perhaps I'd have taken a turn. It was a fun night, regardless.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I played Santos Sambajon in the weekly SUnday 9 ball tournament at Hard Times in Bellflower.

I had a few chances in a couple of games, but ultimately lost 8-0. I wasn't exactly surprised by how well he played. I know he can compete with anybody in the world. It definitely felt like I was playing the ghost though in that I knew if I missed I would almost assuredly not get back to the table.

Did you win the lag?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have not played a pro in a tournament, but have played them several times just to play them or in a cheap $20 set or something.

You can see the differences in how they play vs normal players right away in person.

Ever since I have seen Alex P. play when he was like 18, the pro players seem to have a different hit on the cueball than even A players, like it's a sweet spot hit every time.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you win the lag?

I won the coin flip.

I actually played well in the first game, ran 6 balls but then left myself a tough, long draw shot that I jarred/bobbled.

I think I got to the table 1 or 2 more times after that, but I hooked myself.

Oh well! It was a nice experience just to play somebody of that caliber (I can have some moments of good play, but I'm not anywhere close to a great player).

I was most impressed by how he almost never got of line or so easily recovered if he did. Also, that he could reach so many shots on a 9 footer (he must be 5'5" at most).