Insurance Balls

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Insurance_Balls.jpg

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this was not the immediate intent of the author but I just wanted to mention -

Using the 6-ball as a break-shot not only takes away a valuable insurance option, it's also sending the cluster toward other balls. there is an excellent chance you're going to tie-up more stuff.

There are actually a few insurance-balls if you use the 3-ball to break open the cluster. In fact, you can hit either side of the 5-ball and be assured another shot.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
David: From whom should I look to purchase your book from? I am realizing the wealth of information you've packed into it and I would like a copy.

VKJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
David: From whom should I look to purchase your book from? I am realizing the wealth of information you've packed into it and I would like a copy.

I actually asked for info to get this book as well but got no reply.

I am very interested in buying a copy as well.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fully understand the intent of what you are saying here. But with this particular layout, I would have to disagree. If you use the 3 for a breakout, the 14 will go into the 11 and, depending on speed, I could lose that as a break ball. I think I would shoot the 6 and bring the cueball up between the 10 and the 4. That 10-14 combo is dead in the corner. The 8 will go off the 5 to where the 6 was. The 5 will go near the other corner. The 10, depending on the angle and speed, will move over a few inches for another good break ball. Still have plenty of insurance balls out there.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Neil said:
I fully understand the intent of what you are saying here. But with this particular layout, I would have to disagree. If you use the 3 for a breakout, the 14 will go into the 11 and, depending on speed, I could lose that as a break ball. I think I would shoot the 6 and bring the cueball up between the 10 and the 4. That 10-14 combo is dead in the corner. The 8 will go off the 5 to where the 6 was. The 5 will go near the other corner. The 10, depending on the angle and speed, will move over a few inches for another good break ball. Still have plenty of insurance balls out there.

The 10-14 combination is not dead. The purpose of this was to teach about insurance balls. If you can find a way to run it out without adhering to what was shown in the diagram, knock yourself out. Just remember that the message was intended to teach about insurance balls. If you see another way that works then use that. Don't forget that the 10-14 is NOT a dead combination. If the diagram insinuates that, then I apologize. The 10-14 was diagrammed to hit before the pocket, thus forcing the player to break out the cluster at some point.

For those who have expressed interest in purchasing this book, be advised that due to the lack of sales of this material, I stopped selling copies many years ago. I can make it available for download in pdf form and ask Mike to post the file somewhere within the website, but I do not have a large quantity of hard copies available, nor do I intend to produce them at all. When I am finished creating the pdf file, I will make a post announcing when and where it will be available for download. It will be a free download.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
For those who have expressed interest in purchasing this book, be advised that due to the lack of sales of this material, I stopped selling copies many years ago. I can make it available for download in pdf form and ask Mike to post the file somewhere within the website, but I do not have a large quantity of hard copies available, nor do I intend to produce them at all. When I am finished creating the pdf file, I will make a post announcing when and where it will be available for download. It will be a free download.
Sorry I missed your PM (my box was full), but a good idea would be to make it an e-book in pdf form. Have the customers here donate a certain amount via paypal. You would then e-mail them the text. An eBay ad would be another good idea...every $ helps.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
The 10-14 combination is not dead. The purpose of this was to teach about insurance balls. If you can find a way to run it out without adhering to what was shown in the diagram, knock yourself out. Just remember that the message was intended to teach about insurance balls. If you see another way that works then use that. Don't forget that the 10-14 is NOT a dead combination. If the diagram insinuates that, then I apologize. The 10-14 was diagrammed to hit before the pocket, thus forcing the player to break out the cluster at some point.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers a little bit. That was NOT my intention. On the diagram the 10-14 are a dead combo. I went by that. Sometimes even a blind squirrel can find an acorn, and I felt I found one. Just to keep it straight. Your knowledge of this game is far superior to mine. And I always look forward to your posts to gain new insight. ---And please post your books, I have read parts of them online, and find them invaluable. Your posts are the ones I look forward to. ------ Boy, does this ever sound like a suck-up post.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil said:
Sorry if I ruffled your feathers a little bit. That was NOT my intention. On the diagram the 10-14 are a dead combo. I went by that. Sometimes even a blind squirrel can find an acorn, and I felt I found one. Just to keep it straight. Your knowledge of this game is far superior to mine. And I always look forward to your posts to gain new insight. ---And please post your books, I have read parts of them online, and find them invaluable. Your posts are the ones I look forward to. ------ Boy, does this ever sound like a suck-up post.

Don't feel bad. Somebody always does what you did when a diagram is posted. I sometimes post a diagram to make a point about something like coming off a rail with inside english. Then somebody posts and says, yeah, but if you hit the 5 ball instead of the 10 then you don't need any inside english. :)

dwhite

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
I definitely look forward to reading your book David. I remember years ago when I started playing pool I wanted to purchase it because your articles really helped me. But I was just a poor college student then. I barely had money for a cheap cue.:)

Anyways, thanks for all your work!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
combo

OK, blackjack, maybe the combo isn't dead, but you could always jump over the first ball, landing inbetween the two balls, popping the 14 straight in the corner. This shot can be made with just a center ball jump, eliminating the curve/deflection/throw/miscue possibilities that you create with your 1/4 tip of outside in your break out diagram........it blows me away that you ever get past 3 balls........

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
3 balls? Me? I have a hard time getting past 2.

Speaking of 3 balls, David. In your avatar, it looks like you're about to eat that 3 ball. I keep thinking one of those days you will, but it never changes.:rolleyes:

dwhite

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Dan

FWIW, I recently had to shut the avatars off because some of them are getting ridiculously offensive and stupid. Some of the children need to grow up and realize that what they find entertaining is not suitable for children, the work environment, or viewing the forum in a public place.
:rolleyes:

About that picture:

I had to thread the needle with it - which is why I was looking at it from all angles. I looked at it for a while with that look on my face, so in his frustration, my opponent snapped the picture and actually blinded me with the flash - which really pissed me off. I made shot and ran out anyway, although I think my opponent should have been tossed from the tournament for purposely blinding me with the flash.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Dan

FWIW, I recently had to shut the avatars off because some of them are getting ridiculously offensive and stupid. Some of the children need to grow up and realize that what they find entertaining is not suitable for children, the work environment, or viewing the forum in a public place.
:rolleyes:

About that picture:

I had to thread the needle with it - which is why I was looking at it from all angles. I looked at it for a while with that look on my face, so in his frustration, my opponent snapped the picture and actually blinded me with the flash - which really pissed me off. I made shot and ran out anyway, although I think my opponent should have been tossed from the tournament for purposely blinding me with the flash.

That's an interesting story. I didn't mean for you to change your avatar though!

dwhite